Things We've Learned During the Board Wars

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Bond...James Bond wrote:Here's what the king says.

On reflection, I'm done. I've grown very tired of my character and personality being a focus here (and elsewhere). I don't need it. Thick-skinned though I am, I'm weary of the insults and the gratuitous assaults. I'm tired of my sense of humor being completely misinterpreted and my writing style treated as evidence of malevolence and vanity, and have come to think that my participation on this board simply opens me up to gross misinterpretation. I'm interested in discussing issues, but not at all interested in discussing myself. It has always struck me as unseemly for me to be continually obliged to defend myself against charges (typically by people who've never met me) that I'm mean, hateful, bigoted, arrogant, gluttonous, dishonest, and the like. The Pantsman and blueadept nonsense is simply the last straw.

Accordingly, from here on out, I'll limit my participation on this board to occasionally announcing publications that I think people ought to know about.

I imagine that there will be considerable crowing in certain circles, and cynical predictions that I'll be back soon, but, frankly, I don't much care. I've wasted too much time on message boards anyway.

Best wishes to all.

He's done this several times before -- I recall at least once at ZLMB and twice at FAIR, over the years. He'll be back ... he always comes back.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

If I were able to communicate with Dr. Peterson, I would recommend he take that three day retreat to the Huntsville Monastery for some quiet time and a chance to center himself and regain serenity (and not take his laptop computer).
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_cksalmon
_Emeritus

Post by _cksalmon »

I think what LDS posters on MAD want is a forum to discuss things civilly among themselves, with respectful non-LDS "goading," if I may. by the way, I think that happens here, too, from time to time. (Cue C3PO suggesting the odds that R2D2 may be wrong about the Hoth survivability rate.)

I do begrudge, to a certain degree, the fact that pro-LDS victories there sometimes seem too easily won. But, let's face it, moderation is, far and away, less stringent here on MDB, than at MADB. I don't view that as a pro or con situation. That's just how it is.

I'm basically a lurker here on MDB. So, I don't know the ins and the outs of the board as much as more seasoned posters.

There are certain believing LDS posters on MADB for which I have a great deal of respect. I consider them to be sort of "cyberfriends." I'm probably equally offended by rabid TBM postings there, and there are plenty, as I am by rabid, if I may, "anti-Mormon" postings there or elsewhere.

Which is not to say that I think all truth claims are equally valid. I don't.

But, I don't mind TBM MADB posters voicing the truth of their convictions. Sometimes, I wish I could believe in something so strongly and purposively as do they. My confusion stems from the times when I see truth claims presented without warrant. Or with very little, and eminently dismissible, warrant.

I do try to point out where conviction may have overstepped its bounds into the realm of unreasonable, and unreasoned, faith in the highly implausible.

All in all, I like MADB. I haven't run into more than a (very loud) handful of folks who are utterly incorrigible there.

I think it's a pretty good community, for what it is. There's always that caveat.

But, I happen to find some form of non-dismissible cyber community there.

I'm hoping that happens here, too. But, I'm a newbie, so give me time.

Best.

CKS
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Bond...James Bond wrote:11) The winner of the board wars is: Mormon Discussions. Here's the reasons....

1) MAD posters coming here (by the way: Welcome why me, Steuss, alter idem, anyone else I can't think of)

2) MAD losing the moral high ground (or as Dude said "devolving")

3) Juliann once again being her own worse enemy----(The liz fiasco, cherry picking quotes, etc)

Thank you for the welcome. But, I can assure you that having me come to any board is not a victory, it is a defeat. I fear that my mere presence lowers the overall appeal of any board.

Luvs, Hugs, and Gangsta's wearing Lugs,
Stu

PS.
I agree with Runtu in his/her wisdom. Nobody wins in such events. Everyone loses.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

On FAIR, I used to feel the board needed less moderation--that the posters could moderate themselves, but after the recent foray into looser standards, it is clear MADB needs stricter moderation. There were a handful who abused the fact that they could get away with more and it did not help the discussions--their remarks also colored my perception of them in an unflattering way.

I don't know how this affected others, but it made me seriously question my own participation there. I'm not sure I wish to have negative interactions with other LDS members. It is not conducive to strengthening feelings of fellowship I should have for other Latter-day saints.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Alter Idem wrote:On FAIR, I used to feel the board needed less moderation--that the posters could moderate themselves, but after the recent foray into looser standards, it is clear MADB needs stricter moderation. There were a handful who abused the fact that they could get away with more and it did not help the discussions--their remarks also colored my perception of them in an unflattering way.

I don't know how this affected others, but it made me seriously question my own participation there. I'm not sure I wish to have negative interactions with other LDS members. It is not conducive to strengthening feelings of fellowship I should have for other Latter-day saints.

In your opinion - due to the 'lessened moderation', what % of posters requiring moderation were LDS, and what % were critics?

In my opinion, it was the LDS that kind of 'let loose'. But I may have been seeing things through my critic colored glasses.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:He's done this several times before -- I recall at least once at ZLMB and twice at FAIR, over the years. He'll be back ... he always comes back.

Yes, he's left before, only to return shortly thereafter under a different name.

I guess I'm too cynical, but I think if he really wanted discussion, and not have his personality be in the spotlight, he'd limit himself to posts wherein he discusses topics of his choice. Instead, he starts threads about what the posters on RfM are saying about him, he discusses his enemies insults. No one on MAD would ever dream of starting a thread about what's being said on RfM, except DCP. His comments ring hollow. If he really wanted to have discussions about topics of his choice with serious posters and substantial discussion, he'd join the Celestial forum here or post only in the Pundits forum there. That he does neither tells us all how serious he is about serious discussion.

Sorry, Daniel. I don't believe you want serious discussion. If you'd like to turn over a new leaf, I'm all for that, but the time has come to put up or shut up. Let's see only serious discussion from you before you start hammering others for their lack of serious discussion.
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

Who Knows wrote:In your opinion - due to the 'lessened moderation', what % of posters requiring moderation were LDS, and what % were critics?

In my opinion, it was the LDS that kind of 'let loose'. But I may have been seeing things through my critic colored glasses.

I only saw LDS posters who were offenders. As I pointed out on sput's thread, We could see that more was being allowed, but it was only the LDS posters who were taking advantage of the loosening standards. I did not see critics try and push the limits. Sput cited Beasties' questioning his age as one example, but it was asked on this board and it wasn't much of an insult, if you ask me. Besides, it was a legitimate question since if he had been younger, she would have cut him a little bit more slack.

Also, most critics who might have tried to take advantage of the loosening up were not there, as they'd already been banned.
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

harmony wrote:I guess I'm too cynical, but I think if he really wanted discussion, and not have his personality be in the spotlight, he'd limit himself to posts wherein he discusses topics of his choice. Instead, he starts threads about what the posters on RfM are saying about him, he discusses his enemies insults. No one on MAD would ever dream of starting a thread about what's being said on RfM, except DCP. His comments ring hollow. If he really wanted to have discussions about topics of his choice with serious posters and substantial discussion, he'd join the Celestial forum here or post only in the Pundits forum there. That he does neither tells us all how serious he is about serious discussion.

I think the MADB mods have to take some responsibility for their own leniency with him. You are right that MADB posters all know we are not supposed to start personal threads but when he starts them, they are allowed. This only inflames his critics and opens him up to being the target of more insults on other boards like RFM; and thus the cycle continues. The mods at MADB should have stuck to their rules, as sometimes we can be our own worst enemies-and Dr. Peterson would have benefited from the rules being upheld.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

harmony wrote:Yes, he's left before, only to return shortly thereafter under a different name.

I guess I'm too cynical, but I think if he really wanted discussion, and not have his personality be in the spotlight, he'd limit himself to posts wherein he discusses topics of his choice. Instead, he starts threads about what the posters on RfM are saying about him, he discusses his enemies insults. No one on MAD would ever dream of starting a thread about what's being said on RfM, except DCP. His comments ring hollow. If he really wanted to have discussions about topics of his choice with serious posters and substantial discussion, he'd join the Celestial forum here or post only in the Pundits forum there. That he does neither tells us all how serious he is about serious discussion.

Sorry, Daniel. I don't believe you want serious discussion. If you'd like to turn over a new leaf, I'm all for that, but the time has come to put up or shut up. Let's see only serious discussion from you before you start hammering others for their lack of serious discussion.

Excellent points, Harmony. I spent a fair amount of time responding to his recent FARMS Review intro and all he did in response was sputter, and claim that he was "misunderstood."