Apologetic Reality Disconnect

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Zakuska
_Emeritus

Re: Apologetic Reality Disconnect

Post by _Zakuska »

Mister Scratch wrote:
The Dude wrote:I think the problem is the word "believes". It's nearly impossible to prove what the LDS church believes, because different members believe different things... it's a lot easier to show what the LDS church teaches. Plenty of scriptures, lesson manuals, and websites can be used to show that this connection is taught or implied.

An excellent point. A further problem for apologists on this issue is the fact that the ban on interracial marriage (which has its justification both in doctrine and in scripture) has never been officially or publicly revoked.

Actually it was in 1978 when the curse was lifted.

And As I said elsewhere it was more a ban on extra-faith marraiges than on race mixing. Where not the Samaritains a mixed race?
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Zakuska wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:
The Dude wrote:I think the problem is the word "believes". It's nearly impossible to prove what the LDS church believes, because different members believe different things... it's a lot easier to show what the LDS church teaches. Plenty of scriptures, lesson manuals, and websites can be used to show that this connection is taught or implied.

An excellent point. A further problem for apologists on this issue is the fact that the ban on interracial marriage (which has its justification both in doctrine and in scripture) has never been officially or publicly revoked.

Actually it was in 1978 when the curse was lifted.

And As I said elsewhere it was more a ban on extra-faith marraiges than on race mixing. Where not the Samaritains a mixed race?

You are incorrect, Zakuska. The ban on interracial marriage, has never been publicly revoked. Believe me, I have gone the rounds on this subject before, and in fact was queued on the ironically named FAIRboard after I demonstrated that the ban has never been "officially lifted." (In fact, I would argue that one can still see vestiges of it---or whatever remains of it---in the racist counsel against interracial marriage.) I defeated DCP in the debate and was summarily queued for it. (He was forced to rely upon a fatally flawed argumentum ad populum.) You are mistaken, my dear Zak, to assume that the priesthood ban and the interracial marriage ban are necessarily one and the same, or based on the same scripture or doctrine. This is a common mistake that many TBMs make, and will no doubt continue to make until the Brethren wise up and officially denounce the ban.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Zakuska wrote: And As I said elsewhere it was more a ban on extra-faith marriages than on race mixing. Where not the Samaritans a mixed race?

So Mormons were banned from marrying both Blacks and Samaritans?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace