Are the MADmods Censoring Sig Lines?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

moksha wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote: They are vengeful turds.

Don't you think vengeful is a rather strong word?

Not at all. Anyone who censors/bans a poster for appearing/posting on a DIFFERENT site seems awfully "vengeful" to me.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Sethbag wrote:I have wondered more than once whether Charity is now a moderator.

Stranger things have happened.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Sethbag wrote:Mister Scratch: thanks for the comments!

You are most welcome, Sethbag. Make no mistake: I am not alone in being delighted to see a poster of your caliber on this MB.

And yes, I realize I'm probably skating on thin ice over there. Frankly, I'd assume that anyone who doesn't believe in the truthfullness of the LDS church would sort of be on constant probation or something. A lot of TBMs are so invested in the church, emotionally, intellectually, financially, etc. that just stating that you believe it's made up will offend quite a few people. To keep saying that over and over is going to be seen as provocation and offense to some of them.

I have to admit, I've read some comments over here before, and I've thusfar been quite hesitant to register and start posting here. Part of the problem is that I could easily find myself saying things over here that would probably get me in trouble over there,

Such are the consequences of true freedom!

I still go to church most of the time, I'm still a member, and my wife wants me to work on regaining my testimony. I try to tell her that I can't make Joseph Smith not have made it up, and until that changes, I could never really believe it again. Still, I was raised in the church like a lot of other critics, and able to feel comfortable around Mormons, at least to an extent. How could I not, really, when pretty much all of my family on both sides are LDS? I have a family need not to get so involved with the critic stuff that I could get in trouble if I got narked on to my SP. My expressions of opinion at MAD probably already could get me in trouble to an extent. I fear if I became a regular poster over here it would only get worse for me.

Huh. Well, in either case, it's good to see you around. I certainly hope you'll decide to stay. Heck, you could even ask your wife to join in! All the best to you regardless.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Sethbag wrote:I have wondered more than once whether Charity is now a moderator.

Just out of curiosity, which Mod do you think she is? Skylla?
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Mister Scratch wrote:

That's possible, and in fact probably what I thought when the idea first came to mind. One of the things that got me thinking she might be a mod was that in the leadup to my suspension a few weeks ago, she went from threatening to sick the mods on me, to my sig having been edited by a mod, in a very, very short time. She could have reported me to a mod and gotten a very rapid response, but another possibility is that she threatened to sick the mods on me and then just logged into a mod account and edited it herself, obviously using the threat of mod action as a smoke screen to conceal her involvement. I don't know this, it was just a thought. This thought has been reinforced by some subsequent mod comments that just seemed to smack of her particular brand of "logic".

Anyhow, thanks for welcoming me to the board! What amazes me about reading the threads here is seeing all these familiar names that I saw on MAD that I just don't see there anymore. The critic field must indeed have been white, ready to harvest, and sickles were thrust in with all their might. It almost boggles my mind.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Sethbag wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:

That's possible, and in fact probably what I thought when the idea first came to mind. One of the things that got me thinking she might be a mod was that in the leadup to my suspension a few weeks ago, she went from threatening to sick the mods on me, to my sig having been edited by a mod, in a very, very short time. She could have reported me to a mod and gotten a very rapid response, but another possibility is that she threatened to sick the mods on me and then just logged into a mod account and edited it herself, obviously using the threat of mod action as a smoke screen to conceal her involvement. I don't know this, it was just a thought. This thought has been reinforced by some subsequent mod comments that just seemed to smack of her particular brand of "logic".

Anyhow, thanks for welcoming me to the board! What amazes me about reading the threads here is seeing all these familiar names that I saw on MAD that I just don't see there anymore. The critic field must indeed have been white, ready to harvest, and sickles were thrust in with all their might. It almost boggles my mind.

Yes, I hear that. The treachery and unfairness of the fittingly named MADmods goes deep indeed. In fact, our dear Dr. Shades maintains a blog that charts the "booting" of various posters from MAD/FAIR. For instance, do you know about the so-called "Nov. 5th Purge"?
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Sethbag wrote:Anyhow, thanks for welcoming me to the board! What amazes me about reading the threads here is seeing all these familiar names that I saw on MAD that I just don't see there anymore. The critic field must indeed have been white, ready to harvest, and sickles were thrust in with all their might. It almost boggles my mind.

Contrary to popular opinion, we do not get pickled regularly over here. We're actually pretty much the same as we were on FAIR/MAD, except we wear different clothes (case in point: I shed the Pickle suit. Too much salt in the diet isn't good for one's blood pressure).
_cksalmon
_Emeritus

Post by _cksalmon »

Mister Scratch wrote:

Skylla seems a bit too even-keeled for all that, doesn't she?

On a side note, I found it a bit odd that I recently had two entire posts utterly deleted from a recent thread. Now, the responses to my (apparently offensive and off-topic) post were left to stand (with minor editing), but my own were simply vetted. Ironically, one of the responses that was allowed to stand included a direct quotation from my own prior post, which was probably a bit confusing to those who read it: Okay, CKS is quoted here, but where is his originating post?

What was particularly odd about the event was that I've never had a post deleted, I don't think. I don't remember any such thing happening there before. But these posts of mine were deleted very soon after (within a day or so) I'd PMed another poster about the heavy-handedness of the modding there lately. Hmm.

I'm with Sethbag, to a large degree. I like MADB. There are lots of cool folks there, on both sides of the aisle. But, the new mod regime is showing itself to be even more heavy-handed than the previous FAIRboards.org instantiation.

I don't think they want an echo chamber there, frankly. I really don't. But the moderators seem to be taking a step or two toward increased repressiveness with regard to critical viewpoints.

I think that does a significant disservice to the good posters at MADB, whatever their religious or non-religious affiliation. And there are lots of them.

Best.

CKS
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Mister Scratch

Yes, I hear that. The treachery and unfairness of the fittingly named MADmods goes deep indeed. In fact, our dear Dr. Shades maintains a blog that charts the "booting" of various posters from MAD/FAIR. For instance, do you know about the so-called "Nov. 5th Purge"?

My guess is that many or most MADites aren't aware of the Nov 5th purge, thus the comments about seeing all of us here and wondering where we've been.

Jersey Girl
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

I've done some reading, like on Shades' blog where the "exile" stories are, and seen reference to the Nov. 5 purge, so I have an idea what that's about. I deliberately hadn't registered here or posted anything at Kevin Graham's board, so as not to get swept up in the putsch. I did know that some folks had been banned, like Moksha, Who Knows, SleepingWillow, and some others. I posted in many a thread with them, and it's too bad. As I think back, I'd say most of the critics I've ever seen at MAD aren't there anymore, just by number. It looks like I'm part of a dwindling group over there.