Bill Maher takes on Mormonism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Runtu wrote:
liz3564 wrote:Obviously, Peterson's comments were bigotted. I don't think you're going to get any kind of an argument about that. He was obviously wrong....VERY WRONG.

But the Church has evolved since then. We don't believe this anymore. We never should have believed it in the first place.

But let's deal with the here and now. Is this attitude currently being preached? I think you would be hard pressed to say that it is.

My biggest issue with the church on racism is that the racist stuff is still in the books held up as canonical scripture. It's interesting that they can say that Song of Solomon is not inspired because of its romantic content, but overtly racist content stays.

As a member before 1978, I remember that we all considered ourselves to not be racists; the ban was a cross we had to bear. Now I see my complicity in upholding an unjust and unrighteous practice.

I agree with you.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Oh man I am soooo jealous!!!

Bill Maher is a god of truth!

Thank you Mitt for giving truth a chance!

Had Mitt kept his desire to be the first Mormon president to himself, Bill Maher would NOT even care about Mormons.

Mitt is a good man for giving the public a reason to investigate the foul stench of Mormon MEAT!!

Ahhh man this just MADE MY WEEK!!!

Another one having an orgasm over this. And are we surprised that is spews out of both PP and Vegas, the two most rabid agnry exmos on the board?

How soon before LDS Inc asks Mitt to step down?

They won't.

You know they really want him to win.

First step in taking over the world you know.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

wenglund wrote:I think it important to note that Bill Maher is a comedian by trade, and not a scholar or a role model for critical thinking, let alone mature and healthy social behavior.

His schtick is geared towards an audience in their late teens to early twenties. He is successful with them because he appeals to their relative ignorance and their immature prejudices and predilictions. He appears witty and intelligent to them becauce they are terribly vulnerable to confusing comedy and sloganeering for logic and reasoning, and also because their warped understanding of critical thinking is not a function of learned instruction in that field, but what they have exposed themselves to by way of TV shows like Beavis and Butthead, the Simpsons, South Park, etc.

In short, it is just an act, and Bill Maher is but a court jester on the modern stage of TV, and he really doesn't deserve to be taken any more seriously than Archie Bunker, Pee Wee Herman, or the cast from Hee Haw.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

This seems a strange bit of logic to me, Wade. After all, many of the Brethren are businessmen, right? Should that fact therefore lead us to believe that they are not "role model[s]" for spiritual behavior, and are instead only interested in making money? Or that their "schtick" is really just a ploy to get people's money? Or that they are "successful with [the members] because [they] appeal to their relative ignorance and immature prejudices and predilictions"?

Bottomline: Straw Men are never a good idea.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Matt. 15:22-28

22 And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.
23 But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.
24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.
26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children’s bread, and to cast it to dogs.
27 And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.
28 Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

Was Jesus a racist? Or was the issue of his not teaching Gentiles one of timing? The Negro race had a time set that their family would receive the gospel.

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

wenglund wrote:...Archie Bunker, Pee Wee Herman, or the cast from Hee Haw.

Or you for that matter.

I still hold out on a theory that your actually a character being played by Mike Norton.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning