Was Michaelangelo an...atheist?!?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Notoriuswun
_Emeritus

Was Michaelangelo an...atheist?!?

Post by _Notoriuswun »

I recently came across this while studying the "Creation of Adam", more commonly referred to as the centerpiece of the Sistine Chapel. It is one of the most famous pieces of art in the entire world. Ranking behind only the prestigious Mona Lisa in terms of common recognition.

Anyway, according to many reports, Michaelangelo was obsessed with the human body, he would often frequent morgues and dissect bodies for hours on end.

Now, knowing this, take a closer look at his magnificent "Birth of Man".

Notice anything unusual?

First notice how lackadaisical Adam appears. Also notice how God seems to be reaching out in earnest to reach Adam, yet his angels seem to be dissenting. Now, the real gem, look at the shape of the red robe encircling God and his angels. I don't think it was happenstance that this is how he created it.

Thoughts?
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I'm afraid I'm not seeing whatever it is you're seeing in the shape of the red robe. Care to explain?

Jersey Girl
_Notoriuswun
_Emeritus

Post by _Notoriuswun »

Jersey Girl wrote:I'm afraid I'm not seeing whatever it is you're seeing in the shape of the red robe. Care to explain?

Jersey Girl

I was going to give it a few more replies, but the discussion surrounding this is more exciting than me playing "guess what?"

From wiki:

Anatomical theories

Several hypotheses have been put forward about the meaning of The Creation of Adam's highly original composition, many of them taking Michelangelo's well-documented expertise in human anatomy as their starting point. In 1990 a physician named Frank Lynn Meshberger noted in the medical publication the Journal of the American Medical Association that the background figures and shapes portrayed behind the figure of God appeared to be an anatomically accurate picture of the human brain, including the frontal lobe, optic chiasm, brain stem, pituitary gland, and the major sulci of the cerebrum.

Indicating perhaps that the entire concept of God is one of the brain...a common, modern, atheist prospective.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Uh, you're free to play "guess what" if you like. Notriuswun. Speculation about the image of the human brain and the red robe as uterus isn't new. I fail to see how any of this points to atheism. I'm not saying that it doesn't, I'd just like to hear how you arrived at this possibility.

Jersey Girl
_Notoriuswun
_Emeritus

Post by _Notoriuswun »

Jersey Girl wrote:Uh, you're free to play "guess what" if you like. Notriuswun. Speculation about the image of the human brain and the red robe as uterus isn't new. I fail to see how any of this points to atheism. I'm not saying that it doesn't, I'd just like to hear how you arrived at this possibility.

Jersey Girl

All glibness aside, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see what this implies. : )

It perhaps says that God is a delusion...something made up by the brain. I don't know if you have studied Atheism...I have, and this is one of the core principles. (depending on who you read really, intellectual atheism is more fragmented than individuals at a GOP convention discussing the war in Iraq)
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Notoriuswun wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Uh, you're free to play "guess what" if you like. Notriuswun. Speculation about the image of the human brain and the red robe as uterus isn't new. I fail to see how any of this points to atheism. I'm not saying that it doesn't, I'd just like to hear how you arrived at this possibility.

Jersey Girl

All glibness aside, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see what this implies. : )

It perhaps says that God is a delusion...something made up by the brain. I don't know if you have studied Atheism...I have, and this is one of the core principles. (depending on who you read really, intellectual atheism is more fragmented than individuals at a GOP convention discussing the war in Iraq)

It also perhaps implies that God IS the brain and creative force (uterus) of the Universe. I suppose the true meaning of the piece is something we can never know.

Jersey Girl
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Notoriuswun,

What we're essentially attempting to interpret in the Michelangelo piece has to do with the age old question...Did God create us or did we create God? We can't know which is true, can we?

A popular topic on boards like this is the neurology of God belief. That is to say that some people are wired toward God belief. If that is so, what about the remaining portion of society who presumably is not wired for God belief? How does that explain the believer who becomes atheistic? How does that explain the atheist who comes to form a belief in God?

Are we wired for God belief because God created us in such a way so that we had the potential to intuit Him? So that we could communicate with Him?

When you know the answers, please tell me what they are.

Jersey Girl
_Notoriuswun
_Emeritus

Post by _Notoriuswun »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Notoriuswun wrote:

Jersey Girl

It also perhaps implies that God IS the brain and creative force (uterus) of the Universe. I suppose the true meaning of the piece is something we can never know.

Jersey Girl

Certainly.

Beauty (and meaning perhaps) is (always) in the eye of the beholder.

I just thought it was an interesting take on Michaelangelo's view of the Creation.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Notoriuswun wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
Notoriuswun wrote:

Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Certainly.

Beauty (and meaning perhaps) is (always) in the eye of the beholder.

I just thought it was an interesting take on Michaelangelo's view of the Creation.

But are you sure that it IS his view of the Creation? Was the piece commissioned by Rome? With whose approval was it released publicly? We don't know these things. Or at least I don't. Do you?

Jersey Girl
_Notoriuswun
_Emeritus

Post by _Notoriuswun »

Jersey Girl wrote:Notoriuswun,

What we're essentially attempting to interpret in the Michelangelo piece has to do with the age old question...Did God create us or did we create God? We can't know which is true, can we?

A popular topic on boards like this is the neurology of God belief. That is to say that some people are wired toward God belief. If that is so, what about the remaining portion of society who presumably is not wired for God belief? How does that explain the believer who becomes atheistic? How does that explain the atheist who comes to form a belief in God?

Are we wired for God belief because God created us in such a way so that we had the potential to intuit Him? So that we could communicate with Him?

When you know the answers, please tell me what they are.

Jersey Girl

We can't know for certain, no. Unless you are Richard Dawkins ; )

I personally believe that religion is most certainly a creation of man...mostly to instill a sense of morality. There could be no society without religion, as man had no basis for good and evil before this. The first structures created were Pagan temples, while man lived in caves. It would seem he felt guilty, as sacrifice (animal) was very common. Perhaps the real question isn't one of morality then, but one of guilt...why did man feel guilty?

As far as the second part, I think that some people are pre-disposed to believing in God...but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Mankind needs purpose, and (for some) purpose involves God.

Mankind (both on an individual level, and as a society) much reach his own conclusions if any progress is to be made.