Missionary charged with abusing 12-year-old convert

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Notoriuswun
_Emeritus

Re: Missionary charged with abusing 12-year-old convert

Post by _Notoriuswun »

Mister Scratch wrote:An excellent point, Notoriuswun. While I can understand the POV of others who argue that the missionary acted alone and without the Church's "sanction," I think it's important to remember just what a missionary's life is typically like. Basically, a day in the life of the average missionary is almost totally scripted by the Church---down to the minute, almost. So I think that Notoriuswun's example actually does not go far enough. Whereas a Phillip Morris salesperson represents the company, an LDS missionary both represents and is "controlled" by the Church. Let's face it, the Church keeps quite a tight leash on the missionaries, and thus I think it is entirely fair to draw a correlation between this young man's admittedly aberrant behavior, and his superiors within the Church, or at least the atmosphere created by the Church and its mission program. It would be wrong, in my opinion, to overlook things such as the missionary lifestyle, the intense pressure placed upon missionaries, the regimented daily schedule, the admonitions against any sexual feelings whatsoever, etc., etc.

They are brainwashed into living a sex-free lifestyle...if I was the mish I would be suing the church! (that was a joke before I get jumped on).

Also, I give it approximately 5 more posts for someone to exclaim that the missionary was somehow "gay" - or at the very least his actions linked to a gay uncle or relative.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

TAK wrote:Goofiest quote of the day regarding this story ..

Hammer :
The timing of this is questionable. I would like to know how the parents feel about Mit Romney becoming President.

Is this from the website who's name shant be spoken?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

VegasRefugee wrote:

Hammer :
The timing of this is questionable. I would like to know how the parents feel about Mit Romney becoming President.

Yep. It's from MAD.

And for Notorius (an above post): The gay thing was already brought home on the MAD board.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Mister Scratch wrote:An excellent point, Notoriuswun. While I can understand the POV of others who argue that the missionary acted alone and without the Church's "sanction," I think it's important to remember just what a missionary's life is typically like. Basically, a day in the life of the average missionary is almost totally scripted by the Church---down to the minute, almost. So I think that Notoriuswun's example actually does not go far enough. Whereas a Phillip Morris salesperson represents the company, an LDS missionary both represents and is "controlled" by the Church. Let's face it, the Church keeps quite a tight leash on the missionaries, and thus I think it is entirely fair to draw a correlation between this young man's admittedly aberrant behavior, and his superiors within the Church, or at least the atmosphere created by the Church and its mission program. It would be wrong, in my opinion, to overlook things such as the missionary lifestyle, the intense pressure placed upon missionaries, the regimented daily schedule, the admonitions against any sexual feelings whatsoever, etc., etc.

What kind of legal message would be sent by taking money from the Church? Would we be telling them not to have has tight a leash on the missionaries so they don't get sued? What percentage of missionaries commit such acts? Shouldn't this have a bearing on determining whether it is the lifestyle that incites such behavior?

I've personally never understood individuals who sexually abuse others. Wouldn't it be better just to use your hand?
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_TAK
_Emeritus

Post by _TAK »

VegasRefugee wrote:

Hammer :

Do you really need to ask?? but yes..
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Coggins7 wrote:
An excellent point, Notoriuswun. While I can understand the POV of others who argue that the missionary acted alone and without the Church's "sanction," I think it's important to remember just what a missionary's life is typically like. Basically, a day in the life of the average missionary is almost totally scripted by the Church---down to the minute, almost. So I think that Notoriuswun's example actually does not go far enough. Whereas a Phillip Morris salesperson represents the company, an LDS missionary both represents and is "controlled" by the Church. Let's face it, the Church keeps quite a tight leash on the missionaries, and thus I think it is entirely fair to draw a correlation between this young man's admittedly aberrant behavior, and his superiors within the Church, or at least the atmosphere created by the Church and its mission program. It would be wrong, in my opinion, to overlook things such as the missionary lifestyle, the intense pressure placed upon missionaries, the regimented daily schedule, the admonitions against any sexual feelings whatsoever, etc., etc.

Would anyone like to take a shot at precisely what Scratch is implying here. Its pretty sick really, and indicative again, of just what lies beneath...

Loran

Please turn in your drivers license. I'm on the other side of teh Mississippi and I am still scared that you might be on a road, somewhere, operating a vehicle.

It gibbs me da heebeejeebees!!!

Still doing blackface?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

ajax18 wrote:What kind of legal message would be sent by taking money from the Church? Would we be telling them not to have has tight a leash on the missionaries so they don't get sued?

No... I do think that it could go a certain ways towards improving the Church's mission program, however. One hears far too many stories of missionaries breaking down, or freaking out, and so forth. Clearly, the simple bishop's interview isn't cutting it, so to speak, and it would seem that something is taking place within the context of the missionary lifestyle.

Further, I am not advocating a lawsuit against the Church, per se---I'm merely suggesting that we should not be so hasty as to exonerate the Church right off the bat. I think it is worthwhile to consider the role this young man's life as a missionary may have played in this whole scenario.

What percentage of missionaries commit such acts? Shouldn't this have a bearing on determining whether it is the lifestyle that incites such behavior?

Absolutely. The trouble is (from what I can gather) that scenarios such as this one are all-too-frequently swept under the rug, or handled away from media scrutiny. Further, as I noted above, there is ample anecdotal evidence that missionaries "break down" in a variety of ways.
_Notoriuswun
_Emeritus

Post by _Notoriuswun »

Bond...James Bond wrote:Yep. It's from MAD.

And for Notorius (an above post): The gay thing was already brought home on the MAD board.

I hear in the revised Book of Mormon version due out next year, a pedophile Lamanite sleeps with a fellow soldier...and goats as well.

I can't WAIT to get that scripture verse so I can frame it on my wall.
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Absolutely. The trouble is (from what I can gather) that scenarios such as this one are all-too-frequently swept under the rug, or handled away from media scrutiny. Further, as I noted above, there is ample anecdotal evidence that missionaries "break down" in a variety of ways.

Scratch would make an utterly fantastic reporter or investigative journalist for CBS Evening News, 60 Minutes, or Good Morming America. He'd be even more at home with Praavda. Innuendo, baseless speculation, leaps of logic without any clear justification, and preassumptions without any perceivable ground.

Nice work, if you can get it.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Coggins7 wrote:

Scratch would make an utterly fantastic reporter or investigative journalist for CBS Evening News, 60 Minutes, or Good Morming America. He'd be even more at home with Praavda. Innuendo, baseless speculation, leaps of logic without any clear justification, and preassumptions without any perceivable ground.

Nice work, if you can get it.

Lol... I freely concede, Loran, that the evidence is largely anecdotal. Are you ready to concede that your "most precious and dear" Church makes mistakes, and isn't perfect, and is thus susceptible to legitimate and necessary criticism?

Edited to add: I think that, quite sadly, your view allows unscrupulous higher-ups within the Church to get away virtually unscathed when they commit wrongs. (Paul H. Dunn comes to mind). Rabid defenders such as yourself contribute to a consequence-free atmosphere within the Church, especially among the hierarchy, which extends into some pretty disturbing and trouble places, such as the admonition to the prosecutor, during the Hofmann trial, to "take it easy on the Brethren." One wonders how deep the Church's manipulation of the political and judicial systems really goes. (Another instance would appear to be the scapegoating of John D. Lee for MMM.) The bottom line is that these abuses of power are related to your zealous and rather fundamentalist "defense" of all things LDS. It is a grossly irresponsible ideology, in my opinion.
Last edited by Physics Guy on Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.