What is or is not a Mormon???

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

What is or is not a Mormon???

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

What makes someone a TBM Mormon???

What makes someone a regular Mormon???

What makes someone a only Sunday Mormon or a cafeteria Mormon??? (I think I know what that means)

What makes someone a NON-MORMON???

What makes someone an EX-MORMON???

What makes someone an ANTI-MORMON???

I am lost as to the differences as many others are.

Are there any differences really, are we all Mormons???

I would like some clarification as to the differences between what separates us all from each other.

Maybe we are not separate at all, maybe we are all the same?

Who knows???? or for that matter who cares.......

I hope everything I just posted makes sense......
Answer the best you can...thanks
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

I think that a TBM Mormon is really someone who is ultra zealous in their leanings, rigid, unable to compromise, fundamentalist. These are in my opinion, a scourge on the church. Sadly, many who are in leadership in the church are TBMs, so they just keep on spreading their issues.

A regular Mormon to me, is someone who to an extent has the common sense to use their minds on extreme issues with the church, but for the most part does as told.

A cafeteria Mormon is someone who chooses to let their conscience be their guide, rather than SLC and its dictates.

I think a Sunday only Mormon is kind of different, though like fundies and evangelicals, the sunday Mormon can also be a cafeteria Mormon. The sunday Mormon is like what is called a "one day a week Christian", someone who is pious on sunday, but speaks another behavioral language every other day of the week.

A non Mormon is someone who has never been LDS.

An ex-Mormon is someone who was once LDS but has left the church.

I think that due to the intricacies of LDS life and the LDS lifestyle, the above labels can be helpful, though I think that its important not to let those labels be too much of a hinderance to a person's journey, wherever that may lead.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Another thought: Yes, we are all human, and more alike than many would like to think. But until we cease being a fear-based society, humans will always see differences. It's a way of creating boundaries within which folks can feel safe.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Uncle Dale
_Emeritus

Post by _Uncle Dale »

GIMR wrote:A non Mormon is someone who has never been LDS.

Would that make Warren Jeffs (FLDS) and Emma Hale Smith (RLDS) non-Mormons?

Or the Three Nephites? Or Moroni the son of Mormon? Or David Whitmer?

?????

Uncle Dale
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

What makes someone a TBM Mormon???

They are one and the same.

What makes someone a only Sunday Mormon or a cafeteria Mormon??? (I think I know what that means)

I think you do too.

If, for the sake of discussion, we ignore the other break-off sects that also accept the Book of Mormon as the word of God, then it is someone who does not belong to the LDS Church.

Someone who used to belong to the LDS Church. They are also NON-MORMON.

Someone who intentionally lies and sensationalizes about the LDS Church.

I would like some clarification as to the differences between what separates us all from each other.

Maybe we are not separate at all, maybe we are all the same?

Who knows???? or for that matter who cares.......

We are all the literal children of God. I don't care in the sense that everyone exercises their agency (freedom to choose) and are ultimately responsible for their own choices. I do care in the sense that we all once lived together with God and I would like to see all of you return and gain your full potential (Godhood).
_Uncle Dale
_Emeritus

Post by _Uncle Dale »

bcspace wrote:

Perhaps some might see it that way -- but I have been an anti-Mormon for most of my adult life. I remember
preaching against Mormonism at the Utah State Fair and elsewhere, as far back as 1979.

Other than my then saying that the RLDS Church was the one true church, nobody in all those years has
accused me of telling lies. And certainly nobody meant to say that I was telling an intentional falsehood, even
in my teaching that precept; (but, merely that I was the deluded memebr of a cult, etc.).

So, perhaps your definition needs a slight rewording.

????

Uncle Dale
_Pokatator
_Emeritus

Re: What is or is not a Mormon???

Post by _Pokatator »

OUT OF MY MISERY wrote:What makes someone a TBM Mormon???

Don't forget JACK
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

I was leaving JACK Mormon out on purpose...

I wanted answers from everyones viewpoints

So far your answers are pretty much what I expected and what I think also...

Is being a Mormon an all or nothing type of thing???

Can you get your feet wet and not be a Mormon or can the opposite be true as well can someone still be a Mormon but dangle their feet on the other side of things?
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

I am a ex/anti Mormon...
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Perhaps some might see it that way -- but I have been an anti-Mormon for most of my adult life. I remember
preaching against Mormonism at the Utah State Fair and elsewhere, as far back as 1979.

I do differentiate between antiMormons (as per my definition) and honest critics who legitimately debate or discuss the issues and differences they have regarding the LDS Church without resorting to yellow journalism.

Don't forget JACK

One who is a member but does not believe in or accept one or more significant doctrines and/or a host of minor ones. In my experience, they often go out of their way to remain ignorant in hopes (false hope) of later being able to excuse their beliefs and behavior.

And speaking of JACK, what about SQUAT? lol