Bill Maher takes on Mormonism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

I'll begin this romp with a post on Maher I made on another thread:

Bill Maher has the intellecutual capactity and credibility of a rubber chew toy. One of the very serious problems of our modern, pop culture driven, image driven society is precisely taking people like Bill Maher seriously.

Maher undoubtedly wholeheartedly supports the pervasive, official, government sponsored institutionla discriminatin known as Affirmatve Action, so perhaps he's not the one to be pointing fingers at a 19th century Mormon leader, a member of an era in which, had Maher himself lived, he would have in all llkelihood, gone far beyond Young in his assessment of Black people.

I'm not sure who has less credibilty at this point, Bill Maher or Dan Rather.

Wade and Gas (especially Gaz), has it precisely correct. Maher is a drug addled liberal member of a decadent and pampered bohemian cultural entertainment elite who, as a body, have so rejected both the manners and habits of critical thought that serious conversation with these people on any issue is almost an exercise in futility. An individual like Sean Penn, who has difficulty writing coherent sentences in English, are asked for their opinions on matters of which they know virtually nothing. Maher, who clearly knows nothing whatever about Mormonism, its history, or its belifes, pontificates on the sacred beliefs of a major community of faith. Well, no matter, Catholics get the same treatment from the same people.

This is only one more indication of the in group, high school clique atmosphere that permeates Hollywood and the arts such that the leftists and dominate this subculture believe they can attack and alienate large segments of the American cultural landscape with impunity, while lauding and applauding other people or groups of absolutely no redeeming societal value.

Maher should be very careful. He may think "magic underwear" (whatever on earth this means), or Brigham Young's rather measured, for the era, statements about Black people, are funny and gist for his smarmy liberal comedic skills, but a probe of his own personal life and beliefs may be an even more interesting excercise. I wonder what the liklihood might be of finding more then magic underwear in that old dark house? Sorry, the bridge is out, you'll have to stay the night...

This is the same intellectual heavyweight who called U.S. military cowards for using standoff weapons against their enemies (as opposed to going into hand to hand combat, room to room, like real men) and called Bush's dog "Hitler's dog".

This is the Bill Maher who said:

I mean, I think, Iraqis, I think, feel that if we drove smaller cars, maybe we wouldn't have to kill them for their oil.

And:

I
think flying planes into a building was a faith-based initiative. I think religion is a neurological disorder.

And:

Men are only as loyal as their options.
(this is, of course, known as projection)

And:

The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs.

And:

We are a nation that is unenlightened because of religion. I do believe that. I think religion stops people from thinking. I think it justified crazies.

And:

We have been the cowards lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it's not cowardly.

So what we have here is the standared leftist media stew: gross anti-intellectualism, profound lack of education on the issues and current events on which he pontificates, conspiratorial paranoia (see example 1), elistist cultural snobbery (see example 2) and the projection of personal attributes upon all of society ("everyone's really doing it, they just won't admit it").

Bill Maher is no more credible on Mormonism than Susan Sarandon is on environmental science.

Loran
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Coggins7 wrote:I'll begin this romp with a post on Maher I made on another thread:

Bill Maher has the intellecutual capactity and credibility of a rubber chew toy. One of the very serious problems of our modern, pop culture driven, image driven society is precisely taking people like Bill Maher seriously.

Maher undoubtedly wholeheartedly supports the pervasive, official, government sponsored institutionla discriminatin known as Affirmatve Action, so perhaps he's not the one to be pointing fingers at a 19th century Mormon leader, a member of an era in which, had Maher himself lived, he would have in all llkelihood, gone far beyond Young in his assessment of Black people.

I'm not sure who has less credibilty at this point, Bill Maher or Dan Rather.

Wade and Gas (especially Gaz), has it precisely correct. Maher is a drug addled liberal member of a decadent and pampered bohemian cultural entertainment elite who, as a body, have so rejected both the manners and habits of critical thought that serious conversation with these people on any issue is almost an exercise in futility. An individual like Sean Penn, who has difficulty writing coherent sentences in English, are asked for their opinions on matters of which they know virtually nothing. Maher, who clearly knows nothing whatever about Mormonism, its history, or its belifes, pontificates on the sacred beliefs of a major community of faith. Well, no matter, Catholics get the same treatment from the same people.

This is only one more indication of the in group, high school clique atmosphere that permeates Hollywood and the arts such that the leftists and dominate this subculture believe they can attack and alienate large segments of the American cultural landscape with impunity, while lauding and applauding other people or groups of absolutely no redeeming societal value.

Maher should be very careful. He may think "magic underwear" (whatever on earth this means), or Brigham Young's rather measured, for the era, statements about Black people, are funny and gist for his smarmy liberal comedic skills, but a probe of his own personal life and beliefs may be an even more interesting excercise. I wonder what the liklihood might be of finding more then magic underwear in that old dark house? Sorry, the bridge is out, you'll have to stay the night...

This is the same intellectual heavyweight who called U.S. military cowards for using standoff weapons against their enemies (as opposed to going inot hand to hand combat, room to room, like real men) and called Bush's dog "Hitler's dog".

This is the Bill Maher who said:

I mean, I think, Iraqis, I think, feel that if we drove smaller cars, maybe we wouldn't have to kill them for their oil.

And:

I
think flying planes into a building was a faith-based initiative. I think religion is a neurological disorder.

And:

Men are only as loyal as their options.
(this is, of course, known as projection)

And:

The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs.

And:

We are a nation that is unenlightened because of religion. I do believe that. I think religion stops people from thinking. I think it justified crazies.

And:

We have been the cowards lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it's not cowardly.

So what we have here is the standared leftist media stew: gross anti-intellectualism, profound lack of education on the issues and current events on which he pontificates, conspiratorial paranoia (see example 1), elistist cultural snobbery (see example 2) and the projection of personal attributes upon all of society ("everyone's really doing it, they just won't admit it").

Bill Maher is no more credible on Mormonism than Susan Sarandon is on environmental science.

Loran

He just laid down several facts about Mormonism. Why don't you stop with the character assasination and attack the points that he has made? Oh, that's right...doing so is impossible to do.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

I'm no longer answering Vegas' posts for the simple reason that this individual has both the mental capacity of a small blob of grape jelly and the intellectual integrity of Mr. Scratch. I just needed to get that ad hominem out of the way before proceeding.

Just an aside: Mormons have no doctrine of "magic underwear" nor do they wear anything understood as such. Vegas is a Bambi among Godzilla, Rodan, Mothera, King Ghidorah, and the rest of the Toho crew. Small, insignificant, and fragile.

Loran
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Oh man I am soooo jealous!!!

Bill Maher is a god of truth!

Thank you Mitt for giving truth a chance!

Had Mitt kept his desire to be the first Mormon president to himself, Bill Maher would NOT even care about Mormons.

Mitt is a good man for giving the public a reason to investigate the foul stench of Mormon MEAT!!

Ahhh man this just MADE MY WEEK!!!

How soon before LDS Inc asks Mitt to step down?
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

I
think it important to note that Bill Maher is a comedian by trade, and not a scholar or a role model for critical thinking, let alone mature and healthy social behavior.

His schtick is geared towards an audience in their late teens to early twenties. He is successful with them because he appeals to their relative ignorance and their immature prejudices and predilictions. He appears witty and intelligent to them becauce they are terribly vulnerable to confusing comedy and sloganeering for logic and reasoning, and also because their warped understanding of critical thinking is not a function of learned instruction in that field, but what they have exposed themselves to by way of TV shows like Beavis and Butthead, the Simpsons, South Park, etc.

In short, it is just an act, and Bill Maher is but a court jester on the modern stage of TV, and he really doesn't deserve to be taken any more seriously than Archie Bunker, Pee Wee Herman, or the cast from Hee Haw.

This is the best response I've seen yet to both Maher and his audience as entertainer and those entertained. The very same analysis could be appropriately applied to much of the modern entertainment industry, whether film, network, or cable TV. Taking Bill Maher as a serious critic of the LDS church, let alone modern current events or politics, is really tantamount to taking Dr. Ruth seriously on questions of human sexuality or Steven Spielberg seriously on social and enocomic conditions in Cuba (or just about anybody else in Hollywood or the mainstream news media, for that matter).

This, as much as anything else I've seen, is indicative of the mentalities of more than a few of those who populate boards such as this. People who care what Natalie Mains thinks of international geopolitical dynamics are not up to it, ladies and gentlemen.
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

VegasRefugee wrote:Wow, you mean people who choose to analyze the evidence instead of ignoring dumbass beliefs, shill tactics and outright lies? His audience is a great deal more rational than you for sure.

Spoken like a truly objective analyzer of evidence.
I like you Betty...

My blog
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

maklelan wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:Wow, you mean people who choose to analyze the evidence instead of ignoring dumbass beliefs, shill tactics and outright lies? His audience is a great deal more rational than you for sure.

Spoken like a truly objective analyzer of evidence.

Very fitting avatar, makal-what-ever!
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Move on, nothing to see here...
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Coggins7 wrote:

Move on, nothing to see here...

Do you ever put thought into your replies or are you just spouting the lines your so used to belching when discussing apologetics with other believers?

"its not secret its sacred...were not racist any more...she was mature for a 14 year old when joseph molested her."
Last edited by FAST Enterprise [Crawler] on Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

You're mind is a walking intellectual crime scene Vegas.