A nice Saturday afternoon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_harmony
_Emeritus

A nice Saturday afternoon

Post by _harmony »

A little over a month ago, we found out the Young Ambassadors would be coming to a town near me. They were being sponsored by a neighboring stake. Twenty minutes after the tickets went on sale, they were sold out. So the stake negotiated with BYU, and the group was gracious enough to stage a matinee performance. Tickets were divided up between the remaining stakes in my area, with about 300 tickets per stake. My ward was alloted 35 tickets. Notice was put in the bulletin and a list was created. I managed to get 4 tickets. My husband, my mother, and my daughter were going to go with me. My husband got sick and my daughter ended up out of town, so the group ended up being my mother, two of her friends (all non-members), and me. A great time was had by all.

Some comments:

1. These kids really know how to dance and sing. They put on a wonderful show. They are a credit to themselves and their families. They obviously worked very hard on this production.

2. My ward was given most of the 3rd row. Excellent seats. We were right in the middle.

3. I was the only one in the ward that brought non-LDS. It would have been an excellent missionary moment.

4. Proceeds for the 2nd performance (about $6000) were given to a local charity, which I thought was an excellent idea. Proceeds from the primary performance were used to cover the costs of the show.

5. These youth will be representing the church in a tour through China this summer. Are we about to open a mission in China soon?

6. There were about 24 in the cast, about 12 of each gender. There were 2 of African descent, both women. There was 1 Latino man. No one of Asian heritage. The rest were white. All beautiful youth. The Latino man and one of the women of African descent introduced each segment.

7. They ended the show with an acapella rendition of I Am a Child of God in perfect harmony.

8. My mother, a Baptist, and her friends, a Baptist and a Catholic, were delighted with the show.

It was an altogether excellent experience. Well done, BYU. For once, I was not ashamed of you.
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

Thank goodness for backhanded compliments.

Plu