Is Satan the author of the Global Warming lie?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Is Satan the author of the Global Warming lie?

Post by _The Dude »

Wow! The most frightening and hillarious thing was posted over on MAD. Has anyone heard this kind of thinking from their TBM family and friends?

Avatar4321 wrote:Global warming has been in the news alot lately and hence I've been thinking about it. I know there are tons of politics involved in this topic and I don't want this thread to derail into politics. So if it does I hope the moderators feel completely free to close the thread.

For various reasons, I have always been skeptical of global warming. Especially when the people promoting the theories making as much money as they do off it. I can't help, but be skeptical of it. Even more so because it seems as though it doesn't matter whether the weather gets warmer or colder, global warming is responsible. It seems too convenient for those preaching about it.

Anyway last night I was thinking about it a bit more. As a faithful Latter-day Saint, I know that the Lord has promised that He would warn the people about up and coming catastophies through His living prophet. Yet, I can't help but notice that man-made global warming has never been mentioned by any Prophet or GA as a concern for us.

I know the Lord expects us to use our brains as well. But the people who are worried most about global warming are convince of widespread devestation and destruction because of it. If it were going to cause such global and castostrphic devestation wouldn't our leaders be addressing it in some way? After all they are addressing other man-caused behavior which will definitely cause global devestation such as the break down of the family, lack of love, in the world etc. The Church has never been shy about moral issues that can protect mankind from destruction.

So while I have a multitude of secular reasons to be skeptical of the global warming issue, it seems to me there is also a theological one that is far more convincing to me as a believer.

Am I wrong with the analysis? Can someone believe in man made global warming without coming to the conclusion that if it's true then the Lord is not revealing anything about it to the Prophet to stop it?

Reflecting on it more, I see it little more than a clever distraction from what is actually important in the world, such as our families and responsibilities to God.

Yes, a clever distraction from what's really important: our spiritual dedication to Mormonism.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Wow. That's kinda scary.

Being skeptical of global warming for scientific reasons is one thing. Being skeptical of global warming because the prophet hasn't warned us about it is, like you said, frightening. :o

The topic hasn't really come up in my TBM family, so I'm not sure what their views are. Maybe the fact that it's never talked about tells us something?
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

That certainly is a new one, isn't it? By that logic, it's OK to huff gasoline because the prophet hasn't specifically warned against it.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Re: Is Satan the author of the Global Warming lie?

Post by _skippy the dead »

The Dude wrote:
Avatar4321 wrote:As a faithful Latter-day Saint, I know that the Lord has promised that He would warn the people about up and coming catastophies through His living prophet. Yet, I can't help but notice that man-made global warming has never been mentioned by any Prophet or GA as a concern for us.

This isn't what members are actually believing these days, is it - that the Lord has promised to warn people about catastrophes?

Of course, by this logic, the Lord should have warned the world through his prophet about the 2004 tsunami that killed 300,000. If he did, I must have missed that memo.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Runtu wrote:That certainly is a new one, isn't it? By that logic, it's OK to huff gasoline because the prophet hasn't specifically warned against it.

Indeed, someone needs to read their scriptures:

"And finally, I cannot tell you all the things whereby ye may commit sin; for there are divers ways and means, even so many that I cannot number them. " (Mosiah 4:29).

Furthermore, I don't see how people who promote the environment are going to profit off of it. I do see it working the other way 'round though.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

asbestosman wrote:
Runtu wrote:That certainly is a new one, isn't it? By that logic, it's OK to huff gasoline because the prophet hasn't specifically warned against it.

Indeed, someone needs to read their scriptures:

"And finally, I cannot tell you all the things whereby ye may commit sin; for there are divers ways and means, even so many that I cannot number them. " (Mosiah 4:29).

Furthermore, I don't see how people who promote the environment are going to profit off of it. I do see it working the other way 'round though.

Completely agree. I seem to recall a scripture about how God doesn't want a people who have to be commanded in all things.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Wow! I mean WOW!

I don't even know how to respond to this...

Maybe just maybe the prophet hasn't said anything because Jesus isn't actually speaking to him?

Has it occurred to anyone that if the we destroy the world, no one will much care about the temple ceremony, General Moroni, Kolob, FHE, who is wearing what color shirt, or even how many earrings one has?

As a believer, many years ago, I always thought it strange that in spite of all the evidence that we are indeed hurting our earth, the prophet never spoke out about it....to me it signifies he is out of touch... to believers it signifies there isn't a problem. Ignore all the scientist the world over and assume they don't know what they are talking about because the prophet hasn't spoken up?

This is just plain dangerous thinking!

WOW!

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

asbestosman wrote:Furthermore, I don't see how people who promote the environment are going to profit off of it. I do see it working the other way 'round though.

Right. I thought about asking Avatar to explain what he meant by "...the people promoting the theories making as much money as they do off it." Does he mean Al Gore, or what?

As false as that assertion may be, it pales compared to the rest of the post.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I think this is an important concern, but I suspect my fellow members will seek to downplay or deny global warming because of their conservative values. They believe that one must be unhindered in making a buck as long as it does not involve sex. If the warming continues, they can always ascribe it to the devil.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Runtu wrote:Completely agree. I seem to recall a scripture about how God doesn't want a people who have to be commanded in all things.

Yep, it's scripture mastery (at least when I was in seminary a decade ago).

"26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.
27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;" (D&C 58).

There is also a scripture that warns about wasting flesh when you don't have a need.

The foolishness and selfishness of people with regard to the environment leaves me in despair about the situation. I really don't think anything can be done until market forces actually make it more favorable to protect the environment. Unfortunately I don't think that will ever happen. But maybe some day we will find a clean, source of energy that's cheaper than the current dirty ones. Perhaps the price of gas will become high enough that sufficient improvements will be made in cheaper alternatives.

However, even that won't stop urban sprawl, etc.

in my opinion, we're doomed and it'll end in nuclear holocaust. I don't want it to happen that way and I'll do what I can to be responsible, but ultimately I think it will usher in the second coming. Inciting the world to war to make Armageddon happen (or not doing your part to try preventing war) seems like a very wicked deed from my perspective.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO