The role of critics at MAD

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

rcrocket wrote:
beastie wrote:It's hardly crucial to my theory, so you can disregard it if you want. I didn't use it in my more detailed analysis. However, I find it illogical to suggest that Jesus would use a term that would make absolutely no sense to the natives.

Or how about St. Paul and St. Jude quoting mythology as if scripture?

rcrocket

Well, considering that I and others don't believe in the words of St. Paul and St. Jude anymore than we believe in the words of the made-up LDS scriptural prophets, what's your point? The Bible is just as mythological as anything else out there, and appealing to comparisons with the Bible may work on evangelicals, but not on probably most of the critics on this board.
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

rcrocket wrote:
beastie wrote:It's hardly crucial to my theory, so you can disregard it if you want. I didn't use it in my more detailed analysis. However, I find it illogical to suggest that Jesus would use a term that would make absolutely no sense to the natives.

Where? Don't pretend that Jude treats Enoch as Scripture.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

beastie wrote:
It's hardly crucial to my theory, so you can disregard it if you want. I didn't use it in my more detailed analysis. However, I find it illogical to suggest that Jesus would use a term that would make absolutely no sense to the natives.

rcrocket

This is nothing but a distraction. I listed every verse that mentioned horses in the Book of Mormon, and of course that included the Isaiah references. However, I did not include any of those Isaiah references in my analysis of the horse in the Mesoamerican setting of the Book of Mormon.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

Fortigurn wrote:
rcrocket wrote:

Where? Don't pretend that Jude treats Enoch as Scripture.

OK. I won't pretend it. I'll just say it. Jude treats Enoch, specifically 1 Enoch, as scripture. Metzger calls 1 Enoch "legend." Oxford Companion to the Bible, p. 184.

Paul cites Hebrew mythology as fact and scripture at 2 Tim 3:8. The names Jannes & Jambres appear n Greek and Roman literature and Jewish midrash. Paul was probably referring to Pliny's writings in wide circulation at the time.

In His Name,
rcrocket
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

Sethbag wrote:Well, considering that I and others don't believe in the words of St. Paul and St. Jude anymore than we believe in the words of the made-up LDS scriptural prophets, what's your point? The Bible is just as mythological as anything else out there, and appealing to comparisons with the Bible may work on evangelicals, but not on probably most of the critics on this board.

I certainly understand that there are precious few Christians who are denizens of this Board. When I say, "Christian," I mean those who confess Jesus as their Savior and that he died on the cross for them. Nonetheless, I believe that the words of scripture are designed to soften the hard-hearted and can convict the wicked of the Savior's mission. So, I hope that you don't object too much when I rely upon Him who saves us.

In His Name,
rcrocket
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

rcrocket wrote:OK. I won't pretend it. I'll just say it. Jude treats Enoch, specifically 1 Enoch, as scripture.

Where does he say it's Scripture?

Paul cites Hebrew mythology as fact and scripture at 2 Tim 3:8. The names Jannes & Jambres appear n Greek and Roman literature and Jewish midrash. Paul was probably referring to Pliny's writings in wide circulation at the time.

Where does he say it's Scripture?

There's no doubt that these sources are referred to, but where are they referred to as Scripture? You can't even tell me which particular writing Paul is allegedly referring to as 'Scripture' when he uses the names Jannes and Jambres, because he wasn't quoting a particular text.