To all temple recommend holders

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

asbestosman wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:Consider that your faith is, at face value easilly changed. Your interaction with women is dalmost impossible to change.

I humbly reccomend you take the doubt inducing matters off the shelf and use them to your advantage in discerning wether you have been decieved.

All kidding aside, I think I've researched my doubts enough to be satisfied that the answer will not demonstrate that the church is untrue. I simply haven't researched them with enough detail to know just how things did happen. And if you really want to know about the biggest item on my shelf, it's the one asking me how I reeeealy know I can trust God. I don't think I can ever answer that with anything other than faith. I'm pretty sure an all-powerful God would be smart enough to fool me indefinitely and if so, there's probably nothing I can do about it so it's pointless to even worry. And yet there it is on the shelf.

The second biggest shelved doubt is related: the problem of evil.

But specifics such as DNA incongruities, Archaeological inconsistencies and such...arent those powerful evidenciary issues that stand in teh face of the truthfulness of Mormon claims?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

VegasRefugee wrote:But specifics such as DNA incongruities, Archaeological inconsistencies and such...arent those powerful evidenciary issues that stand in teh face of the truthfulness of Mormon claims?

Not from my point of view. The Book of Abraham has a much better shot at being problematic than the other things. DNA could be caused by a group that was too small. Same with Archaeology. I think one reason the Book of Mormon archaeology had to be different than Bible archaeology is that Bible archaeology proves nothing except that such places and people existed but does not prove the Bible to be true. Book of Mormon archaeology would be a whole new story.

As to why God needs to test our faith, that's another item on the shelf after the problem of evil and just before quantum physics.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

asbestosman wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:But specifics such as DNA incongruities, Archaeological inconsistencies and such...arent those powerful evidenciary issues that stand in teh face of the truthfulness of Mormon claims?

Not from my point of view. The Book of Abraham has a much better shot at being problematic than the other things. DNA could be caused by a group that was too small. Same with Archaeology. I think one reason the Book of Mormon archaeology had to be different than Bible archaeology is that Bible archaeology proves nothing except that such places and people existed but does not prove the Bible to be true. Book of Mormon archaeology would be a whole new story.

As to why God needs to test our faith, that's another item on the shelf after the problem of evil and just before quantum physics.

I guess if you want it to be true then there is nothing to convince you otherwise.

Maybee if I want to be rich and famous all I have to do is want it to be true and then I will be rich and famous.

One thing I have consistently had shown to me through apologetic prancing about is that if Joe himself wrote in his journal that he made it all up the apologists such as yourself would file it away to the shelf, relegated to your logical blind spot.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Mak, you posted a few pages back:
The self-indulgent mental-masturbator has grown silent. So like a person with no scruples to just abandon an issue they introduce and are suddenly incapable of holding up. We can rest assured that he will show his ego again soon when he formulates another idiotic attempt to make Latter-day Saints appear stupid and immoral. I would assume he had better things to do if I didn't know any better. Perhaps another obscene thread directed at me will pop up in the Telestial Forum so that Vegas' ego can be stroked back to erection. I can hardly wait.

WOW!! Respectfully Bro yer/you're/your/you are doing a pretty good job "...make(ing) Latter-day Saints appear stupid..." all by your self... ;-)

"...without charity we are nothing... 1 Cor, 13:1-8. Check it out about glibbness, Prophets and stuff ... Then check Mat.5:23-24, too... MAYBE then ask Vegas to forgive you before you hand your next tithing envelope to the Bishop... :-)

Warm regards, Roger