The Capriciousness of Banning

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

Alter Idem wrote:Looking at the list of posters who were banned today, it's strange. I don't remember any of them being real problems for the mods, so I don't think it's that. What I'm wondering is if it has something to do with what was brought up in the Fellowship section at MADB.

A number of posters were commenting on how the board seemed to have become overrun with critics. I was surprised because I had not noticed this at all, but clearly other LDS posters were feeling there were too many. Granted, I don't read all the threads so maybe I missed a lot of what was happening. I suspect the mods don't miss much and maybe they determined the critics were outnumbering believers.

I wonder if some have been complaining to the mods about what they perceived as an uneven playing field, so they culled some. This is the best explanation I can come up with.

Interesting idea. If this were to be the reasoning, I suppose a less draconian measure would have been to limit the number of posts a "critic" had per day (with some notice and maybe an appeal process), rather than to just clear the boards of "offenders." Still can't imagine that I was such a threat - Gromit was my mascot, and he's a kind beast!
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

skippy the dead wrote:Interesting idea. If this were to be the reasoning, I suppose a less draconian measure would have been to limit the number of posts a "critic" had per day (with some notice and maybe an appeal process), rather than to just clear the boards of "offenders."

Funny you should mention that. They tried just that very thing over on the old ZLMB forum, and it backfired mightily. The critics were so disgusted that many of them voted with their feet. The moderators quickly backpedalled and reversed their decision, but Juliann and her crew of harpies (with apologies to Mister Scratch) couldn't bear seeing critics return, so they instigated a mass defection of believers to FAIR.

The place is a ghost town now.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

skippy the dead wrote:
Alter Idem wrote:Looking at the list of posters who were banned today, it's strange. I don't remember any of them being real problems for the mods, so I don't think it's that. What I'm wondering is if it has something to do with what was brought up in the Fellowship section at MADB.

A number of posters were commenting on how the board seemed to have become overrun with critics. I was surprised because I had not noticed this at all, but clearly other LDS posters were feeling there were too many. Granted, I don't read all the threads so maybe I missed a lot of what was happening. I suspect the mods don't miss much and maybe they determined the critics were outnumbering believers.

I wonder if some have been complaining to the mods about what they perceived as an uneven playing field, so they culled some. This is the best explanation I can come up with.

Interesting idea. If this were to be the reasoning, I suppose a less draconian measure would have been to limit the number of posts a "critic" had per day (with some notice and maybe an appeal process), rather than to just clear the boards of "offenders." Still can't imagine that I was such a threat - Gromit was my mascot, and he's a kind beast!

I agree, limiting posts would have been a good way to deal with an overload of critics. Unfortunately, I think the opinion over there is that it doesn't matter if they lose critics, there will always be more to take their place.

From what I saw, I don't think any of you "deserved" banning--however, I supsect the mods are concerned with keeping active LDS and if there were a number of complaints that they were feeling outnumbered, then they may have decided they had to sacrifice a few of you to keep the regular LDS posters happy.

Mind you, I'm only speculating--it just seems from what I observed that this is a pretty good explanation.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Unfortunately, I think the opinion over there is that it doesn't matter if they lose critics, there will always be more to take their place.

That says something very interesting, about the church and about MAD.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Alter Idem wrote:

From what I saw, I don't think any of you "deserved" banning--however, I supsect the mods are concerned with keeping active LDS and if there were a number of complaints that they were feeling outnumbered, then they may have decided they had to sacrifice a few of you to keep the regular LDS posters happy.

They sacrifice anymore and critics are going to be placed on the endangered species list.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Southern Redneck
_Emeritus

Post by _Southern Redneck »

liz3564 wrote:Technically, now that MAD has disassociated itself from FAIR, it's "just another private message board".

The owners of the board are free to ban whoever they choose to for whatever reason they wish. We could do the same thing here if we really wanted to.

I agree. while a sad act for the reasons they did it, it is a private board.
------------------------
Losing an illusion makes you wiser than finding a truth.
Ludwig Borne

http://tomanyquestions.blogspot.com/
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I assume that the participants at MAD are unaware of these bannings unless they have some source of outside information.

I do not think private ownership should by itself abbrogate basic rights. I suppose I am placing greater emphasis on ethical considerations rather than legalities.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

moksha wrote:I assume that the participants at MAD are unaware of these bannings unless they have some source of outside information.

They'll assume we just left the board. They are good at hear no evil, see no evil....
Last edited by QuestionEverything on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

moksha wrote:I assume that the participants at MAD are unaware of these bannings unless they have some source of outside information.

Or unless they happen to come across a prior thread and note the "banned" status on one of the outcasts. As far as I can tell, there weren't any red letters announcing that anybody was given the boot.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

that's the problem. When a field is tilted the one rolling downhill has the easier time. As is the issue with critics vs believers.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew