Did we throw away years of our lives?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

RM: I hope so too... Although some "might" think you are a bit quick to be an advisor without knowing intimate details of those to whom you proffer...

I don't think the "intimate details" are necessary prior suggesting common-sensical life-strategies. It's like were I to see someone with a flat tire, I don't need to know where-all the car has been driven in order to know how to fix the flat.

RM: To complicate is generally not my 'style'. However, i think it essential to be informed, and realistic with expectations from each as individuals work within their "ability". Too often "Self-Help Gurus", from the Anthony Robbins type to the 100&1 U 2 Can be SLIM! advocates, care for little but registered #s and fees collected. Unfortunately many 'Students' do not have the prerequesites for their imagined "Success". This is not as much a concern of the promoters as it is of those once again finding themselves Fat &/or Broke, disheartened and deeper in self-distain. I hope in all of your eagerness you do not over look our varied IQs, EQs, and how we each process our individual experiences.

I understand your concern, and believe it or not, I share it. I have had more than a few family members and friends get whipped up into a success-minded frenzy by some of the popular "feel-good Guru's", only to see their hopes and dreams go unrealized. And, since their heads were filled with with nothing but success stories, it was natural for them to look inward for the cause, and assume that their lack of success was because they were a terminal looser, were cursed, and destined for failure. In their case, the cure was worse than the desease.

However, what I am offering, and how I am offering it, is somewhat different. I am not gauranteeing any specific outcomes (financial or otherwise) nor am I specifying time tables across the board. Instead, I am simply offering proven methods for improving one's chances of statisfying their basic human needs.

Also, my approach is focused more on what the individual has more control over (i.e. their thoughts, beliefs, self-perceptions, moods, behaviors, etc.) and not what they don't (the market, other people, etc.), and my approach targets internal issues like disheartening and self-disdain so as to help prevent the "Students" from experiencing those things.

As for prerequisites, I am not proffering rocket science. Rather, the principles and practices I am advocating are simple and common-sensical, and have been applied professionally across the board--with troubled teens, people with substance abuse problems, mood issues, personality disorders, schitzophrenia, and even child psychology and behavior matters. As long as the persons can communicate and has the learning capacity of a kindergartner, that will suffice.

I sense a tendency for you to over generalize with Vegas, in particular. His comments are as valid, and worthy of understanding as anyones'.

I will let you and others worry about validity and worthyness. My interest is in what works. VegasR has adopted a dysfunctional and abusive relationship style, and we do him no favors by contenancing his "acting out".

RM: I sense a blind-spot here Wade. Psyche health IS THE POINT!! That is the reason why some--V. Frankle is an excellent example--in spite of their observed horrible circumstances rise above them to become Nelson Mandela, or Oprah Winnfrey... Others starting from preferred starting points just don't achieve as might be expected..."...their success in the future is dependent upon..." the capacity of the individual to learn and understand "proven life strategies and skills..." Then apply them. You evidently had the prerequisites. Congrats!!

RM: [i]VF tells an inspiring story. One must wonder why there weren't more 'Viktors' among 6,000,000? I have my theory. Might it have been beyond their capacity? Being conditioned to subservience and obedience (AND failure) they were in a sense primed? [/b]

No, I don't believe it was beyond their capacity. Think of it this way...if they can be conditioned to subservience and obedience and even failure, why can't they be recondition to the opposite? I think they can. Granted, it may take more time and effort with some. But, they are still capable.

RM: Dying is not my preoccupation either. Having seldom known a day that i didn't experience validation, love and respect from parents, family, friends and associates my baggage has been light. I don't really know what it is to "bear a Cross". Could be one of my reason for disenchantment with LDSism over time. It seems to me over my 50 years of church exposure there has been a gradual shift from a positive, individualism--in which i thrived--to a negative, fatalism of regementation and legalistic ritualism. That being a very unhealthy psyche/spiritual environment. At least in my perception. Not one i endorse.

I experienced quite the opposite in my 50+ years in the Church, and I would submit that the difference between you and I, is simply in our differing perspectives and the way we think about and view ourselves and the world. If you don't mind me saying so, you come across as quite negative and cynical when it comes to certain things (like the Church and self-help programs, etc.)--to the point, I would suggest, that is unfair and unhealthy. In fact, you come across as though these things are you "cross to bear".

If interested, I think I may be of some help to you in unloading that cross.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Hi Wade, thanks for your response. I'll attempt relevant replies... You say:
understand your concern, and believe it or not, I share it. I have had more than a few family members and friends get whipped up into a success-minded frenzy by some of the popular "feel-good Guru's", only to see their hopes and dreams go unrealized. And, since their heads were filled with with nothing but success stories, it was natural for them to look inward for the cause, and assume that their lack of success was because they were a terminal looser, were cursed, and destined for failure. In their case, the cure was worse than the desease.

Why would you think i would doubt mutual compassionate concerns? What reasons might your "family members" have to look inside and see themselves as "terminal losers, cursed and destined for failure"? Were they nurtured in the LDS community?

"...cure(not :-)...worse than the disease." Unfortunate that the "quick-fix" is the carrot for "dream chasers" who expect 'salvation' to come from out-side themselves. Amway will never go broke. The same cannot be said for the majority(?) of its "Dealers".

However, what I am offering, and how I am offering it, is somewhat different. I am not gauranteeing any specific outcomes (financial or otherwise) nor am I specifying time tables across the board. Instead, I am simply offering proven methods for improving one's chances of statisfying their basic human needs.

Also, my approach is focused more on what the individual has more control over (i.e. their thoughts, beliefs, self-perceptions, moods, behaviors, etc.) and not what they don't (the market, other people, etc.), and my approach targets internal issues like disheartening and self-disdain so as to help prevent the "Students" from experiencing those things.

Interesting terminology: "offering" not suggesting? "...proven methods for improving ... their basic human needs." No qualifiers? No exceptions? Fail proof? Not ALL individuals are equally qualified to control your list of controllables... Jesus has trouble with his "methods" being implemented, and they are no "Secret"...

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for encouraging "Students" to be heartened and self-confident. To see themselves competent to be good decision makers; learning from their experiences the do's and don't's of life without loading up on guilt and shame. Too often imposd by well intended ignoramouses.

As for prerequisites, I am not proffering rocket science. Rather, the principles and practices I am advocating are simple and common-sensical, and have been applied professionally across the board--with troubled teens, people with substance abuse problems, mood issues, personality disorders, schitzophrenia, and even child psychology and behavior matters. As long as the persons can communicate and has the learning capacity of a kindergartner, that will suffice.

My "prerequisites" are not of "rocket-science" calibre. They are the "psyche qualifications" one brings in their bag of self-adjustment-tools. Many "kindergarteners" have considerable difficulty taking advantage of their class-room environment--ADD et al as i'm sure you are aware... Communication skills and learning capacities vary considerably. Probably accounting for 'problems' in the first place--guessing of course.

I will let you and others worry about validity and worthyness. My interest is in what works. VegasR has adopted a dysfunctional and abusive relationship style, and we do him no favors by contenancing his "acting out".

"...validity and worthiness..."??? My interest is in what works too! Why would you think i wouldn't be? Maybe i misread that sentence as excluding me & others as not being so intended???

Ever think "acting-out" might help in "working-it-out"? That there well might be good reasons for a person to "act-out"? I think that issue might be a bit too complex for a couple of well-intended amateurs to be too explicit about???

No, I don't believe it was beyond their capacity. Think of it this way...if they can be conditioned to subservience and obedience and even failure, why can't they be recondition to the opposite? I think they can. Granted, it may take more time and effort with some. But, they are still capable.

Untrain Pav's dogs? I guess so. Nothing is impossible, given time, talent and resources... However, in their horrible circumstances they did not rise as did Viktor. Whether any of them could be reconditioned is moot. "Think of it this way"...they were incapacitated and capitulated to their circumstances. As do most who function within their personal domains of dysfunction. Many as leaders and counsellors toxifying those who "CHOOSE" to remain exposed to whatever form of toxitity they are exposed to...

I experienced quite the opposite in my 50+ years in the Church, and I would submit that the difference between you and I, is simply in our differing perspectives and the way we think about and view ourselves and the world. If you don't mind me saying so, you come across as quite negative and cynical when it comes to certain things (like the Church and self-help programs, etc.)--to the point, I would suggest, that is unfair and unhealthy. In fact, you come across as though these things are you "cross to bear".

We might be having those common problems of "communication" :-) Reread my "50 year" bit and you'll find i "thrived" for the greater part of those years. Maybe then i needed the "Physician" more??? Maybe as i was healed...

Your "...50+ years..."? For the record, how old are you? Born into, or convert? Our differing perspectives can be attributed to myriad circumstances and conditions. As all folks do, we veiw ourselves in large degree due to our nature--genetic--and the quality of our nurturing. Hard, if not impossible to avoid. Makes us the interesting folks we are.

I'm some what surprised that you put negativity into the Universe about me, with your statement following, "If you don't mind me saying..."

I take the liberty of quoting you again, "I ... suggest, that is unfair and unhealthy." Wouldn't you agree? You know: Like, we don't "Protest War!" We "Advocate Peace." The Ghandi way, ya kow what i'm sayin'?

There are things that IMSCO tend to be more destructive, than constructive, of the human psyche, and our Spirit from which we draw our strength. You are correct, things that "I" put into that category do tend to bother me. As they did Christ. He tends to be my model... AS "I" profile him... Not the kind who would demand white shirts and ties be worn in honour of him. Not the kind who demands a fee to experience a Daughter od Son marry. Not the kind who sees evil in earrings and the proclivities of youth. Jesus is in no way esoteric he is, IMSCO the other extreme an exoteric ... Maybe those are the things in which we differ???

If interested, I think I may be of some help to you in unloading that cross.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

"Thank You Wade." Maybe if you think way back to your dark days of condemnation, you might recall the guy who never, OK seldom, went on the defensive. Nor returned blow-for-blow your barrage of insults and vindictiveness...

Must have made some impression on you... ;-) Warm regards, Roger
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

Hi Roger,

I am not seeing the cause for concern you continue to express regarding prerequisites and varied levels of capability in relation to my self-help program. Perhaps that is because we have been communicating in the abstract rather than the concrete.

However, I would really like to find out whether your concerns are efficacious, and if so, to what extent. I certainly don't want to do anything that may, in the end, leave some people worse off for having followed my program than were they to have continued as is or followed a different program. At this point, though, I can't see how that would happen. So, maybe you can be of some help.

If you would, please come up with a plausible hypothetical "Student" that you view as not having sufficient prerequisites or capabilities for my program, and who you think will end up worse off with my program than otherwise, and let's walk your hypothetical senerio through my program and have you demonstrate where those concerns may be realized. Okay?

Or, maybe you can get one of the good folks here or at RFM, who are experiencing intra/inter-personal challenges which they wish to resolve, who you think might not meet the supposed prerequisites and who you think lack the capacity for my program, to be a test case.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Hi Wade, you say:

However, I would really like to find out whether your concerns are efficacious, and if so, to what extent. I certainly don't want to do anything that may, in the end, leave some people worse off for having followed my program than were they to have continued as is or followed a different program. At this point, though, I can't see how that would happen. So, maybe you can be of some help.

I appreciate both your desire to "help" and your sense of responsibility towards those whom you might involve in your "Program". About which i actually know nothing. I would like to know more: Have you printed or electronic material? Published a book? Advertisments? Certification?

In the several ventures and enterprises i've been involved in, if i have learned anything, and i have, it is EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!

Your statement, "I can't see how 'that' would happen" suggests to me you might not be prepared for the inevitable... failures, near-misses, total misses, discouragements, set-backs, challenges to every physical and psyche resource you posses. THEN, can YOU handle the stress, anxiety and disappointment of watching the greater percentage of YOUR clients/students not achieve what YOU expect of THEM??? Nor acheive what THEY expected of THEMSELVES while under YOUR spell??? (If you're a RM you have probably some experience there?)

THE most important question: "Will any MONEY change hands between You and Those who enrole in YOUR "Program"?"

These may seem strange questions to you, but it is imperitive they be VERRRY SERIOUSLY CONSIDERED. As they might well hve been--something i don't know until you answer me. I have no idea of your 'business' experience. Nor of your couselling ability and experience.

If you would, please come up with a plausible hypothetical "Student" that you view as not having sufficient prerequisites or capabilities for my program, and who you think will end up worse off with my program than otherwise, and let's walk your hypothetical senerio through my program and have you demonstrate where those concerns may be realized. Okay?

While i have architectual, and product design, experience. Drawing board, prototypes, marketed product are not "Three Easy Steps" to success. They are interspersed with redesigns, re-makes, "Modifications" et al...

"A plausible hypothetical "Student"" isn't 'modeled' quite the same. Here i can only offer my observations as a "Student" of Human Nature who gleaned experience teaching in a Vocational High School; as a production supervisor in the auto industry; business entrepreneur; landlord/property-manager/developer; etc.... Add Husband 54 years, 5 Daughters, 10 Granchildren, 2 GGC :-)... (Sorry about the brag ;-)

I cannot design--nor walk-through a senerio--'anyone' to demonstrate the success or failure potential of Your "Program". You will have to experience that yourself. AND reap the consequences, what ever they WILL be.

However, i will restate my concerns, based on assumption # 1: You will not be working with proteges, but with folks who are not 'making-it'. You are probably the most recent of their attempt to change... IF they had "it" as i sense you might naïvely be thinking, that Your Magic (figure of speach;-) will twig, they would now be making it. THE important question: why aren't they? Physical/mental/emotional/IQ/EQ incapacities? # 2: You are not teaching technical hand skills, nor introducing new techno information/knowledge;such as accouting skills... As i understand it, you intend to change behaviours. Teach old dogs new tricks. Not impossible IF/WHEN they have the necessary motivations, inclinations AND psyche capacities... You must know every program has a failure rate as well as a success rate. Yours will be no different. Maybe you are prepared for that??? Are you?

Wade, the last thing i want to do is discourage your compassion, and good intention. I applaude you for your genuine concern. But i do question the realism surrounding your "Program"? Do you see it in anyway a "God" thing? A "faith" thing? I can certainly see a remarkable change in YOU since our initial encounters. Very pleased for You! Seems you want to share this with others. Maybe there is a better way? Write a book!?

Have you considered returning to University to qualify as a Psychologist? You didn't state your age.

Or, maybe you can get one of the good folks here or at RFM, who are experiencing intra/inter-personal challenges which they wish to resolve, who you think might not meet the supposed prerequisites and who you think lack the capacity for my program, to be a test case.

Maybe someone reading your request will be interested in your offer? Beyond my "capacity" to "get one"...:-)

Warm regards, Roger
_Ray A

Re: Did we throw away years of our lives?

Post by _Ray A »

Runtu wrote:I'm not willing to write off 40 years of church experience as total misery. It wasn't. I have no doubt that the church is not true. I'm also convinced that, on balance, it does more harm than good to people. But so much of who I am is a product of all that teaching, pounding, and training. And not all of that was bad.

This might be a shocking observation on my part, a very paradoxical one, but I DO agree with you. I had to believe "six impossible things before breakfast", but it did make me a better person. Knowing what I know now, I can only consider it "accidental growth".
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

Roger Morrison wrote:Hi Wade, you say:

I appreciate both your desire to "help" and your sense of responsibility towards those whom you might involve in your "Program". About which i actually know nothing. I would like to know more: Have you printed or electronic material? Published a book? Advertisments? Certification?

In the several ventures and enterprises i've been involved in, if i have learned anything, and i have, it is EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!

Your statement, "I can't see how 'that' would happen" suggests to me you might not be prepared for the inevitable... failures, near-misses, total misses, discouragements, set-backs, challenges to every physical and psyche resource you posses. THEN, can YOU handle the stress, anxiety and disappointment of watching the greater percentage of YOUR clients/students not achieve what YOU expect of THEM??? Nor acheive what THEY expected of THEMSELVES while under YOUR spell??? (If you're a RM you have probably some experience there?)

THE most important question: "Will any MONEY change hands between You and Those who enrole in YOUR "Program"?"

These may seem strange questions to you, but it is imperitive they be VERRRY SERIOUSLY CONSIDERED. As they might well hve been--something i don't know until you answer me. I have no idea of your 'business' experience. Nor of your couselling ability and experience.

While i have architectual, and product design, experience. Drawing board, prototypes, marketed product are not "Three Easy Steps" to success. They are interspersed with redesigns, re-makes, "Modifications" et al...

"A plausible hypothetical "Student"" isn't 'modeled' quite the same. Here i can only offer my observations as a "Student" of Human Nature who gleaned experience teaching in a Vocational High School; as a production supervisor in the auto industry; business entrepreneur; landlord/property-manager/developer; etc.... Add Husband 54 years, 5 Daughters, 10 Granchildren, 2 GGC :-)... (Sorry about the brag ;-)

I cannot design--nor walk-through a senerio--'anyone' to demonstrate the success or failure potential of Your "Program". You will have to experience that yourself. AND reap the consequences, what ever they WILL be.

However, i will restate my concerns, based on assumption # 1: You will not be working with proteges, but with folks who are not 'making-it'. You are probably the most recent of their attempt to change... IF they had "it" as i sense you might naïvely be thinking, that Your Magic (figure of speach;-) will twig, they would now be making it. THE important question: why aren't they? Physical/mental/emotional/IQ/EQ incapacities? # 2: You are not teaching technical hand skills, nor introducing new techno information/knowledge;such as accouting skills... As i understand it, you intend to change behaviours. Teach old dogs new tricks. Not impossible IF/WHEN they have the necessary motivations, inclinations AND psyche capacities... You must know every program has a failure rate as well as a success rate. Yours will be no different. Maybe you are prepared for that??? Are you?

Wade, the last thing i want to do is discourage your compassion, and good intention. I applaude you for your genuine concern. But i do question the realism surrounding your "Program"? Do you see it in anyway a "God" thing? A "faith" thing? I can certainly see a remarkable change in YOU since our initial encounters. Very pleased for You! Seems you want to share this with others. Maybe there is a better way? Write a book!?

Have you considered returning to University to qualify as a Psychologist? You didn't state your age.

Maybe someone reading your request will be interested in your offer? Beyond my "capacity" to "get one"...:-)

Warm regards, Roger

Hi Roger,

I appreciate your well-intended input regarding my proposed program even if, as you said, you actually know nothing about my program.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Hi Wade, I said earlier:

Will you fill me in? "Truth Dancer" might be a good source of information for you.. Just do-it... Don't let detracters or quams discourge you... Warm regards, Roger