The results of romneys possible nomination

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Sethbag wrote:Then I'd have to guess Woodrow Wilson.

That is correct!! Wilson got the Nobel for his work at the end of WWI for helping with the Treaty of Versailles (even though he didn't do very well getting his ideas implemented beyond the League of Nations, which the US never joined--that's another story.) We would also have accepted Theodore Roosevelt (who I forgot about: silly Bond) for his work in ending the Russian-Japanese War of 1904-05.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Interesting, I didn't know Teddy Roosevelt got the Nobel Peace Prize. I didn't know Woodrow Wilson got it either, until you said it was someone else. He was the only one I could think of who did a lot of "peace"-like stuff in office. I remember that he was something of an idealist, and he just seemed the only logical choice.

As far as Romney's candidacy goes, I don't think he'll get the nomination. I just think too big a chunk of the Republican base hates Mormons too much to vote for him in the primaries.

Giuliani doesn't do anything for me either, even if I liked the guy when he was mayor of New York. By the way, did you know Giuliani is an honorary knight of the British Empire?

Personally I'd probably vote for McCain, assuming I vote Republican. I've pretty much always vote mainly for Republicans, but this last November I voted for just about every Democrat on the ballot, as a big "fsck you!" to the corrupt Republicans running the House. They simply had to go. It's hard to imagine actually wanting Nancy Pelosi to take over the House, but after so much corruption and Christian Right pandering by Tom Delay and his lieutenants, I honestly would rather have Nancy there instead.

But yeah, Romney hasn't got a chance, I think. And if he does miraculously pull off the nomination, the "swift-boating" will begin in earnest, only this time it'll be Helen Mar Kimball, Blood Atonement, temple oaths, black skin curses, etc. Not that Romney should be responsible for any of that, since he didn't do it, and probably wouldn't support that kind of thing nowadays. But his big sin in all of this is to be willing to proclaim to the world that the men who taught and did these things were Prophets of God. That's just too much for a lot of people, I think. The athiests will think that's bat-s*** crazy, and the born-agains will see it as blasphemous and heretical. Either way, Romney's screwed.
Last edited by Tpearl on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Sethbag wrote:Interesting, I didn't know Teddy Roosevelt got the Nobel Peace Prize. I didn't know Woodrow Wilson got it either, until you said it was someone else. He was the only one I could think of who did a lot of "peace"-like stuff in office. I remember that he was something of an idealist, and he just seemed the only logical choice.

I like old TR. Wilson not so much (he was largely ineffective in moderating the British or French at Marseilles---which led to some real bad crap down the road in history)

As far as Romney's candidacy goes, I don't think he'll get the nomination. I just think too big a chunk of the Republican base hates Mormons too much to vote for him in the primaries.

Yep

Giuliani doesn't do anything for me either, even if I liked the guy when he was mayor of New York. By the way, did you know Giuliani is an honorary knight of the British Empire?

Was it for his leadership during 9/11?

Personally I'd probably vote for McCain, assuming I vote Republican. I've pretty much always vote mainly for Republicans, but this last November I voted for just about every Democrat on the ballot, as a big "f*Celestial Kingdom you!" to the corrupt Republicans running the House. They simply had to go. It's hard to imagine actually wanting Nancy Pelosi to take over the House, but after so much corruption and Christian Right pandering by Tom Delay and his lieutenants, I honestly would rather have Nancy there instead.

McCain would be my choice too for the GOP. For the Dems I'd say Obama or Edwards.

Watch out for the F bombs in this forum :)

But yeah, Romney hasn't got a chance, I think. And if he does miraculously pull off the nomination, the "swift-boating" will begin in earnest, only this time it'll be Helen Mar Kimball, Blood Atonement, temple oaths, black skin curses, etc. Not that Romney should be responsible for any of that, since he didn't do it, and probably wouldn't support that kind of thing nowadays. But his big sin in all of this is to be willing to proclaim to the world that the men who taught and did these things were Prophets of God. That's just too much for a lot of people, I think. The athiests will think that's bat-s*** crazy, and the born-agains will see it as blasphemous and heretical. Either way, Romney's screwed.

Romney's not going to win it. If he gets anywhere near the nomination and non-Mormons actually take an hour to examine Mormonism, quite a few will be turned away shaking their heads saying "WTF?"
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Sethbag wrote:[snip]As far as Romney's candidacy goes, I don't think he'll get the nomination. I just think too big a chunk of the Republican base hates Mormons too much to vote for him in the primaries.

And I think we bring this on ourselves. The days when we were persecuted for what we believe are about 100 years out of date. Today, we're part of one of the richest, elitist, most arrogant, least Christian groups there is. And we're so proud of it, we look down our collective noses at just about everyone else. Our compassion comes with strings, our empathy is non-existent, we claim a victim status we don't deserve, and even when we were being unjustly persecuted, our leaders were thumbing their noses at the rest of the country. Not a good way to make friends and influence people.
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

Polygamy prominent feature in Romney’s family tree

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — While Mitt Romney condemns polygamy and its prior practice by his Mormon church, the Republican presidential candidate’s great-grandfather had five wives and at least one of his great-great grandfathers had 12.
Polygamy was not just a historical footnote, but a prominent element in the family tree of the former Massachusetts governor now seeking to become the first Mormon president.
Romney’s great-grandfather, Miles Park Romney, married his fifth wife in 1897. That was more than six years after Mormon leaders banned polygamy and more than three decades after a federal law barred the practice.
R o m n ey ’s g r e a t - g r a n d - mother, Hannah Hood Hill, was the daughter of polygamists. She wrote vividly in her autobiography about how she “used to walk the floor and shed tears of sorrow” over her own husband’s multiple marriages.
Romney’s great-great grandfather, Parley Pratt, an apostle in the church, had 12 wives. In an 1852 sermon, Parley Pratt’s brother and fellow apostle, Orson Pratt, became the first church official to publicly proclaim and defend polygamy as a direct revelation from God.
Romney’s father, former Michigan Gov. George Romney, was born in Chihuahua, Mexico, where Mormons fled in the 1800s to escape religious persecution and U.S. laws forbidding polygamy.
He and his family did not return to the United States until 1912, more than two decades after the church issued “The Manifesto” banning polygamy.
“When you read the family’s history, you realize how important polygamy was to them,” said Todd Compton, a Mormon and independent historian who wrote a book about the polygamous life of the church’s founder, Joseph Smith. “They left America and started again as pioneers, after they had done it over and over again previously.”
B. Carmon Hardy, a polygamy expert and retired history professor at California State University-Fullerton, said polygamy was “a very important part of Miles Park Romney’s family.”
Hardy added: “Now, very gradually, as you moved farther away from it, it became less a part of it. But during the time of Miles Park Romney, it was an essential principle of the Romney family life.”
Other Mormons ran for the White House, including Romney’s father in 1968 and Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, in 2000.
But Mitt Romney’s stature as a leading contender has renewed questions about his faith and its doctrines.
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

Romney does not have a chance not even see above article I posted more and more articles will be coming out about his Mormon roots so he can try all he wants raise all the money he wants buthe can NEVER, NEVER outrun the polygamy CURSE..........My Greatgrandmother is a product of a polygamist marriage so like everyone has polygamy in their roots just about....
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Where does Mitt's family money come from? He's a multi-millionaire, and it's family money, but what is the source?
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

harmony wrote:Where does Mitt's family money come from? He's a multi-millionaire, and it's family money, but what is the source?

It is not family money. He is a Harvard MBA and founded a venture capital firm.

Plutarch
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

OUT OF MY MISERY wrote:Romney does not have a chance not even see above article I posted more and more articles will be coming out about his Mormon roots so he can try all he wants raise all the money he wants buthe can NEVER, NEVER outrun the polygamy CURSE..........My Greatgrandmother is a product of a polygamist marriage so like everyone has polygamy in their roots just about....

So Romney is responisble for the actions of his great, great grandfathers. You are so equitable.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

rcrocket wrote:
harmony wrote:Where does Mitt's family money come from? He's a multi-millionaire, and it's family money, but what is the source?

It is not family money. He is a Harvard MBA and founded a venture capital firm.

Plutarch

Oh, well I guess that explains it all then. Because the Bushes were just poor white trash with no ivy history.

Your rationale is flawed.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning