MAD's Chopping Block---Take 2

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.

Who Will the MADmods Ban Next?

Total votes: 0

_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

beastie wrote:Yes, chonguey is a good one as is jaybear. Jaybear has been "red inked" several times recently, If I recall correctly. In fact, I'd probably vote for either one of those two before sethbag, even with his posting here. After all, the dude has gotten away with posting here and on MAD for a while, and he was openly very critical of the latest moderator brouhaha (but did get red inked a couple of times right after that open criticism). I guess if one is likeable enough one can get away with it (that was meant as a compliment to both of them).

Another fact we have to take into account is that the MADmods read this MB. They are probably looking at these polls, laughing, and yet also being influenced by our speculations. I.e., do they "axe" the people we've named, and thereby look predictable in their fascism? Or do they hold off, thus enabling the critics to get in a few more digs?
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

beastie wrote:It's not whether or nor you are a defender of Mormonism, but rather if you are a defender of FARMism. I think traditional LDS who butt heads with the FARMish apologists are also at risk.

I can't take credit for realizing this distinction, but nor can I remember who pointed it out. But they are absolutely correct.

Actually, it was me who originally pointed it out, but I was afraid of going off on any tangents this time. :-)

Mister Scratch wrote:Another fact we have to take into account is that the MADmods read this MB. They are probably looking at these polls, laughing, and yet also being influenced by our speculations. I.e., do they "axe" the people we've named, and thereby look predictable in their fascism? Or do they hold off, thus enabling the critics to get in a few more digs?

You said exactly what I was thinking. Our speculating about moderator identities is inoccuous enough, but speculating on who will get the axe can actually play out in reality, much to their chagrin I'm sure.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Chonquey should definitely have been in on the poll. I personally voted for Bach in this one. He's been particularly persistent in some threads recently, willing to go toe to toe and drag out some pretty sharp conversations. He's also a pretty smart and insightful poster.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

I just saw Tal Bachman post. Can I change my vote?
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

heh, kind of reminds me of the last star trek next generation show with Q torturing Jean Luc, who had to try and figure out if he could save the universe by DOING something or by NOT doing something.

Now that I've embarrassed myself by revealing even more of my personal geekdom, I ought to go drown my shame in alcohol.

(ps, if anyone else "gets" this reference, you better not admit it at risk of revealing your own geekdom)

(and I say we torture them by continuing to DO something, ie, speculate madly and leave them in their quandary... should they prove us right or prove us wrong....LOL)
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Actually, it was me who originally pointed it out, but I was afraid of going off on any tangents this time. :-)

I should have known. ;)
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

I don't think there's any danger of Sethbag and Whyme being banned. Some think just posting here puts one in danger, but I don't think so. I doubt Hammer's in danger of banning--maybe temporary suspension if he's not careful. Bach might need to watch out--he's probably gotten the mod's attention--not a good thing if he wants to remain on MADB.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

I was banned on a exer/postmo site while Keene and Bryan were there. It seems that they have this interesting policy of saying that they believe in the positive aspects of the church or keep the good in Mormonism but remain to have the right to be critical and move beyond. The problem is that there is never anything positive about the church on their site but there is a barage of constant diparaging comments about the church.

The problem was that when I would post a positive, the wolves would gather and chew my butt off. I would mention their webpage and receive no adequate response. Finally, I was banned not for breaking the rules but for causing contention. And yet, I only posted some of the positives of the lds church (which is okay according to their webpage) and I called them on their speculative theory about the Book of Mormon and other lds things.

In truth, I would have preferred to post about Marxism since exer-postmos should be embracing the world but I was even told not to post on that aspect of my life. That is a strange sight for sure. Very cultish, it seems to me.

However, both MDb and MAD are good sites because all opinions are permitted and discussion can take place. Both boards have their policies but still there is discussion and debate. And that is good and healthy for all concerned.
_cksalmon
_Emeritus

Post by _cksalmon »

beastie wrote:
Yes, those things have probably placed him on their radar, but I'm nevertheless surprised that anyone would think he's anywhere near the chopping block.

On MA&D, it doesn't matter if you're active or inactive; all that matters is whether you're a defender of Mormonism. Why me has been entirely consistent with his defense of the faith, so I'm certain that they'll overlook those other three flaws.

It's not whether or nor you are a defender of Mormonism, but rather if you are a defender of FARMism. I think traditional LDS who butt heads with the FARMish apologists are also at risk.

I can't take credit for realizing this distinction, but nor can I remember who pointed it out. But they are absolutely correct.

Paul Osborne is a case in point, I'd say.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

moksha wrote:
Fortigurn wrote:Other posters who have been even more abusive haven't even been slapped.

They tried putting Pahoran in a cage before, but he just chewed through the bars. Why Me is right, the defenders of the Church undoubtedly grow weary due to all that defense. I know when I am tired , I can get peevish as well. The trick is to pull back from this peevishness and remind yourself that the person you are angry with is also a shining child of God before you hit the submit button. Despite his quills, I bet Pahoran could make a good friend. At least you know he would be fiercely loyal.

I don't think that the critics realize just how tough it is to be under a constant barage of gunner posts. It can be tough and yes, you are right, one should step back and see the human behind the post. I try to keep my eye foscused on the person who is posting and just what may be going on in their lives to make them post in the tone that they are posting.

I think that Pahoran is a good guy and most likely a great guy to know. He has been consistent in his defense and in his early days, he put the critic in his or her place rather well.