To all temple recommend holders

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

VegasRefugee wrote:The central assertion that Mormons are making in this thread is that there is cohesion amongst the processes governing admission into the international house of handshakes.

There is suppose to be. There is a set group of questions that the Bishop and Stake President are suppose to ask. If they deviate, you have every right to tell them to stick to the questions.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

asbestosman wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:It has been proven time and time again that its a wild west show when it comes to "counsel" from church authorities. Its up to their discression to decide if the tax serf is worthy or not. I did counter with a similar situation. i was told that i was willfully putting my testiphony in harms way. an analogy was made of letting children play in traffic. I never stopped posting and reading "anti-mormon" material and wham bam look at me now...A full fledged "anti"!

Sounds to me like your ecclesiastical leaders were inspired. In fact I suspect that is why there is some wiggle room in interpretation. Not all people who read those arguments lose their testiomonies. Just look at the MA&D crowd.

I see what you are saying but I do not see how reading FAIR/MAD is the same as participating here. Are leaders to ask what SPECIFIC forums they can and cannot participate on?

MAD is a Mormon masturbatory affair involving discussion of largely irrelevant matters and dodgy tactics. I do not see similarities to this forum and MAD.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

VegasRefugee wrote:MAD is a Mormon masturbatory affair involving discussion of largely irrelevant matters and dodgy tactics. I do not see similarities to this forum and MAD.

What a priceless statement.

;)
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

VegasRefugee wrote:I see what you are saying but I do not see how reading FAIR/MAD is the same as participating here. Are leaders to ask what SPECIFIC forums they can and cannot participate on?

MAD is a Mormon masturbatory affair involving discussion of largely irrelevant matters and dodgy tactics. I do not see similarities to this forum and MAD.

This place certainly isn't the same as MA&D, but the connection is in the temple recommend question: association with apostates. The idea of associating with apostates is unfortunately vague.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

asbestosman wrote:This place certainly isn't the same as MA&D, but the connection is in the temple recommend question: association with apostates. The idea of associating with apostates is unfortunately vague.

I wonder what it says about me that I feel much more welcome here than over there (where I don't feel welcome at all).
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Runtu wrote:
asbestosman wrote:This place certainly isn't the same as MA&D, but the connection is in the temple recommend question: association with apostates. The idea of associating with apostates is unfortunately vague.

I wonder what it says about me that I feel much more welcome here than over there (where I don't feel welcome at all).

That the Spirit doesn't feel welcome here? ;o)
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

asbestosman wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:I see what you are saying but I do not see how reading FAIR/MAD is the same as participating here. Are leaders to ask what SPECIFIC forums they can and cannot participate on?

This place certainly isn't the same as MA&D, but the connection is in the temple recommend question: association with apostates. The idea of associating with apostates is unfortunately vague.

Even participating in Sunstone is seen as associating yourself with enemies of the church.

The point made is that this forum and ones like it are a way to associate with apostates and enemies of the church. In addition the exposure to testimony dammaging facts alone disqualified me from a temple reccomend.
Lost in time
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

VegasRefugee wrote:In addition the exposure to testimony dammaging facts alone disqualified me from a temple reccomend.

Oh brother. I was at BYU when I was taught by Michael Rhodes about the "interesting" picture of God in Facsimilie 2 along with other things from the Book of Abraham. I was at BYU when I learned from another professor about some changes in the D&C including the staff of Aaron that Oliver Cowdery had. I was given Elder Packer's "Unwritten Order of Things" to read as part of the folder of stuff while I was in the BYU EQ presidency. My own curiousity had me ask questions about the nature of spirit with consciousness and agency including questions about spiritual senses and qualia like vision or hearing.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

asbestosman wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:In addition the exposure to testimony dammaging facts alone disqualified me from a temple reccomend.

Oh brother. I was at BYU when I was taught by Michael Rhodes about the "interesting" picture of God in Facsimilie 2 along with other things from the Book of Abraham. I was at BYU when I learned from another professor about some changes in the D&C including the staff of Aaron that Oliver Cowdery had. I was given Elder Packer's "Unwritten Order of Things" to read as part of the folder of stuff while I was in the BYU EQ presidency. My own curiousity had me ask questions about the nature of spirit with consciousness and agency including questions about spiritual senses and qualia like vision or hearing.

Yes, but when did you learn of the money digging, peepstones, the brasen philandering of joe, racist sermons of Young, temple ceremony changes, etc?

What did it do to your testimony? Or did these things just get filed away into the "its not true because it contradicts my testimony" bin?
Lost in time
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

VegasRefugee wrote:Yes, but when did you learn of the money digging, peepstones, the brasen philandering of joe, racist sermons of Young, temple ceremony changes, etc?

What did it do to your testimony? Or did these things just get filed away into the "its not true because it contradicts my testimony" bin?

Those things are no worse than my other questions. Besides, they end up on what's called, "The Shelf". Get with the program.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO