The Capriciousness of Banning

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

gramps wrote:
Well, let's do it. But, I think we should probably open up the invitation to some of the "offenders" on that other board, too.

I just checked out the fellowship threads over there. Now, there are some generalizations if I have ever seen any that need some correcting. While I enjoyed reading your threads and a few of the others, someone needs to mention that we aren't all evil like your moderator wants to make it seem. That is really depressing to read some of those. What do you think?

Edited to add: It almost seems scripted, per the message of Beasties' most recent thread opener. No?

Of course, the invitation should extend to all in need of repentance. The ashes aren't a problem, but I think we'll have to make it BYOSC since providing sackcloth could prove costly.(insert smilie here)

Yes, we have problem with overgeneralizations by a few on the other board. When this topic has come up, there are always a handful who apparently can only see faults in the critics, not themselves. As Jesus said, they've got a beam in their eye but all they can see is the mote in their neighbor's eye (I've been working on my Sunday School lesson for tommorrow and it's on Matt. 6-7, can you tell?) People have to recognize their own faults before they are willing to make any kind of changes. Some just are not to that point, maybe in time...

If you ask me, I think both sides should be wary of throwing stones--I think you'll find "offenders" in both camps and on both boards, though I have to say the critics at MADB are a pretty civil lot--they have to be if they want to survive there.

As for Beastie's scripted comment, I don't think I've read it yet--I'll take a look.
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

beastie wrote:Heh, I've never visited the fellowship board before. There are some real gems there, from morningstar, who heavily trolled shade's board when it first opened with innumerable posts about boogers, complaining about the behavior of critics, to sput openly lying, once again, about my statements. Also the complaints about how critics "recycle" arguments that have been answered already. Gee, this is particularly ironic given how I just read Peterson's Book of Mormon evidence article in which he repeated claims that, in my opinion, critics have thoroughly debunked many times.

I have to wonder if, at least in some deep secret part of their brains, people like this realize what a bunch of hypocrites they are.

Also amusing, in a sad sort of way due to my respect for her, is cal telling people to just report offenders. As some of us here can testify, that only works if you're a believer. Just remember Animal Farm, where some are more equal than others.

OTOH, kudos to sargon (hope I remembered his name correctly) for his posts, and our own alter idem for their reasonable posts.

If you haven't looked lately, Orpheus made some comments on one of the critic threads there, discussing the new management at MADB and even asked for our (board members) suggestions on what we'd like to see in the new board.

Another tidbit, he/she mentioned a supposed sockpuppet whom they are watching. My assumption is they believe it's someone here on this board....
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Alter Idem wrote:If you haven't looked lately, Orpheus made some comments on one of the critic threads there, discussing the new management at MADB and even asked for our (board members) suggestions on what we'd like to see in the new board.

Another tidbit, he/she mentioned a supposed sockpuppet whom they are watching. My assumption is they believe it's someone here on this board....

Is it time for another poll, "Who here has a sockpuppet on MAD?"
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Bond...James Bond wrote:Is it time for another poll, "Who here has a sockpuppet on MAD?"

It's not me.
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland