Salt Lake Tribune: Why Romney SHOULDN'T run...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Now figure that Mormons are heavily concentrated in the Western US and some Latin American countries; have no or very little presence in the two countries comprising nearly 1/3 of the current population (India and China), you begin to get the sense just how trivial the Mormon Church is and just how absurd the Lord's Great Plan of Salvation is.

Well, at least the Mormon version of it. Seems to me like if God really wanted to have some influence over his children, he'd have found a Chinese guy to be the prophet, not some farmer in New England.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

The key word in the above is "few," which implies that there are larger, including the Catholic Church. Whether the TSCC is among the richest, I'm not sure, but I think we can all agree that it is, by absolute and relative standards, a "rich" church.

What it TSCC.

In terms of "outreach," however, it is thoroughly insiginificant, no more than a barely perceptible blip on the radar screen of humanity.

You seem hung upt with the tiny impat you think the LDS Church hsa on the world. Granted, it is small in numbers and as far as religous beliefs it is a tiny part of the worlds religions. However, it is like the 5th largest denomination in the US.

Also, one could argue that in many ways it has a significant impact in the World far in excess of what one would expect for it numbers.

I am not sure how you define outreach but it may be worth discussin. Certainly the LDS Church has a number of who's who in American Politics and business far beyond what its should for its numbers. Amazingly this little insigificant Church is often one of the first to arrive with spearhead units at natural disaster scenes across the country and even world at times. Often the Church is mentioned in local press in a positive light for its humanitarian efforts when floods, hurricanes, earthquakes and so on hit.

Addionally like it or not, it does have cultural impact often larger then its numbers would typicaly allow and organization to have.

I think you are rather short sighted in the small amount of impact on the world this tiny sect has.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Jason Bourne wrote:What is TSCC?

It's an acronymn standing for "The So-called Church". The first time I heard it used was on RfM.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Jason Bourne wrote:
The key word in the above is "few," which implies that there are larger, including the Catholic Church. Whether the TSCC is among the richest, I'm not sure, but I think we can all agree that it is, by absolute and relative standards, a "rich" church.

What it TSCC.

The So-Called Church. It's a DAMU acronym.

I am not sure how you define outreach but it may be worth discussin. Certainly the LDS Church has a number of who's who in American Politics and business far beyond what its should for its numbers.

Call for references. Do you know the religious affiliation of the CEO's of the Fortune 500? Or the religious affiliation of the members of Congress? The governors? Because I don't.

Addionally like it or not, it does have cultural impact often larger then its numbers would typicaly allow and organization to have.

In what way? What are you using to measure this with? Because in my work (volunteer management and fund raising for one of the Big 5 charities), I have so few Mormons who help, it's embarrassing. I don't see us as a major player at all, not in any context.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Call for references. Do you know the religious affiliation of the CEO's of the Fortune 500? Or the religious affiliation of the members of Congress? The governors? Because I don't.

Sorry. Do not have time. But there have been a lot of articles about this over the years. I amsure you could chase it down of you want.

In what way? What are you using to measure this with? Because in my work (volunteer management and fund raising for one of the Big 5 charities), I have so few Mormons who help, it's embarrassing. I don't see us as a major player at all, not in any context.

I was referring more to things like being a player on coservative social issues. The Gay Marriage issue comes to mind.