Non-reporductive sex of married couples within Mormonism.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Beyond that, I have nothing more to say on the matter. I don't think it can be resolved to the satisfaction of either eroticism obsessed liberals or ant-Mormons who are hostile to the church regardless of the issue.

Wow! Slow down, Cog.

You're making some pretty giant leaps here. All anyone here did was state that this letter existed. And, it looks like you were fortunate in that the Church leaders you grew up with and associated with did what they were supposed to do and followed the counsel correctly.

Unfortunately, not all Church leaders did that...Hence the second letter written in October of that same year was written.

I don't think that you can lump posters here in two camps of either being "eroticism obsessed liberals" or "anti-Mormons who are hostile to the church".
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Runtu wrote:
Coggins7 wrote:Beyond that, I have nothing more to say on the matter. I don't think it can be resolved to the satisfaction of either eroticism obsessed liberals or ant-Mormons who are hostile to the church regardless of the issue.

I'm not sure you get much more widely disseminated than a First Presidency letter, but that's neither here nor there. I remember the letter, just as Liz does. Either way, you went from categorically denying that such counsel was ever given at any time to now saying that it was too obscure for you to have heard about.

It's OK to be mistaken once in a while. I'm wrong a considerable amount of the time.

I'm not obsessed with eroticism, nor am I a liberal. Am I anti-Mormon? I don't think so, but you never know. My issue wasn't with the church's right to say whatever it wants about sexuality but rather with your uninformed denial of well-known counsel.

LOL! Great minds think alike, Runtu! ;)
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Runtu wrote:
Coggins7 wrote:1. There is no official doctrine or counsel regarding oral sex in the church. I was never asked about such in any Priesthood interview I've ever had, including those for the Temple.

There has certainly been "official" counsel, as follows:

"Married persons should understand that if in their marital relations they are guilty of unnatural, impure, or unholy practices, they should not enter the temple unless and until they repent and discontinue any such practices. Husbands and wives who are aware of these requirements can determine by themselves their standing before the Lord."

"All of this should be conveyed without having priesthood leaders focus upon intimate matters which are a part of husband and wife relationships. Skillful interviewing and counseling can occur without discussion of clinical details by placing firm responsibility on individual members of the Church to put their lives in order before exercising the privilege of entering a house of the Lord. The First Presidency has interpreted oral sex as constituting an unnatural, impure, or unholy practice. If a person is engaged in a practice which troubles him enough to ask about it, he should discontinue it" (First Presidency Letter, January 5, 1982).

2. There is no doctrine in the church, official or otherwise, that claims sex between married people is only for procreation. This is someone's fantasy.

I agree. I've never heard anyone say that, either.

3. I clearly remember hearing conference talks and attending firesides as far back as the late seventies in which it was clearly taught that sex has a prime purpose as a sharing of intimacy and bonding between two people in a married relationship.

I've been taught that, as well.

So, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, Cog. ;-)

The letter above was quickly retracted because bishops and SPs were asking specific questions about oral sex and members were none to pleased. However, the counsel of unatural acts remained.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Coggins7 wrote:Very nice. And apparantly so obscure that nobody's ever heard of it or mentioned it since. I'm going to reiterate for you the following: I have never enountered this teaching on oral sex in any manual, any conference report, any Sunday School, gospel doctrine, Institute, or other church oriented teaching activity. I have never heard in taught by a single Bishop or Stake President I have ever known personally, it has never come up in a Priesthood interview with any ecclesiastical leader I have ever known in my lifetime, nor in counseling I've received from Bishops for personal issues.

Now. if it was all that bloody important, this teaching would be all over church manuals, in Conference reports, ensign articles, First Presidency messeges, and the like. It wouldn't have been left to languish on the Internet as an obscure artifact. In 48 years, I've never heard this taught from a single pulpit or any class I've ever attended while a Latter Day Saint.

My Father was a Bishop for ten years, and, after reading his own training manuals thoroughly, found nothing of the kind in those.

I have no explanation for that aspect of that letter, except to say that if it was binding church doctrine, and if the First Presidency expected the Saints to see it as such, the GAs would have made good and sure, as they are perfectly capable of doing, that the teaching received wide dissemination. Further, subsequent First Presidencies would have reiterated it from time to time if it was really important to them. Apparantly, it has not been.

Beyond that, I have nothing more to say on the matter. I don't think it can be resolved to the satisfaction of either eroticism obsessed liberals or ant-Mormons who are hostile to the church regardless of the issue.

Coggins,

You lose on this one. Just admit it. There was a letter stating policy about oral sex being unnatural. Later another letter came out telling leaders not to ask specific questions. If you search, there are numerous quotes by GAs about sex. I agree that nobody teaches that it is just to make babies and indeed many teach it is for more then just that. But, there are also comment frequently about unnatural and un-holy acts, though nobody says anything about it. I recall a quote along these lines from Elder Packer in a recent LDS book about sexuality in marriage and Elder Packer said that we know what he means by unholy and unnatural and he did not need to spell it out. Also, there are quotes by SWK that support the idea that sex in marriage is good and not just for baby making. In fact he taught that divorce among LDS couples is often due to sexual problems and this needed addressing. But he also taught that it is not anything goes behind bedrooms doors.

Doctrine? Nope. Policy? Yea man it was posted right before your eyes. There was a letter. Suck it up. Just because you never heard about it does not mean it was not or is not there. Many here have just as much experience and year LDS as you so stop acting like your time and years and experience mean any more then ours.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

I'd been married a little over 10 years when this letter came out. It was read from our pulpit in sacrament meeting. It caused no end of whispering during that meeting, and no end of discussion after. One person who was really upset was a counselor in my bishopric. He considered it an unwarrented and unwelcome intrusion into his own bedroom. He took his concerns upline.

I remember my bishop being very embarrassed to ask the sex question in my TRI that year. He was quite delicate about it, but it was easy to see he was uncomfortable having to ask. I remember telling him that any issues I had with my intimate relationship would be resolved with the appropriate person... my husband. The next time I had a TRI, the question was no longer asked.

I wonder if Loran ever paid any attention to anything remotely negative about the church? Because I just don't see how he could have missed this one, unless he was inactive or isolated on a desert island that whole year.
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Coggins7 wrote:
1. There is no official doctrine or counsel regarding oral sex in the church. I was never asked about such in any Priesthood interview I've ever had, including those for the Temple.

There has certainly been "official" counsel, as follows:

"Married persons should understand that if in their marital relations they are guilty of unnatural, impure, or unholy practices, they should not enter the temple unless and until they repent and discontinue any such practices. Husbands and wives who are aware of these requirements can determine by themselves their standing before the Lord."

"All of this should be conveyed without having priesthood leaders focus upon intimate matters which are a part of husband and wife relationships. Skillful interviewing and counseling can occur without discussion of clinical details by placing firm responsibility on individual members of the Church to put their lives in order before exercising the privilege of entering a house of the Lord. The First Presidency has interpreted oral sex as constituting an unnatural, impure, or unholy practice. If a person is engaged in a practice which troubles him enough to ask about it, he should discontinue it" (First Presidency Letter, January 5, 1982).

Jason, I've already dealt with this above, and given my two cents. My "official" position on this is as follows: I've never heard this counsel given in all of my 48 years. I've never seen it in a General Conference, First Presidency messsage, Preisthood manual, or other church publication, nor have I ever enountered in in counsel or interviews with the Bishops and SPs I have known. If the GAs subsequent to the administration of Kimball's had been interested in perpetuating this point, they would and easily could have done so. This whole thing is a complete mystery to me. Was that particular tidbit in the letter inspired? Well, perhaps to each his own. I have no further thoghts on the matter because apparantly, no subsequent GAs have either.

Quote:
2. There is no doctrine in the church, official or otherwise, that claims sex between married people is only for procreation. This is someone's fantasy.

I agree. I've never heard anyone say that, either.

Quote:
3. I clearly remember hearing conference talks and attending firesides as far back as the late seventies in which it was clearly taught that sex has a prime purpose as a sharing of intimacy and bonding between two people in a married relationship.

I've been taught that, as well.

So, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, Cog. ;-)

The letter above was quickly retracted because bishops and SPs were asking specific questions about oral sex and members were none to pleased. However, the counsel of unatural acts remained.

And I have no problem with that (and that, at least, in this whole mess, unlike the oral sex fossil, is something I've been well aware of for much of my life). Married couples should approach sex with each other in a manner that is sexually fulfilling for both but yet with the understanding that, in a very real way it is a sacramental emblem of their love for one another and their sexual behavior should relflect this. In other words, BDSM or other bizzare sexual fetishes are out, as would be, I would think, anything degrading or, for that matter, a sense that sexual "performance" takes precedence over the bonding and oneness that are the emotional and psychological constituents of sexual love in marriage.

Coggins7 wrote:
Very nice. And apparantly so obscure that nobody's ever heard of it or mentioned it since. I'm going to reiterate for you the following: I have never enountered this teaching on oral sex in any manual, any conference report, any Sunday School, gospel doctrine, Institute, or other church oriented teaching activity. I have never heard in taught by a single Bishop or Stake President I have ever known personally, it has never come up in a Priesthood interview with any ecclesiastical leader I have ever known in my lifetime, nor in counseling I've received from Bishops for personal issues.

Now. if it was all that bloody important, this teaching would be all over church manuals, in Conference reports, ensign articles, First Presidency messeges, and the like. It wouldn't have been left to languish on the Internet as an obscure artifact. In 48 years, I've never heard this taught from a single pulpit or any class I've ever attended while a Latter Day Saint.

My Father was a Bishop for ten years, and, after reading his own training manuals thoroughly, found nothing of the kind in those.

I have no explanation for that aspect of that letter, except to say that if it was binding church doctrine, and if the First Presidency expected the Saints to see it as such, the GAs would have made good and sure, as they are perfectly capable of doing, that the teaching received wide dissemination. Further, subsequent First Presidencies would have reiterated it from time to time if it was really important to them. Apparantly, it has not been.

Coggins,

You lose on this one. Just admit it. There was a letter stating policy about oral sex being unnatural. Later another letter came out telling leaders not to ask specific questions. If you search, there are numerous quotes by GAs about sex. I agree that nobody teaches that it is just to make babies and indeed many teach it is for more then just that. But, there are also comment frequently about unnatural and un-holy acts, though nobody says anything about it. I recall a quote along these lines from Elder Packer in a recent LDS book about sexuality in marriage and Elder Packer said that we know what he means by unholy and unnatural and he did not need to spell it out. Also, there are quotes by SWK that support the idea that sex in marriage is good and not just for baby making. In fact he taught that divorce among LDS couples is often due to sexual problems and this needed addressing. But he also taught that it is not anything goes behind bedrooms doors.

Doctrine? Nope. Policy? Yea man it was posted right before your eyes. There was a letter. Suck it up. Just because you never heard about it does not mean it was not or is not there. Many here have just as much experience and year LDS as you so stop acting like your time and years and experience mean any more then ours.

I have no idea why you are beating this dead horse in another post. I've already admitted it was policy, and you agree with me that it wasn't' doctrine. Now, on to the next shibboleth.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Coggins7 wrote:Very nice. And apparantly so obscure that nobody's ever heard of it or mentioned it since. I'm going to reiterate for you the following: I have never enountered this teaching on oral sex in any manual, any conference report, any Sunday School, gospel doctrine, Institute, or other church oriented teaching activity. I have never heard in taught by a single Bishop or Stake President I have ever known personally, it has never come up in a Priesthood interview with any ecclesiastical leader I have ever known in my lifetime, nor in counseling I've received from Bishops for personal issues.

Not necessarily. One would think retraction of the ban on interracial marriage would have been "really important to them," and yet it has never been done.
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Why should it be done when its been going on since 1978?

Move on, nothing to see here.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Coggins7 wrote:Why should it be done when its been going on since 1978?

Move on, nothing to see here.

Some points: the ban is based on scriptures and doctrine that are additional to the priesthood ban. BY's infamous speech ("death on the spot") has nothing to do w/ the priesthood. Also, Pres. Mark E. Peterson insisted that the same issue of Church News which announced the lifting of the ban also contain the headline (on the front page!): "Interracial Marriage Strongly Discouraged". Why? Why would this be necessary? Finally, I have already gone the rounds on this topic---with Prof. Peterson, no less. If I defeated him in that debate, I have little reason to think that you would be able to present a better argument than he.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

One thing I never understood: why were Black women not allowed to take out their endowments, prior to 1978? Women hold no priesthood, so that can't be the reason.