Coffin nails

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Plutarch wrote:But, if one were to presuppose that polygamy was a commandment of God, then the rest of your armadillos don't seem like so much.

Does that presupposition include marrying other men's wives?

I spoke with Dale on FAIR/MAD about this. (Not to be confused with Uncle Dale...although both Dales are RLDS)

The RLDS view, and the apologist view also seems to fall in line with this, is that Joseph's polyandry was part of the Law of Adoption. He was basically sealing himself to everyone to make sure that they were all together in the Celestial Kingdom. He sealed himself to men, too.

This practice was done away with under Brigham Young.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

He was basically sealing himself to everyone to make sure that they were all together in the Celestial Kingdom. He sealed himself to men, too.

Was Joseph reported to be having marital relations with the husbands, in addition to with the wives?
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Plutarch wrote:But, if one were to presuppose that polygamy was a commandment of God, then the rest of your armadillos don't seem like so much.

Does that presupposition include marrying other men's wives?

One would also have to presuppose that God is a misogynist, or at the very least, he views women as property of, and inferior to, men.

He's a mass murderer also, so compared to that, I guess misogyny isn't all that bad.
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

harmony wrote:
He was basically sealing himself to everyone to make sure that they were all together in the Celestial Kingdom. He sealed himself to men, too.

Was Joseph reported to be having marital relations with the husbands, in addition to with the wives?

No...but he was sealed to men as well as women.

There is still speculation on whether or not Joseph Smith actually had sexual relations with the married women he was sealed to. I've heard arguments from both side of the aisle on that one.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

I don't know how to respond except to say that I don't think Joseph Smith is superfluous. I think he is the greatest man who ever lived on this earth, save Jesus Christ alone.

Please tell us why you think this about Joseph Smith.

Thank you.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

But, if one were to presuppose that polygamy was a commandment of God, then the rest of your armadillos don't seem like so much.
]

One could suppose about anything goes if God really DID command one thing or another.

So, you are an attorney. How does one determine if something is like this really was commanded of God?
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: Coffin nails

Post by _Mercury »

Plutarch wrote:11. The Church follows a God who loves each of us, including those who hurt and injure His anointed by saying foul things about them on the Internet anonymously.

that's funny, your saying things anonymously on the internet. I take offense every time you say the LDS church is gods church anonymously.

Besides. Would it make a difference if you actually knew who was saying what? There is no purpose to knowing who in real life posts what besides your ability to run to said persons bishop and demand they be reprimanded.

What would you do if you actually knew who was posting? Not a damn thing is the answer...or would you scream like a little kid and whine to the pseudoauthorities you call master?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Plutarch wrote:I think he [i.e., Joseph Smith] is the greatest man who ever lived on this earth, save Jesus Christ alone.

Based on what merits? Historically (the actual kind, not your faith-based approach) then David koresh and L Ron Hubbard are also the greatest men who ever lived.

Reality check please!
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Sure, I can say that I believe God is green and someone else can believe he is red. Who knows. All that we could do is discuss it, not come to a conclusion.

Of the Living Christ, the Prophet Joseph wrote: "His eyes were as a flame of fire; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow; his countenance shone above the brightness of the sun; and his voice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters, even the voice of Jehovah, saying:

"I am the first and the last; I am he who liveth, I am he who was slain; I am your advocate with the Father" (D&C 110:3–4).

Of Him the Prophet also declared: "And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!

"For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father—

"That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God" (D&C 76:22–24).

God is bright White.

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

Jason Bourne wrote:
But, if one were to presuppose that polygamy was a commandment of God, then the rest of your armadillos don't seem like so much.
]

One could suppose about anything goes if God really DID command one thing or another.

So, you are an attorney. How does one determine if something is like this really was commanded of God?

Sorry. It doesn't come from legal proofs. The type of proofs I would adduce here would be subject to instant mockery.

P