Coffin nails

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Plutarch wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
But, if one were to presuppose that polygamy was a commandment of God, then the rest of your armadillos don't seem like so much.
]

One could suppose about anything goes if God really DID command one thing or another.

So, you are an attorney. How does one determine if something is like this really was commanded of God?

Sorry. It doesn't come from legal proofs. The type of proofs I would adduce here would be subject to instant mockery.

P

You are a coward not to adduce them. You imply that your "proofs" cannot stand the light of scrutiny.
_Zakuska
_Emeritus

Post by _Zakuska »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Plutarch wrote:But, if one were to presuppose that polygamy was a commandment of God, then the rest of your armadillos don't seem like so much.

Does that presupposition include marrying other men's wives?

Whats wrong with Marrying other men's wives? David did it.
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

Whats wrong with Marrying other men's wives? David did it.

The methodology used could be said to be...dishonest at best.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

Mister Scratch wrote:
You are a coward not to adduce them. You imply that your "proofs" cannot stand the light of scrutiny.

Like I have said many times in the past on the board, I am a person filled with weaknesses and inabilities. to that, I readily confess.

The mission of the prophet Joseph Smith is based upon (1) scripture, (2) the witnesses of other good people who never recanted, and (3) the witness of the Spirit -- all of which you mock and which I never see you cite or really understand. The mission is not based upon a photograph of the plates. It is not based upon slick rhetoric.

P
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

Plutarch wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:

Like I have said many times in the past on the board, I am a person filled with weaknesses and inabilities. to that, I readily confess.

The mission of the prophet Joseph Smith is based upon (1) scripture, (2) the witnesses of other good people who never recanted, and (3) the witness of the Spirit -- all of which you mock and which I never see you cite or really understand. The mission is not based upon a photograph of the plates. It is not based upon slick rhetoric.

P

Putarach, most of us have as much, if not more, experience in the Mormon Church as you. We quite understand numbers 1-3 above, but unlike you, we do not find them compelling. Don't be going all Makelenian on us by claiming you understand the "gospel" and its doctrines so much better than us. We understand them just fine, we have just reached different conclusions about them than you have, and we find your preferred epistomoloigcal methodology to be quite unsatisfactory.
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

guy sajer wrote:Putarach, most of us have as much, if not more, experience in the Mormon Church as you. We quite understand numbers 1-3 above, but unlike you, we do not find them compelling. Don't be going all Makelenian on us by claiming you understand the "gospel" and its doctrines so much better than us. We understand them just fine, we have just reached different conclusions about them than you have, and we find your preferred epistomoloigcal methodology to be quite unsatisfactory.

Which I fully understand. That is why you rarely see me state my justification because I know it won't fly very far with those who have luxury suites in the great and spacious building. But, once in a while I can't resist; such as when I see the opening post. I usually get triggered when somebody makes a remark about how ridiculous the Church is, angels and plates and all, when Christianity is much more the ridiculous. But, you wouldn't be cowed by such an argument because you reject the Miracle known as Christianity.

P
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Zakuska wrote:Whats wrong with Marrying other men's wives? David did it.

And David died for it, and was condemned to hell for eternity. Not to mention that David lived in a very different environment, in a very different culture, in a very different century than Joseph Smith did. For Joseph to seek validation for his actions from the Old Testament is a verification of how far he'd gotten in his continual binge on the sweet liquor of power.
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

Plutarch wrote:
guy sajer wrote:Putarach, most of us have as much, if not more, experience in the Mormon Church as you. We quite understand numbers 1-3 above, but unlike you, we do not find them compelling. Don't be going all Makelenian on us by claiming you understand the "gospel" and its doctrines so much better than us. We understand them just fine, we have just reached different conclusions about them than you have, and we find your preferred epistomoloigcal methodology to be quite unsatisfactory.

Which I fully understand. That is why you rarely see me state my justification because I know it won't fly very far with those who have luxury suites in the great and spacious building. But, once in a while I can't resist; such as when I see the opening post. I usually get triggered when somebody makes a remark about how ridiculous the Church is, angels and plates and all, when Christianity is much more the ridiculous. But, you wouldn't be cowed by such an argument because you reject the Miracle known as Christianity.

P

OK, this makes sense and is reasonable. We, more or less, see the same things, use a different method to process/understand them, and reach different conclusions.

That's the way it should be, I suppose.

You're also correct that I do apply the same process to Christianity, and God, as a whole. I don't privilege my beliefs by subjecting them to lower standards of reason and evidence (well, I try not to).

I'm less inclined to call Christianity a miracle, as I think it's done more harm than good on balance, but that's a debate for another time.
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Plutarch wrote: It is not based upon slick rhetoric.

Mormonism is surely based on slick rhetoric.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Plutarch wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:

P

Where among any of your three items does it say, "Thou shalt worship Joseph Smith as a demi-god?" Also, I think you know full well that some of these so-called "other good people" did recant, and actually turned on Joseph Smith in disgust over his activities. Finally, I have not "mocked" the scriptures, Spirit, or witnesses anywhere. I readily admit that my use of citations is limited, however, and I would never claim that I "understood" everything.