Deceit in the BYU Religion Dept. and Deseret Book?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

maklelan wrote:Try Business Weekly's recruiter ratings from last year.

I'm curious, can you share the rankings. Despite my other feelings about BYU, I still take interest in the fortunes of the Marriott School. I have many good friends there, including the Dean Ned Hill, and I am happy for their success.
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Try Business Weekly's recruiter ratings from last year.

Do you have anything to say about Prof Gaskill and BYU/Deseret Book's presentation of his degree? That is your department, or close to it, isn't it?

Why the red herring about the business school? And weren't you the one who disparaged my use of the USNWR rankings, calling them useless? What makes Business Weekly's any more useful?
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

khameini wrote:These are good questions, Harmony that apparently don’t matter to a poster like Alter Idem. If Gaskill writes/teaches in support of LDS theology, who cares what he does. Unfortunately, however, there could be even more serious issues at stake than the quality of education offered at BYU:

Excuse me, Khameini, don't put words in my mouth. I did not say that as long as they support LDS theology it doesn't matter. I said, I personally, did not care about degrees. I don't choose the books I read by the honors or degrees a person holds. I stated that I liked Alonso Gaskill's book and I thought it was worth my time to read it and refer to it in my own studies. If you care about degrees you are free to disregard his works.
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

harmony wrote:

Do you have anything to say about Prof Gaskill and BYU/Deseret Book's presentation of his degree? That is your department, or close to it, isn't it?

I don't know that man and its not anywhere near my department.

harmony wrote:Why the red herring about the business school? And weren't you the one who disparaged my use of the USNWR rankings, calling them useless? What makes Business Weekly's any more useful?

Because that's the list I referrred to.
I like you Betty...

My blog
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

maklelan wrote:
harmony wrote:

I don't know that man and its not anywhere near my department.

My mistake. Somehow I thought you were close to the Religion dept.

harmony wrote:Why the red herring about the business school? And weren't you the one who disparaged my use of the USNWR rankings, calling them useless? What makes Business Weekly's any more useful?

Because that's the list I referrred to.

So you claim the usefulness of a specific list is based on whether or not you refer to it? And once again you demonstrate the BYU Attitude so decried by our leaders.
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

harmony wrote:My mistake. Somehow I thought you were close to the Religion dept.

Easy mistake. I'm in Ancient Near Eastern Studies, which is a part of the Kennedy Center's International Studies.

harmony wrote:So you claim the usefulness of a specific list is based on whether or not you refer to it? And once again you demonstrate the BYU Attitude so decried by our leaders.

I didn't proclaim anything useless, I referred to a specific ranking and when someone produced a different one I pointed them in the direction I came from. I never said anything was useless.
I like you Betty...

My blog