MAD's Chopping Block---Take 2

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.

Who Will the MADmods Ban Next?

Total votes: 0

_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

beastie wrote:But the problem is that your evaluation of this situation - ie, that believers only engage in bad behavior due to being provoked by the situation - is completely subjective and biased in itself. An argument can be made that people who CHOOSE to participate on a board where they KNOW their cherished belief systems are going to be criticized ought to be in control of themselves enough not to react with personal attacks and extraordinary offense. In other words, if you can't take the heat, why the heck do you keep going into the kitchen?

That was always my problem with FAIR - I believed that the participants were adults cognizant of the fact that their beliefs were going to be criticized, and yet they wanted to participate in a "fair" analysis of those criticisms. I naïvely didn't realize that what LDS seem to primarily want is a board with a lot of support and believer cheerleading, with a controlled input from critics - controlled in order to minimize the threat.

Backing vocals for beastie.
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

why me wrote:But for many, the constant playing of the black pieces can be rather tiring and it can fray the nerves.

Those who are incapable of defending their faith and maintaining Christlike behaviour, should leave the job to others. Do you have any idea how it makes you all look?
_cksalmon
_Emeritus

Post by _cksalmon »

Fortigurn wrote:
why me wrote:But for many, the constant playing of the black pieces can be rather tiring and it can fray the nerves.

Those who are incapable of defending their faith and maintaining Christlike behaviour, should leave the job to others. Do you have any idea how it makes you all look?

I think it makes a select few look disfigured, but not all of them/us. I do wonder at the number of closed threads on MADB: nine on the first four pages currently.

I don't remember seeing a single closed thread here at MDB. Am I mistaken in that?

Some of the MADB closings are due to political content. I can respect that. Others aren't. I don't get it.

The modding is far from transparent there. It seems to proceed at the whim of whoever is modding at the time.

Best.

CKS
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

cksalmon wrote:I think it makes a select few look disfigured, but not all of them/us.

Most. Those who aren't actively involved in the hate slinging, abuse, and offensive language, are either involved in suspending/banning the non-Mormons who protest against it, or are involved in defending the behaviour.

As an individual, I could proabably respect 'why me' a lot more than I do. But his defence of the abusive behaviour of his fellow Mormons, and his defence of the one sided moderation on MAD prevents me.

Of course, I do understand that on that forum if he doesn't do what he's told and defend the abuse and moderators, he would probably be penalised himself. But at least I could respect him for taking a stand on principle.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

cksalmon wrote:I think it makes a select few look disfigured, but not all of them/us. I do wonder at the number of closed threads on MADB: nine on the first four pages currently.

I don't remember seeing a single closed thread here at MDB. Am I mistaken in that?

I haven't seen a closed thread yet on this board. To my knowledge there are none. If a thread gets too provacative for its forum it will be bumped down a notch (and the Telestial is unmoderated). A few pictures have been deleted. That's about it.

Some of the MADB closings are due to political content. I can respect that. Others aren't. I don't get it.

If something goes outside what the MAD mods are comfortable with, they'll usually close it. There's a long list of do's and don't for posting on that board and what's exceptable. A lot fewer rules here.

The modding is far from transparent there. It seems to proceed at the whim of whoever is modding at the time.

Not only is the MAD modding "in your face" and overbearing, it's also unfair, unbalanced, and the rules are unevenly enforced.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Everyone's wrong. antishock8 just got buzzed.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Bond...James Bond wrote:Everyone's wrong. antishock8 just got buzzed.

I'm not familiar with "antishock8" could you tell us more about it?

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Jersey Girl wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:Everyone's wrong. antishock8 just got buzzed.

I'm not familiar with "antishock8" could you tell us more about it?

Jersey Girl

--------antishock8 has only a few hundred posts (like 300), and thus may not be as well known as some other posters. On a topic called "Joseph Smith: The Con Man" which was mostly just people defending Joseph Smith, antishock jumped in with this post (found below).

antishock8 wrote:I can't believe that there are rational adults who are defending a man who clearly mislead people with the treasure hunting scheme, "glass looking", and a host of other questionable behaviors and claims. It's so important for you to believe that you have to suspend common sense. I really doubt that any Mormons in this day and age would be taken in by anyone like Joseph Smith. It's incredible to me that people want to believe in something so bad they're willing to dismiss the obvious. I'm continually stunned by some people's faith.

--------antishock8's response to a respondent (why me) to his original post and Momus's warning.

Momus wrote:
QUOTE(antishock8 @ Feb 25 2007, 01:49 PM)

Common sense suspended? Check.
Rationalization? Check.
Faith in tact? Check.

It's almost like all you need to do is just ramble out some sort of nonsensical thought and that's that. You're cured of objective thought. That's crazy. Don't you realize what you just typed is pure foolishness? Utter nonsense? You have to realize it, I'm sure, on some level because you're not being taken in by every modern preacher or soothesayer that claims to have revelation from upon High. Once again, I'm stunned by a believer's irrational faith. Stunned.

If you are not interested in discussion and only ridicule then why be here? Why not leave this board and go to one more your style. Consider this a warning.

Momus

--------antishock8 replied:

This is discussion, Moderator. Your sensitivity to my opinion isn't indicitive of anything other than your own pathology. I'm speaking to you and your ilk in very plain, clear and concise language. I don't delve into counter-apologia because that behavior simply reinforces the Mormon meme. You're threatened because I don't play pretend with you. You can take your toys and go home, or you can grow up and start to discuss things in an adult, rational manner. I hope, for your sake and for the sake of other Mormons caught up in their mass delusion, you act like an adult and engage rather than exclude because your feelings are hurt.

--------Consequently he got the axe from Orpheus. Que the Queen, "Another one bites the dust..."
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Well, how sad. I guess I need to fire up a third installment to this ongoing saga. In antishock8 finds his way over here, I will gladly to the dossier of his choice.
_Nightingale
_Emeritus

antishock

Post by _Nightingale »

antishock used to post on RfM when I first found my way there after leaving the Mormon Church. Then he went over to the Social board, that I don't visit much but I think he still posts at least occasionally there. His exit story, written on the RfM Bio Board a few years ago, was one of the most poignant I have ever read.

He is certainly straightforward in expressing his opinions. I was surprised to see him at FAIR/MADB and surprised he lasted even this long. He just doesn't have the patience any more for moderate discussions, it seems. I find his in-your-faceness refreshing, usually, even though we have quite different opinions on things. He has always been nice to me and posted quite a bit on my first threads at RfM when I was desperate to know that nobody lied, they're just mistaken. Uh....

One thing at MADB, as you likely know, you can't say "deluded" or you'll likely find yourself outside the corral pretty quick. I don't think antishock would be surprised by that. Maybe disappointed.

What I'd like to know is whether a "critic" (who would seem to be anyone who is not temple-LDS) is welcome there as long as they are not ex-LDS? In other words, I still don't quite get who it is they want to participate on that board. I agree with the other posts on various threads here discussing this topic that it's surprising and disappointing to observe the "non-Christian" response that often occurs there. Theoretically, no matter what is thrown at you, as a Christian you are supposed to rise above it, no? I even said that a few times when I first showed up at FAIR, notably to DCP re calling people liars etc. It's all becoming more clear to me now why some posters weren't all that welcoming to me. It's just that you don't know the invisible rules when you first get there. I thought I was fairly nice about saying it was surprising to me that Christians would debate in such a manner. I didn't know that even saying critical things nicely is a big no-no, apparently, for most posters. I do get sick of fighting though. It seriously derails discussion of any actual topics. :/