Who's on the MAD Chopping Block?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.

Who Will Get Banned Next?

Total votes: 0

_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

Sethbag:

It's good to see you over here. How did you find this place?

And did you ever see The Big Lebowski (like I told you to)?

And why do you call yourself "Sethbag"?

Sethbag wrote:In fact, recently one of the TBMs, I forget who, actually replied to The Dude in a thread asking if his wife knew he was having an affair or some crap like that.

Who said that?

edit: it was YH8 who insinuated that The Dude was having an affair, in this thread. And the funny thing is I have this sneaking suspicion that YH8 isn't any better respected by most of the TBMs than by the critics - the guy posts absolutely bizarre and outlandish stuff.

Oh, that guy. He is absolutely the most useless person on the board. I once said something about Zakuska being useless (in a post on this board), but I was wrong to say that. I take it back 1000 times. Nobody comes close to YH8. Sometimes I complain about him to the moderators, and like half a day later, they go back and edit his crappy posts or give him a red text warning. The guy seriously thinks he knows who I am, that I'm some big fake, and people are starting to "see through my fascade". What the hell????

(One last thing, Sethbag. MAD has a block on links from this board to theirs, so if I click on "this thread" to go to the link where YH8 said I was having an affair, it just gives an error message. It's easier if you use the full URL because we have to copy and paste it into the browser to get back to MAD.)
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Mister Scratch wrote:
P.S. Fortigurn has been banned.

So... What to do? If Fortigurn turns up over here, I will happily do a dossier in his/her honor.

If he / she doesn't, could you consider doing a dossier on Mr. Itchy? I was, after all, the first to vote for Fortigurn on this thread (perhaps the mods can look through the logs and prove it, but I'm not sure). In the meanwhile I suppose we should wait to see where Fortigurn goes.

What if Fortigurn is Will Schriver?
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

The Dude wrote:Oh, that guy. He is absolutely the most useless person on the board. I once said something about Zakuska being useless (in a post on this board), but I was wrong to say that. I take it back 1000 times.

Good because I enjoy some of Zakuska's one-liners.
Nobody comes close to YH8.

True that.

And nobody comes close to being God either (at least not in this life).

Just sayin' ;o)
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I would absolutely love to find out how Pahoran gets to act the way he does and not get banned. Same with Kemara. And in the thread where Fortigurn got banned, Hammer really was attacking hard and basically gets off with a slap on the wrist. It is interesting to know Hammer's been suspended before. But how he can continually get away with his attacks, and his assertions (read the thread about the church losing youth) that people who leave the church do so because they have moral issues and are just looking to shift the blame for their sins to someone else, is beyond me. Critics get called "mind readers" all the time for even thinking about why someone did this or that, and this whole "they just leave because they're sinning and need to blame it on someone else" crap is "mind reading" if ever there was. Same thing whenever a TBM on that board spots a critic questioning proof with respect to God and insinuates that someone's an adulterer. In fact, recently one of the TBMs, I forget who, actually replied to The Dude in a thread asking if his wife knew he was having an affair or some crap like that. If that shouldn't get one banned on MAD, I don't know what should.

I can tell you how Pahoran got away with it on Z - he and the board's owner (whom I do not believe participates on boards anymore anywhere) were cyber friends from way back when they were dueling buddies on ARM. When I was a mod on Z, along with Jan and Cal (whom I suspect are now mods on MAD), the most we could do with the owner's consent was to ban Pahoran for a couple of months. Then we'd have to let him back and see if he would now behave. It was my biggest "issue" as a moderator - I kept telling them as long as we kept letting Pahoran back in, because EVERYONE knew that any critic who acted like he did would have been banned permanently LONG ago, we lose some "moral authority", so to speak, with other posters. But it was useless - the board owner was too fond of him to allow us to do that.

Also, with some exceptions, many believers really like Pahoran and think he really demolishes critics. I think he acts the way some of them would like to, but hold themselves back, frankly. I did know a couple of believers who wanted to see Pahoran go as much as I did on Z because he gave their "side" a bad name, but they were the minority. Most seem to silently cheer him on.

I do think that believers who post on MAD are often very frustrated and angry because they really have a to try and make lemons from lemonade, so to speak. It's a hard job. Funny how they resist admitting that the apologist's job is much harder than the critic's job. I mean, really, let's get a reality check here. Who is going to have an easier job - someone criticizing Joseph Smith's polyandry, for example, or someone defending it??? I think that underlying frustration is why believers prefer the Animal Farm of Mad, where they are more equal. They "deserve" to be more equal (as far as moderating goes).

Seth, I believe you are the one who called Mad a "TBM" board, and that is very true. It's not a debate board at all, although it presents itself as one. It is a TBM board and everything is designed to help along the TBM argument, most particularly how it is moderated.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

moksha wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote: Well, Why Me, my offer still stands: If you proffer a guess, and turn out to be right, I will happily write a dossier on the MAD poster of your choosing!

In the meantime, how about some nice dossiers on two very nice posters: Katherine the Great and Koakaipo. That way you could help balance some of the sours with these two sweets.

And Scratch could re-edit my dossier to give a glimpse of my sweet personality. He was kind of rough with me.
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

I have to say, after encountering Sargon on another forum, and having found him very courteous, even under heavy opposition, I wasn't quite prepared for the hate, aggression, and sheer abuse of MAD (to which Sargon invited me).

I could have done with a few pointers from the oldtimer 'critics' on MAD as to how to avoid being banned (without warning), though it seems that the only way to stay in good with them is to do what they want.

I like Sethbag, and found it shocking that he - as a Mormon - was reduced to grovelling for his life just for asking what had happened to his signature. I saw other non-Mormon critics survive by raising objections to LDS teaching, but always giving the Mormons a backdoor with a disclaimer like 'Of course we can't be sure', or 'That doesn't mean this proves the Book of Mormon isn't true', so I suppose it's ok to be a critic as long as you undermine your own argument as soon as you make it.

I liked beastie. She stands up for what she believes, and doesn't back down.
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

Fort: You really think you were banned "without warning?" I thought you were out for three days and came back.

Welcome to this board, composed of sad folks.

P
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

asbestosman wrote:What if Fortigurn is Will Schriver?

To the best of my knowledge, I am not 'Will Schriver'.
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

Plutarch wrote:Fort: You really think you were banned "without warning?" I thought you were out for three days and came back.

Yes, I was banned without warning. First I was suspended without warning, and then after that I was banned without warning, or explanation.

Thanks. I see the Mormons here pointedly avoid attempting to explain the abuse on the other forum.
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

Fortigurn wrote:
Plutarch wrote:Fort: You really think you were banned "without warning?" I thought you were out for three days and came back.

Yes, I was banned without warning. First I was suspended without warning, and then after that I was banned without warning, or explanation.

Thanks. I see the Mormons here pointedly avoid attempting to explain the abuse on the other forum.

So, how was it that you were "banned without warning" when you had had previously a suspension. I thought you were pretty abusive (that doesn't mean to say that Pahoran and others didn't abuse you), but it seems that being of an evil disposition after the warnings you received made your fate predictable.

P