RFM Interviews Kerry Shirts!!!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: RFM Interviews Kerry Shirts!!!

Post by Philo Sofee »

I think you all are exaggerating a bit, but know this, it was very fun, and I am certainly up for more torture and mayhem..... :lol:
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Kerry , It would difficult not to find you likable. You make enjoyable presentation. I was at times amazed at your word volume even back on utlm. So you went to a conference and spoke and spoke and spoke. If your enthusiasm was not real your words and words would become grim.
Jason Bourne
Star A

Post by Jason Bourne »

I am about half way through the interview and enjoying it very much. Kerry may not recall but I go way back with him in the apologetic days. If I recall we were both on the email list he discusses that included Barry Bickmore, Kevin Barney, John Tvedtness, Mike Parker, Dan Paterson and many others. And I attended that first FAIR conference in California when Kerry spoke for hours on end so it was amusing to hear him relate the story. I was always impressed with Kerry's depth of knowledge and unbound enthusiastic energy. It was fun the hear him again and see that he still has it.
Jason Bourne
Star A

Post by Jason Bourne »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:26 am
It seems to me that they judge all else by their own experience, or rather lack thereof. They present their own view as the only reality worth knowing and only reality possible because their experience is the reality for everyone. That's what I mean by dogmatic. If they want their experience to be their reality that's fine. Mine is mine. They don't get to present their view as the reality and all else as phony. It's just the opposite of the fundamentalist fanatics. Everyone appears too sure of their own view as being the only reality and mocking others who don't have their real view.
Would love to discuss this with you some time.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

THANK YOU, consiglieri and Kerry Shirts, for a truly spectacular podcast! The subject's enthusiasm was infectious and it was a very worthy investment of my time. I agree with others that Philo Sofee simply MUST be brought back on for an encore. Next time, may I suggest soliciting questions from us here and allowing him answer them?

Out of many interesting revelations, one shocked me to my core: "Several Mormon apologists at BYU know the gig is up?" Say WHAT?? I'm having a tough time swallowing that one, 'cause if any of them lost their faith they'd simply quit doing Mopologetics and go back to teaching.

Will you please elucidate, Kerry?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

I have a commitment from Kerry to come back on the show for an encore.

I would be very happy to ask him questions of your choosing.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

consiglieri wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:21 am
I have a commitment from Kerry to come back on the show for an encore.
FANTASTIC! That's the best news I've heard all day!
I would be very happy to ask him questions of your choosing.
Almost as good! Here are mine so far:
  1. The FAIR email list and "l-skinny" are two different things, right?
  2. What was the discussion on the FAIR email list like when I first identified the Internet Mormon / Chapel Mormon dichotomy? The more detailed you can be, the better.
  3. What were your experiences with Louis C. Midgley* like, and what's your opinion of him now?

*The "C" stands for "Colvin," right?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Tator
CTR B

Post by Tator »

sock puppet wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:30 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:25 pm

Thank you Mr. Shirts for doing the interview, I really enjoyed listening to what you had to say. Years ago I remember watching your You Tube videos and thinking, dang this guy would be fun to hang around! You should think about starting a podcast.
Kerry is fun to hang around with. I miss the days with Kerry of wings (and for me, beer) at Lucy's Pizza and BWW, with the every affable Tater too. Or early morning coffee with Kerry at Mitchel's. The conversations were the best.
I think there was some or a lot of Scotch Ale washing down that pizza, if I remember correctly.

I'm going to be back in Idaho in a couple weeks, we got to get together. Kerry is a "what you see is what you get" kind of guy, very infectious in all the best ways. Great interview, more to come I hope.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

In response to an attack on RFM’s ‘character’ by Kiwi57 a poster comes to their defense and is treated thusly:
NoMoMo55 > Kiwi57

For whatever purpose, RFM consistently displays greatly intelligence, grace and good humor than I've even seen from you. I'd pick him "for my team" any day of the week....But, I do suppose that you and Louis can die happy in the fact that your brand of militant apologetics will be remembered only for it's crudeness, it's cruelty, it's crudity and it's vile nature; in infamy really. Well done, Russ. Well done.

—————-

DanielPeterson Mod > NoMoMo55

NMM55: "For whatever purpose, RFM consistently displays greatly intelligence, grace and good humor than I've even seen from you. I'd pick him "for my team" any day of the week....But, I do suppose that you and Louis can die happy in the fact that your brand of militant apologetics will be remembered only for it's crudeness, it's cruelty and it's vile nature; in infamy really. Well done, Russ. Well done."

I'm always astonished to see folks from your place boasting of their superior charity and politeness.

Save it for your place.

The count starts now. 5 PM, Utah time, 8 July 2021.

—————

That Little crap > DanielPeterson

Dan: Please give NMM55 the boot. We do not need his rubbish on sic et non
One thing I noticed about Mopologists is their tissue-paper-thin-skinned personalities. Oh, sure DCP can larp about how ‘evil’ he is as a means of sticking it to a critic or whatever, but man, when he or one of his crybullies are on the receiving end of a pointed, and accurate, criticism they really struggle with it.

Once again it bears pointing out that DCP, Kiwi57, and That Little crap, like the bullies they are, remain safely ensconced behind Dan’s skirt, as it were, because they know they can’t hack it without serious top cover.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor CamNC4Me
Once again it bears pointing out that DCP, Kiwi57, and That Little crap, like the bullies they are, remain safely ensconced behind Dan’s skirt, as it were, because they know they can’t hack it without serious top cover.
A succinct and valuable observation good Doctor...