Romney, role models and racism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.

Will romneys heroes shoot him in the foot?

Total votes: 0

_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

liz3564 wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
liz3564 wrote:I voted "No" for two reasons. First of all, we don't know who Romney's "heros" are. Assuming that Brigham Young is a hero of Romney's, is like assuming Brigham Young is a hero of mine. And, he definitely isn't. You can't just assume things about people.

Frankly, I don't think it will be Romney's association with the Church that will do him in as far as his candidacy goes. It will be his flip-flopping on policies.

You overstate the flip flopping. There are two issues that he moved on. For both he was moderate and now he has moved more conservative. And all running have flipped flopped to some degree.

The problem, though, is that Romney ran on his more moderate views in a VERY liberal state. Now that he is trying to swing the conservative vote his way, he's claiming to have "evolved" to a more conservative stance. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what's happening here.

My guess is that if, by some miracle, he did win the primary, and then the election, his views would "evolve" again to the more moderate side to accommodate the general populace. It would, no doubt be done subtley, but it would happen nonetheless.

We'll never agree on this, Jason, but it's fun arguing with you about it. ;)

Richard Nixon said to campaign to the right to get the nomination and to the center to win the election.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Jason Bourne wrote:
liz3564 wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
liz3564 wrote:I voted "No" for two reasons. First of all, we don't know who Romney's "heros" are. Assuming that Brigham Young is a hero of Romney's, is like assuming Brigham Young is a hero of mine. And, he definitely isn't. You can't just assume things about people.

Frankly, I don't think it will be Romney's association with the Church that will do him in as far as his candidacy goes. It will be his flip-flopping on policies.

You overstate the flip flopping. There are two issues that he moved on. For both he was moderate and now he has moved more conservative. And all running have flipped flopped to some degree.

The problem, though, is that Romney ran on his more moderate views in a VERY liberal state. Now that he is trying to swing the conservative vote his way, he's claiming to have "evolved" to a more conservative stance. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what's happening here.

My guess is that if, by some miracle, he did win the primary, and then the election, his views would "evolve" again to the more moderate side to accommodate the general populace. It would, no doubt be done subtley, but it would happen nonetheless.

We'll never agree on this, Jason, but it's fun arguing with you about it. ;)

Richard Nixon said to campaign to the right to get the nomination and to the center to win the election.

Yes, speaking of role models...
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Yes, speaking of role models...

And who might your's be, praytell?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I would hate to see my fellow Mormons continually hobbled by the mistakes of the past. Especially, when the mistakes have been largely rectified and we have moved on. Acknowledgment of mistakes is important and forgiveness of them even more so.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

moksha wrote:I would hate to see my fellow Mormons continually hobbled by the mistakes of the past. Especially, when the mistakes have been largely rectified and we have moved on. Acknowledgment of mistakes is important and forgiveness of them even more so.

Not for Vegas. Romney is responsible for it all. MMM, AG, Blood atonement, et, all
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Jason Bourne wrote:
moksha wrote:I would hate to see my fellow Mormons continually hobbled by the mistakes of the past. Especially, when the mistakes have been largely rectified and we have moved on. Acknowledgment of mistakes is important and forgiveness of them even more so.

Not for Vegas. Romney is responsible for it all. MMM, AG, Blood atonement, et, all

So you acknowledge this? maybe if we could get enough press together we could peg it all on him. Do you think he was responsible for the Hoffman bombings too?

Oh yeah, that was not romney, it was Hinckley!
Lost in time
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Ah, vengeance was the church's, and they took a little.
Lost in time
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

So you acknowledge this? maybe if we could get enough press together we could peg it all on him. Do you think he was responsible for the Hoffman bombings too?

Sure!!!

No,no! It was really Mitt after all. Just think of the evil he has in store for us as president.
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

The MMM had, of course, nothing to do with the Church, and no present historical documentation indicates so. "Blood Atonement" is pure myth. There was never such a practice in the Church. The "doctrine" of Blood Atonement was an extrapolation by enemies of the Church of some statements made by Brigham Young and others about, both the nature of Atonement vis a vis Christ's shedding of his blood for our sins, and capital punishment for certain serious crimes, such as murder, in which a major part of the repentance process, restitution, cannot be achieved by the perpetrator. The idea is then that the perpetrator must sacrifice something of equal value to him (his own life), as a partial restitution of what was taken.

I confess I don't know what AG is, but the Church has nothing to own up to as far as the MMM and "Blood Atonement", neither of which ever had anything to do with "The Church" at all.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Jason Bourne wrote:

Sure!!!

No,no! It was really Mitt after all. Just think of the evil he has in store for us as president.

Do you think hinckley pulled out the ole seer stone to authenticate it?

Meh, maybee he drew a magic circle around it...its what Joe would have done in his teens and early twenties.

(in monotone):followthefprophetfollowthefprophetfollowthefprophetfollowthefprophet
followthefprophetfollowthefprophetfollowthefprophetfollowthefprophetfollowthefprophet
followthefprophetfollowthefprophetfollowthefprophetfollowthefprophetfollowthefprophet
Lost in time