To all temple recommend holders

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

asbestosman wrote:Those things are no worse than my other questions. Besides, they end up on what's called, "The Shelf". Get with the program.

"I put it in the vault..." Seinfeld reference ;)
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

asbestosman wrote:Those things are no worse than my other questions. Besides, they end up on what's called, "The Shelf". Get with the program.

Why does anyone need a shelf?
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

liz3564 wrote:

"I put it in the vault..." Seinfeld reference ;)

I put my doubts in an iron clad lockbox.

Gore...Al Gore
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

asbestosman wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:Yes, but when did you learn of the money digging, peepstones, the brasen philandering of joe, racist sermons of Young, temple ceremony changes, etc?

What did it do to your testimony? Or did these things just get filed away into the "its not true because it contradicts my testimony" bin?

Those things are no worse than my other questions. Besides, they end up on what's called, "The Shelf". Get with the program.

Define "the shelf". Do you consider the church to be something free of falsification? Do you consider the fact you might be wrong and the matters you are putting on the shelf are indicative of a false belief you hold?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Runtu wrote:

Wolf: To better ignore them (damning evidence) my dear.
Last edited by FAST Enterprise [Crawler] on Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost in time
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Runtu wrote:

To store doubts which have long shelf lives. Faith, on the other hand, has a very short shelf life, but a very strong living life.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

VegasRefugee wrote:Define "the shelf". Do you consider the church to be something free of falsification? Do you consider the fact you might be wrong and the matters you are putting on the shelf are indicative of a false belief you hold?

The shelf is where I put issues I haven't researched much just yet. It's not only full of religious questions. I have many questions about women that are also on "the shelf". I rather suspect that my religious questions will all be answered long before the ones on women even get a dent in them.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

asbestosman wrote:
Runtu wrote:

To store doubts which have long shelf lives. Faith, on the other hand, has a very short shelf life, but a very strong living life.

In other words you place doubts that have an impact on how you are living your life away where they cannot modify your faith.

Why don't you confront your doubts when you recieve them, thus clearing "shelf space" or better yet eliminating the need for a "shelf" altogether.

If you could use facts freely available to choose the most correct path would you? Or are you too entrenched to care?
Lost in time
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

asbestosman wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:Define "the shelf". Do you consider the church to be something free of falsification? Do you consider the fact you might be wrong and the matters you are putting on the shelf are indicative of a false belief you hold?

The shelf is where I put issues I haven't researched much just yet. It's not only full of religious questions. I have many questions about women that are also on "the shelf". I rather suspect that my religious questions will all be answered long before the ones on women even get a dent in them.

Consider that your faith is, at face value easilly changed. Your interaction with women is dalmost impossible to change.

I humbly reccomend you take the doubt inducing matters off the shelf and use them to your advantage in discerning wether you have been decieved.
Lost in time
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

VegasRefugee wrote:Consider that your faith is, at face value easilly changed. Your interaction with women is dalmost impossible to change.

I humbly reccomend you take the doubt inducing matters off the shelf and use them to your advantage in discerning wether you have been decieved.

All kidding aside, I think I've researched my doubts enough to be satisfied that the answer will not demonstrate that the church is untrue. I simply haven't researched them with enough detail to know just how things did happen. And if you really want to know about the biggest item on my shelf, it's the one asking me how I reeeealy know I can trust God. I don't think I can ever answer that with anything other than faith. I'm pretty sure an all-powerful God would be smart enough to fool me indefinitely and if so, there's probably nothing I can do about it so it's pointless to even worry. And yet there it is on the shelf.

The second biggest shelved doubt is related: the problem of evil.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO