Recovering From MAD

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Re: Recovering From MAD

Post by _asbestosman »

Analytics wrote:I found his comments to be full of disdain for secularism, and I thought he was putting all sorts of ugly thoughts into others. But I wanted him to clarify his position before I judged him too hard. I asked him,
Here is a serious question: What’s your point? Are you saying that if everybody saw the light and became secularists that the human race would literally become a species in danger of extinction? Or are you saying that since various backwards cultures over-breed that secularism will go extinct unless they continually get converts from the irresponsible breeders? Or are you saying that if we want our culture (i.e. our non-Catholic, non-Islam, white western culture) to survive, we need to outbreed the Catholics, Muslims, and welfare moms?

Smac got highly offended at the way in which I asked him to clarify his position, and decided to have a chat with the mods. There response to me was hilariously ironic, given Smac's posts on the thread.

(bold mine) Of course Smac was offended. You asked your question offensively (whether he deserved it is beside the point as such a judgment is subjective).

Analytics wrote:
Therefore, I’m pro-Mormon, right?

I knew that less than half of the people there would get the point, but was surprised that Momus almost immediately shut it down with a terse “No personal threads.”

If you're smart enough to make the point, you should have been smart enough to leave yourself out of it in the first place.

Analytics wrote:Strike 3
But I thought my point was worthwhile, so I started the thread again, slightly reworded so that the slower mods wouldn’t be confused as to the point. I made some headway with somebody who originally claimed that “pro-abortion” was a correct term, but then conceded,
You are right that the pro-abortion label is likely unfair to place on all proponents of abortion. Many do believe that the right to an abortion should be protected, even if the person would never choose one for themselves or loved one--I supect there are some LDS who take this stand and would never consider themselves pro-abortion. I'm certain Mitt Romney was one who thought like this(when he ran as pro-choice).

Labeling the other side "pro-abortion" is a political tactic. But so is labeling your opponents "war-mongers". Both sides don't care about being honest or accurate--they care about winning and making extreme statements about their opponents is a normal tactic.

I decided to quibble with the last point, because the word “warmongering” is a superlatively accurate description of President Bush’s actions before the Iraq invasion. In contrast, “pro-abortion” isn’t at all accurate.

The topic of the thread was accurately labeling people, and all I’d done is juxtaposed the word “warmonger” with the word “pro-abortion”, and compared and contrasted whether the words were heated and whether the words were accurate. I was right in the middle of the strike zone of the thread’s topic. But again the moderator was too dense to understand my point, and responded,
You just turned this into a political thread. Thread closed.

You took the bait and got sidetracked. You should have requested that the poster leave out the comment about "war-mongering" because of how easily it leads to political fights. However much I may disagree with the Bush administration, there are those who might view said policy as inevitable instead of pro-war or warmongering.

That said, welcome to the board. I appreciate an intelligent critic.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

AHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh YAY!

Analytics my friend... how are you?

The unmoderated (or slightly moderated) forum is so refreshing.

I'm glad you got reprimanded if it brought you here! ;-)

There is something for everyone here.

Glad you have arrived ...

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Re: Recovering From MAD

Post by _The Dude »

Smac's "fur babies" thread was a piece of work.

Do not put imply ugly thoughts to other posters. We aren't going to put up with disdain anymore so make a choice. ~ Mods.

Oh, the irony. There would only be a fraction of the red text warnings if the moderators stopped implying ugly thoughts to relatively innocuous critics. (relative to some of the nastier apologists who are emboldened by this style of moderating)

Well, you've made your choice Analytics. I guess I'll see you over here from now on.
_grayskull
_Emeritus

Post by _grayskull »

I wonder how many people smac thinks the planet will sustain. won't it be a joy once the gospel goes to china and they start building mormon-size families there.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Of course Smac was offended. You asked your question offensively (whether he deserved it is beside the point as such a judgment is subjective).

I don’t disagree, but Smac was already being every bit as boorish as I was.

If you're smart enough to make the point, you should have been smart enough to leave yourself out of it in the first place.

One would think so; I certainly overestimated the mods. My mistake.

You took the bait and got sidetracked. You should have requested that the poster leave out the comment about "war-mongering" because of how easily it leads to political fights. However much I may disagree with the Bush administration, there are those who might view said policy as inevitable instead of pro-war or warmongering.

I guess. In general I’m not very good at political maneuvering, and perhaps one needs to allow for such heavy-handed inanity if one is to participate there.

But if I may freely talk about the point here, there wasn’t an overwhelming grass-roots outcry that demanded we go to war and Bush reluctantly went along with it because it was inevitable. We went to war because the Bush administration decided that they wanted to go to war, and then successfully warmongered to convince Congress and the people to go along with it.

Now, perhaps going to war was a great idea. But that doesn’t mean that Bush didn’t warmonger.

But be all that as it may, I’m not going to participate there because I should be able to argue the following: if hypothetically one shouldn’t call Bush a warmonger, it would be for a different reason than why you shouldn’t call the secular left pro-abortion. Both terms may be highly offensive, but one is in fact accurate.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

I've decided I'm just not going to post anything about MAD anymore, so forgive me for not participating other than to say welcome.

I got your pro-Mormon post (you even replied to me this morning, I believe, or maybe it was last night).

Runtu/Not quite me
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

grayskull wrote:I wonder how many people smac thinks the planet will sustain. won't it be a joy once the gospel goes to china and they start building mormon-size families there.

Luke 1:37. See also Matt. 17:20.

If God is powerful enough to do everything logical (save perhaps change the moral law above Him), then God could easily increase the resources of this planet--either that or give a new commandment to slow down on the reproductoin thing. Heck, He could even smite people with infertility--a fate worse than being struck with the ability to only produce the sound of silence.

Anyhow, it looks like Smac's point was that if western society doesn't do something, then Islam will take over and rid us of our freedom to worship. I'm not so convinced. For one thing I think that there are much more important things to winning such freedom than sheer numbers:

1) The power of God.
2) The power of the Atom.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

Vanity can indeed be an impediment to a successful run on MAD.

Welcome. You are in a vain group.

P
_cksalmon
_Emeritus

Post by _cksalmon »

Runtu wrote:I've decided I'm just not going to post anything about MAD anymore, so forgive me for not participating other than to say welcome.

I got your pro-Mormon post (you even replied to me this morning, I believe, or maybe it was last night).

Runtu/Not quite me

Were you banned over at MADB?

You'll always be NQM to me. I always enjoyed your posts.

Best.

CKS
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

cksalmon wrote:
Runtu wrote:I've decided I'm just not going to post anything about MAD anymore, so forgive me for not participating other than to say welcome.

Runtu/Not quite me

Were you banned over at MADB?

You'll always be NQM to me. I always enjoyed your posts.

Best.

CKS

Thanks. No, I wasn't banned. It was just getting too difficult for me over there. After 4 years or so, I thought I was getting along with people pretty well, but it went sour rather quickly. I just found myself getting defensive and angry all the time. Life's too short for that.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington