To all temple recommend holders

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

asbestosman wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:I want you to go to your bishop and tell him how much anti Mormon arguments you read. Then show him these arguments. It doesn't matter what you respond with because hell agree with it nevertheless. Just show him what you read here on a daily basis. If he is like a large number of bishops he will disapprove of your proximity to the nasty lies about josephs criminal behavior.

But isn't this either shifting the goalposts or a red-herring? I don't deny that many bishops would be none too pleased with people who read anti-mormon apologetics. The original point you put forward, however, was that one who interacts with apostates on a message board is not temple worthy. Too bad that Maklelan took the bait and let you steer it into a personal bash.

Well, hes easilly distracted.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

VegasRefugee wrote:
asbestosman wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:I want you to go to your bishop and tell him how much anti Mormon arguments you read. Then show him these arguments. It doesn't matter what you respond with because hell agree with it nevertheless. Just show him what you read here on a daily basis. If he is like a large number of bishops he will disapprove of your proximity to the nasty lies about josephs criminal behavior.

But isn't this either shifting the goalposts or a red-herring? I don't deny that many bishops would be none too pleased with people who read anti-mormon apologetics. The original point you put forward, however, was that one who interacts with apostates on a message board is not temple worthy. Too bad that Maklelan took the bait and let you steer it into a personal bash.

Come on Vegas, admit you were wrong (or at least intentionally misleading others). ;o)
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

asbestosman wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:
asbestosman wrote:

Come on Vegas, admit you were wrong (or at least intentionally misleading others). ;o)

How was I wrong? Certain bishops and/or stake presidents deny temple reccomends to individuals who participate in discussing non-faith promoting church history. The fact alone that me and several other individuals have been confronted concerning this has not been brought up yet but I was told, directly, that my participation on RFM during my apologist days was in direct opposition to me holding a reccomend. If you want to split hairs abt this forum and RFM go ahead. The fact remains that i was confronted with denial of a temple reccomend because of it.
Lost in time
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

... during my apologist days

During your apologist days? Goodnightshirt... as you are, DCP may become? ROTFLMABO
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

VegasRefugee wrote:How was I wrong? Certain bishops and/or stake presidents deny temple reccomends to individuals who participate in discussing non-faith promoting church history. The fact alone that me and several other individuals have been confronted concerning this has not been brought up yet but I was told, directly, that my participation on RFM during my apologist days was in direct opposition to me holding a reccomend. If you want to split hairs abt this forum and RFM go ahead. The fact remains that i was confronted with denial of a temple reccomend because of it.

Then perhaps you should have given them the sarcastic reply I gave you about shuning wayward family members. Your bishops and/or stake presidents are not following the guidelines. Still, I suppose I can see that you were not necessarily wrong. However, you are not necessarily right either. If MA&D different enough that the apologists there are still in good standing according to those bishops and/or stake presidents?
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

harmony wrote:
... during my apologist days

During your apologist days? Goodnightshirt... as you are, DCP may become? ROTFLMABO

LOLOLOLOL!
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

asbestosman wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:How was I wrong? Certain bishops and/or stake presidents deny temple reccomends to individuals who participate in discussing non-faith promoting church history. The fact alone that me and several other individuals have been confronted concerning this has not been brought up yet but I was told, directly, that my participation on RFM during my apologist days was in direct opposition to me holding a reccomend. If you want to split hairs abt this forum and RFM go ahead. The fact remains that i was confronted with denial of a temple reccomend because of it.

Then perhaps you should have given them the sarcastic reply I gave you about shuning wayward family members. Your bishops and/or stake presidents are not following the guidelines. Still, I suppose I can see that you were not necessarily wrong. However, you are not necessarily right either. If MA&D different enough that the apologists there are still in good standing according to those bishops and/or stake presidents?

It has been proven time and time again that its a wild west show when it comes to "counsel" from church authorities. Its up to their discression to decide if the tax serf is worthy or not. I did counter with a similar situation. i was told that i was willfully putting my testiphony in harms way. an analogy was made of letting children play in traffic. I never stopped posting and reading "anti-mormon" material and wham bam look at me now...A full fledged "anti"!

Look, will some bishops/stake presidents let it slide? yah. I admitted i jerked off to my bishop and he still gave me a temple reccomend. go figure.

The central assertion that Mormons are making in this thread is that there is cohesion amongst the processes governing admission into the international house of handshakes. Its just not there. Its up to the bishop. and theres alot of differing opinions. In my experience I was denied a TR based on my participation on mo/exmo/nomo boards.
Lost in time
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

harmony wrote:as you are, DCP may become?

nah, i wasn't getting paid to shill for the Morg.
Lost in time
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

VegasRefugee wrote:It has been proven time and time again that its a wild west show when it comes to "counsel" from church authorities. Its up to their discression to decide if the tax serf is worthy or not. I did counter with a similar situation. i was told that i was willfully putting my testiphony in harms way. an analogy was made of letting children play in traffic. I never stopped posting and reading "anti-mormon" material and wham bam look at me now...A full fledged "anti"!

Sounds to me like your ecclesiastical leaders were inspired. In fact I suspect that is why there is some wiggle room in interpretation. Not all people who read those arguments lose their testiomonies. Just look at the MA&D crowd.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

asbestosman wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:It has been proven time and time again that its a wild west show when it comes to "counsel" from church authorities. Its up to their discression to decide if the tax serf is worthy or not. I did counter with a similar situation. i was told that i was willfully putting my testiphony in harms way. an analogy was made of letting children play in traffic. I never stopped posting and reading "anti-mormon" material and wham bam look at me now...A full fledged "anti"!

Sounds to me like your ecclesiastical leaders were inspired. In fact I suspect that is why there is some wiggle room in interpretation. Not all people who read those arguments lose their testiomonies. Just look at the MA&D crowd.

Please tell me that you're not elevating the MAD crowd.