The Capriciousness of Banning

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Anyway, it all seems so.... Mormon, to me.

This is what my Dad did to me off and on for the last 20 years.

I am quite used to this kind of behavior from Mormons. Especially, the ones who feel they are so much more special than other people.
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

My concern at this moment is for all those other MAD posters who must endure the continuing capriciousness of the MAD moderation. This board could stand as a viable alternative, but I am still concerned about two things:

Profanity and ad hominem attacks on this Board - if they would be relegated to the Telestial forum ASAP, then this board's viability as a more idea friendly board would allow them to migrate easier. Right now, If Liz could keep an eye on both Vegas and Coggins, this would help a great deal. I would never wish to hinder their speech in the appropriate forum that allows for both profanity and insults, but I would like to see these user enticements guarded in this and the Celestial Forum.

My view of the Celestial forum, is that it is reserved for intellectual conversations, whereas this one should be for everyday concerns without posters feeling uncomfortable. I view the Telestial forum as an anything goes kind of place where one is free to indulge their raunchier side.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

Harmony said: "That says something very interesting, about the church and about MAD."

Gramps said: "Anyway, it all seems so.... Mormon, to me.
I am quite used to this kind of behavior from Mormons. Especially, the ones who feel they are so much more special than other people."

Alter Idem: Look, I don't want to be obnoxious, but these are the kind of comments that irk me. We're discussing the bannings at MADB and you two took it as an opportunity to condemn Mormons in general.

I'm sorry you've both had such terrible experiences with Mormons that your perception is so negatively colored by it, but I wish you could realize that you're overgeneralizations are unfair. MADB is not the church. It may be run by people who are LDS, but it's nothing like the LDS church I know and belong to.

I know for some this board is cathartic and for some, they've suffered a lot of pain and they blame it on the church. But, is it really necessary to make camparisons to the church EVERY TIME someone does something bad? Sometimes people are just jerks. It has nothing to do with religious affiliation--it has to do with their character--or lack of it.

Okay, I feel better now. I'm sorry to single out Gramps and Harmony... my frustration has been building as I read some of the broad generalizations made on the board and your two comments were the last straw.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

moksha wrote:My concern at this moment is for all those other MAD posters who must endure the continuing capriciousness of the MAD moderation. This board could stand as a viable alternative, but I am still concerned about two things:

Profanity and ad hominem attacks on this Board - if they would be relegated to the Telestial forum ASAP, then this board's viability as a more idea friendly board would allow them to migrate easier. Right now, If Liz could keep an eye on both Vegas and Coggins, this would help a great deal. I would never wish to hinder their speech in the appropriate forum that allows for both profanity and insults, but I would like to see these user enticements guarded in this and the Celestial Forum.

My view of the Celestial forum, is that it is reserved for intellectual conversations, whereas this one should be for everyday concerns without posters feeling uncomfortable. I view the Telestial forum as an anything goes kind of place where one is free to indulge their raunchier side.

And that's exactly what Shades and I are attempting to do. As busy as the boards have been, sometimes it's not easy to get into every thread, but between the two of us, we give it a good college try! :)

Mok, if you, or anyone else on the board has concerns about a particular post, please PM me or Shades and we'll look at it. Again, be patient. We both have "real world" jobs and responsibilities, but we do try to keep fairly close tabs on the board.

Also...as has been demonstrated...Shades and I will normally err on the side of free speech as opposed to overt censorship.

I think we struck a good balance with the Kathy Worthington Memorial Thread situation. I regret, however, that rampant insults were flying, and there was a huge dramatic mess before I, or Shades, had a chance to view what was happening.

One thing that Shades, Keene, and I do expect, guys, is that you act like adults.

Everyone gets grouchy or tired. I know that every once in a while, someone is going to have a bad day and pop off unnecessarily.

But take some time to READ what you have taken the time to write BEFORE hitting the "Submit" button.

The beauty of a forum like this is that we actually have an opportunity to formulate our thoughts before we present them.

OK...I'm stepping off of my soap box now. ;)
Last edited by _Yoda on Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Good soap box, but all that red type is a bit scary - sort of reminds me of MAD.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

moksha wrote:Good soap box, but all that red type is a bit scary - sort of reminds me of MAD.

DO NOT ARGUE WITH ME. I AM YOUR GOD. YOU ARE BANNED!

Juliann, oh woops, i mean Dunamis.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Sethbag wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:The can do as they please. The whole day I've been laughing at the obsurdity of being banned from an anonymous internet message board. Honestly, it's freaking hilarious to me.

The MAD board is going to get really boring. It's already going in that direction. Threads are dying quickly because there are fewer and fewer critics. People can only take so many back slapping and faith promoting posts. They need someone to play the anti-Christ so they can feel oppressed and feel like one of the elite. That board is going to end up a Fellowship Hall.

One problem is that this board doesn't seem to have all that many TBMs on it, so we laugh at MAD for heading in the direction of a TBM echo chamber, meanwhile we post something critical of the church here and we get Coggins, Gazelam, and Why Me posting, and maybe a couple others, at least from what I've seen. Maybe I'm too much of a newb on this board to know about all the other TBMs. I wonder how interesting it will be for us when we post something critical of the church here, and get almost no meaningful conversation from Defenders of the Faith about it. Then we can backslap each other for being smart enough to have seen through the BS, and.... what?

So is MAD turning into a pro-TBM echo chamber, while MD turns into a mostly pro-Critic echo chamber? I don't know. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

And there you have the peanut in the peanut shell. You said it all seth. And it could happen. This is what happens on critic boards. There is much backslapping in name of support. But in the end, such boards become the exact thing the critics are critical about in the lds church. Backslapping and no open discussion. I call them upside down TBM's, only because they refer to the lds as TBMs.
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Alter Idem wrote:Harmony said: "That says something very interesting, about the church and about MAD."

Gramps said: "Anyway, it all seems so.... Mormon, to me.
I am quite used to this kind of behavior from Mormons. Especially, the ones who feel they are so much more special than other people."

Alter Idem: Look, I don't want to be obnoxious, but these are the kind of comments that irk me. We're discussing the bannings at MADB and you two took it as an opportunity to condemn Mormons in general.

I'm sorry you've both had such terrible experiences with Mormons that your perception is so negatively colored by it, but I wish you could realize that you're overgeneralizations are unfair. MADB is not the church. It may be run by people who are LDS, but it's nothing like the LDS church I know and belong to.

I know for some this board is cathartic and for some, they've suffered a lot of pain and they blame it on the church. But, is it really necessary to make camparisons to the church EVERY TIME someone does something bad? Sometimes people are just jerks. It has nothing to do with religious affiliation--it has to do with their character--or lack of it.

Okay, I feel better now. I'm sorry to single out Gramps and Harmony... my frustration has been building as I read some of the broad generalizations made on the board and your two comments were the last straw.

Sorry, Alter Idem. A bit of hyperbole on my part there. But, in my lifetime I've received so much petty crap from the ones who know the truth, that I went just a tad too far.

By the way, some of my best friends are Mormon. They would have called me on it, as you did. I should have said something a bit more qualified.

Repenting in sack cloth and ashes. Peace.
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

moksha wrote:Good soap box, but all that red type is a bit scary - sort of reminds me of MAD.

OK...I changed the font color to blue so it's less scary for Mok. ;)
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

gramps wrote:Sorry, Alter Idem. A bit of hyperbole on my part there. But, in my lifetime I've received so much petty crap from the ones who know the truth, that I went just a tad too far.

By the way, some of my best friends are Mormon. They would have called me on it, as you did. I should have said something a bit more qualified.

Repenting in sack cloth and ashes. Peace.

Thanks for taking it in the spirit it was intended.

I think we all indulge at times--I know I make way too many generalizations about liberals and democrats, which is just as unfair as lumping all Mormons together. I guess I'll have to get out the sackcloth and ashes and join you.