The role of critics at MAD

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

It's exactly what I am referring to. We do ourselves a great diservice by not taking the hardest questions head on. Given past experience, just because a question gets left unanswered for a while does not mean the LDS Church is suffering in any way.

Ah, now I get you. So what is your opinion of how MAD is currently run, and its stance on vigorously censoring/banning critics?
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Ah, now I get you. So what is your opinion of how MAD is currently run, and its stance on vigorously censoring/banning critics?

They generally do all right though I would agree that there have been at least two or three 'friendly fire' incidents. The rest I don't know enough about to formulate an opinion though judging by the behavior of some on this board, if that same behavior showed itself on the MADB board, I have no problem with such being banned.

I have other disagreements about some subject matter and opinions they won't allow, but it's their board and I can post on those subjects easily enough here or on the other boards I inhabit.

There are those on that board with plenty of capability. I think you should invite them to come out to play. I invite them myself as I find the LDS criticism on this board to be weak. I think we LDS could easily dominate the discussion here and by domination I mean irrefutable argument.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

There are those on that board with plenty of capability. I think you should invite them to come out to play. I invite them myself as I find the LDS criticism on this board to be weak. I think we LDS could easily dominate the discussion here and by domination I mean irrefutable argument.

Now that I would like to see. In fact, I'd just about pay money to see it.

However, I really have given up on serious dialogue with believers. Perhaps you can convince me it's not hopeless.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Why pay money when I am giving you a free show? ;)

However, I really have given up on serious dialogue with believers. Perhaps you can convince me it's not hopeless.

My experience has been that as soon as a critic realizes he is up a creek, he resorts to invective and logical fallacy.

Of course I don't claim to be knowledgable on all subjects, but I do my best.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

beastie wrote:

I've pretty much given up, as well.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

My experience has been that as soon as a critic realizes he is up a creek, he resorts to invective and logical fallacy.

Of course I don't claim to be knowledgable on all subjects, but I do my best.

Funny, that's what believers do as well.

My personal area of interest is the fit of the Book of Mormon in Mesoamerica, if you're interested in taking that on. For starters, here is a link to several lengthy essays I've written on the subject.

http://zarahemlacitylimits.com/wiki/ind ... esoamerica

Of course, my boyfriend is about due at my house, and we're having a big birthday party for my son tomorrow, so I probably won't be posting much the rest of the weekend.

Penn & Teller

_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

My personal area of interest is the fit of the Book of Mormon in Mesoamerica

I am comming up to speed on that though not anywhere near as good as I should be. I am more of a pure scriptorian and fairly well read on early Christian history.

But I noticed this while looking at your article......While 3 Nephi 21:14 is indeed a reference for horses, do you really think that, given the context, it's speaking about horses in the Americas during the time frame that is up for debate?
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

It's hardly crucial to my theory, so you can disregard it if you want. I didn't use it in my more detailed analysis. However, I find it illogical to suggest that Jesus would use a term that would make absolutely no sense to the natives.

Penn & Teller

_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

bcspace wrote: While 3 Nephi 21:14 is indeed a reference for horses, do you really think that, given the context, it's speaking about horses in the Americas during the time frame that is up for debate?

You mean it could have just been a reference to small prehistoric horses? Makes sense. Perhaps there were some archaeological hobbyists among the Nephites. It is a fascinating subject after all.

I would like to go back to BC's statement that the critics should be asking the most rigorous questions of the apologists. Seems like this process is being circumvented at MAD through their moderation policies. What do you think?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

beastie wrote:It's hardly crucial to my theory, so you can disregard it if you want. I didn't use it in my more detailed analysis. However, I find it illogical to suggest that Jesus would use a term that would make absolutely no sense to the natives.

Or how about St. Paul and St. Jude quoting mythology as if scripture?

rcrocket