RFM Interviews Kerry Shirts!!!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
consiglieri
Prophet

Re: RFM Interviews Kerry Shirts!!!

Post by consiglieri »

Not to get all psychoanalytical or anything, but I found very interesting how one of the most indefatigable apologists for the church felt compelled to do so out of a sense of guilt placed on him by the very institution he almost killed himself to defend.

It was all smiles whenever we saw Kerry as apologist.

I would never have dreamed he was expiation guilt the church placed on him for a failed marriage the church pushed him into.

Similar to blood atonement, perhaps.

Not to suggest that Kerry found no joy in his avocation, which he obviously did.

But all the while this dark side kept neatly out of sight.

I really appreciated your being so open, Kerry, and giving us a glimpse into what makes you tick.
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

I listened the entire podcast last night, which is a bit of an accomplishment because I usually can't listen to podcasts unless they can really hold my attention. I remember Barksdale from the AOL 3.0 chatrooms and message boards, never knew about those misappropriated funds.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Hey, if nothing else, we are at least raising a HUGE ruckus in the comments section with an apologist who is brazenly misusing Ritner and claiming Joseph Smith was right and the Egyptologists have been debunked! And he is using RFM's/Dehlin's Mormon Stories interview of Ritner to make his case!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
What fun!
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Imagine if RFM could get Kerry Shirts, The Backyard Professor, and Philo Sofee all on the one podcast!

To top it off, they could have consiglieri run the show!!
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:11 pm
Hey, if nothing else, we are at least raising a HUGE ruckus in the comments section with an apologist who is brazenly misusing Ritner and claiming Joseph Smith was right and the Egyptologists have been debunked! And he is using RFM's/Dehlin's Mormon Stories interview of Ritner to make his case!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
What fun!
Really curious about why Kerry moved a step back from atheism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Rivendale wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:58 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:11 pm
What fun!
Just still exploring... sure atheists have refuted gods that have been invented so far. But it does not follow any of those inventions are all there is. The vast majority are simply anthropomorphic extensions of humans. That's a mighty narrow class of gods I would say.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:05 pm
Rivendale wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:58 pm

Just still exploring... sure atheists have refuted gods that have been invented so far. But it does not follow any of those inventions are all there is. The vast majority are simply anthropomorphic extensions of humans. That's a mighty narrow class of gods I would say.
Do you think the label is a deterrent?
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:05 pm

The vast majority are simply anthropomorphic extensions of humans.
It makes all the sense in the world to me though I think you might have it reversed. But we won't know until we know or until we aren't able to know anything ever again.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I told myself that I was just going to listen to a half hour for now and I ended up listening to the whole thing. I'd say RFM definitely needs to have Kerry back one day. There are many loose ends, but here are two I'd really like answers to:

- The peer review process. It was said that much more is known about this than what had been said, but we were left with a teaser of Dan and John yuking it up over socking it to a critic.

- Hugh Nibley wrote an actual essay on evolution? Are you kidding me? I've always felt I had Nibley pinned down on some of these topics by nuggets he leaves along the way, and I concluded that he didn't really want to take some of these naturalistic topics head on -- evolution, source criticism. If he wrote an actual paper to refute evolution (or evaluate it at any length) then that overturns what I've always believed about the guy.

Rivendale:

If you go to the last ~15 minutes of the interview, Kerry explains why he's not an atheist anymore.

1) he's found atheist writers while powerful to be dogmatic
2) he's open to conceptions of God outside of the standard Christian party line; the books he's read are heavily geared toward Christianity.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:57 am
I told myself that I was just going to listen to a half hour for now and I ended up listening to the whole thing. I'd say RFM definitely needs to have Kerry back one day. There are many loose ends, but here are two I'd really like answers to:

- The peer review process. It was said that much more is known about this than what had been said, but we were left with a teaser of Dan and John yuking it up over socking it to a critic.

- Hugh Nibley wrote an actual essay on evolution? Are you kidding me? I've always felt I had Nibley pinned down on some of these topics by nuggets he leaves along the way, and I concluded that he didn't really want to take some of these naturalistic topics head on -- evolution, source criticism. If he wrote an actual paper to refute evolution (or evaluate it at any length) then that overturns what I've always believed about the guy.

Rivendale:

If you go to the last ~15 minutes of the interview, Kerry explains why he's not an atheist anymore.

1) he's found atheist writers while powerful to be dogmatic
2) he's open to conceptions of God outside of the standard Christian party line; the books he's read are heavily geared toward Christianity.
I would like to know how they are dogmatic. There is no dogma in atheism. It is a rejection of the claims. How can that be dogmatic?