Is Satan the author of the Global Warming lie?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_SatanWasSetUp
_Emeritus

Post by _SatanWasSetUp »

asbestosman wrote:
guy sajer wrote:I recently finished the book “Collapse” by Jared Diamond. This book opened my eyes to the importance of environmental stewardship. I found that many of my preconceptions were wrong. I will never look at environmental issues the same again. I wholeheartedly recommend this book to all of you.

Sounds interesting. Would you share a brief summary of some of the things you got from "Collapse"?

As for myself, I'm not sure either way about global warming, but I am fairly certain that we should be doing better with regards to efficient use of resources. What worries me is that the time will come when oil will not be a cheap source of energy. The time may come when fresh water is hard to find.

Exactly. What I don't understand about the Rush Limbaugh conservatives is why they find it so inconvenient to take care of the environment. Weren't any of them Boy Scouts? Didn't their parents teach them not to litter? Whether global warming is caused by humans or not, what's the harm in taking care of our envoronment?
"We of this Church do not rely on any man-made statement concerning the nature of Deity. Our knowledge comes directly from the personal experience of Joseph Smith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"It's wrong to criticize leaders of the Mormon Church even if the criticism is true." - Dallin H. Oaks
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

SatanWasSetUp wrote:Whether global warming is caused by humans or not, what's the harm in taking care of our envoronment?

According to some people here, being environmentally consciencous is really just the sin of idolatry. Ironic considering that I thought worshiping wealth was preached against more heavily in modern times. Last I checked I didn't pray to nature or think that it's better for humans to die than insects. Last I checked I was a part of nature, and I do not worship myself. But then what do I know?
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Vici
_Emeritus

Post by _Vici »

I quit the Mormon religion years ago. I'm a liberal, an environmentalist, and I engage in oral sex with my spouse. ;)

But I think human-caused climate change is the biggest hoax perpetrated on humans since the age of enlightenment began to pry open the eyelids of western civilization. And I also think that it is going to implode before long. More and more reputable scientists are becoming willing to be branded "heretics" for taking a stand against the myth. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a rebound effect in the coming decade, where it will suddenly become more "fashionable" to be a "rebel" against the GW juggernaut than to permit oneself to get caught up in the hype.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

Vici wrote:I quit the Mormon religion years ago. I'm a liberal, an environmentalist, and I engage in oral sex with my spouse. ;)

But I think human-caused climate change is the biggest hoax perpetrated on humans since the age of enlightenment began to pry open the eyelids of western civilization. And I also think that it is going to implode before long. More and more reputable scientists are becoming willing to be branded "heretics" for taking a stand against the myth. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a rebound effect in the coming decade, where it will suddenly become more "fashionable" to be a "rebel" against the GW juggernaut than to permit oneself to get caught up in the hype.

On what basis? What is your training?? As long as most serious earth scientists agree on the reality of climate change on the role of human beings, it is irrational for a nonexpert to just decide it is a hoax. Hey maybe evolution and the germ theory of disease are hoaxes too! They have desenters too for pete sake.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Tarski wrote:On what basis? What is your training?? As long as most serious earth scientists agree on the reality of climate change on the role of human beings, it is irrational for a nonexpert to just decide it is a hoax. Hey maybe evolution and the germ theory of disease are hoaxes too! They have desenters too for pete sake.

Don't pay attention to Vici - she/he's some apologist/TBM from FAIR/MAD.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Vici
_Emeritus

Post by _Vici »

On what basis? What is your training?? As long as most serious earth scientists agree on the reality of climate change on the role of human beings, it is irrational for a nonexpert to just decide it is a hoax. Hey maybe evolution and the germ theory of disease are hoaxes too! They have desenters too for pete sake.

How predictable! And hilarious. The implication being, of course, that someone who disbelieves climate change is also a new-earther, disease-is-caused-by-demons, Noah's ark-searching loonie.

I am? Does my mother know yet? ‘Cause she would think the end of the world had come, hell had frozen over, and that prayers ARE answered.

Or is this just a backhanded way of calling someone a heretic for not worshiping at the altar of the global warming enthusiasts?
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Vici wrote:

How predictable! And hilarious. The implication being, of course, that someone who disbelieves climate change is also a new-earther, disease-is-caused-by-demons, Noah's ark-searching loonie.

I am? Does my mother know yet? ‘Cause she would think the end of the world had come, hell had frozen over, and that prayers ARE answered.

Or is this just a backhanded way of calling someone a heretic for not worshiping at the altar of the global warming enthusiasts?

Hey, Vici---by any chance have you managed to dig up any more gossip about Will Schryver?
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Vici wrote:
I quit the Mormon religion years ago. I'm a liberal, an environmentalist, and I engage in oral sex with my spouse. ;)

Kudos to Vici, she's (he's) got it exactly right. Too bad Fort and the others here (Scratch actually asked me an intelligent question on the subject) don't really want to discuss the evidence on its merits, but would rather engage in the usual ad hominem circumstantial agruments regarding "big oil" and "rebid right wingers" somehow having something to do with the merits of the evidence per se.

Indeed, nobody here, including our new intellectual poseur Fort, who would rather play at being an "intellectual" than wade into the meat and potatoes of the evidence, has as yet even attempted a point for point analysis of the scientific evidence for AGW so that a point/counterpoint debate can even begin.

As to the response to vici:

On what basis? What is your training??

Irrelevant, unless we're discussing highly arcane techinical concepts. The descriptinve understanding of AGW is accessible to anyone with average intelligence.

As long as most serious earth scientists agree on the reality of climate change on the role of human beings, it is irrational for a nonexpert to just decide it is a hoax

This is a flat footed falsehood. Shall we now enter into a discussion of "rabid left wing propaganda", because that is exactly what this is. There is no possible chance of supporting this claim within the professional literature. Most earth scientists do indeed believe the climate is changing (and the pointing of this out by the author of this response demonstrates how little that person actually knows about the subject), and most are of the opinion that humans may have something to do with it. This of course, means absulutely nothing at face value, as scientists making vastly speculative guesses about the causes of things within unimaginably complex physical systems in lieu of substantive empirical evidence may be no better that that of non-sciientists. Further, the professional literature is full of uncertainly about the cause of AGW as well as numerous proposals for completely natural causes. Those who are skeptical of AGW are still a minority (but not for long, I think) but are as competant as those who believe in it and many are eminant in the filed of climate science and related fields.

The attempt to equate sketicism about AGW, which at best is based on nothing more than the barest threads of circumstantial evidence, is easily refuted with counter evidence from measurements and observations in nature and at worst almost completely founded upon computer climate models, which, it needs to be said, aren't evidence of anything actually going on in nature, with holocaust denial or knowledge or germs as vetors of human disease is itself more than adaquate demonstration of the hysterical and desperate nature of both the need to believe and the need to preserve belief in AGW.

Vici is also correct about the coming backlash, although I think its on its way sooner than she anticipates. A couple more years of the Gestapo mentality among ideologues both within and without the scientific establsihment, in the media, and the continuing corruption of the science of Climatology by government money, where we now have perople calling for serious skeptics of AGW to be ostracized from the sceintific community, considered as being guilty of actionable crimes against humanity, and of being shills for "big oil" , while the hubris enveloped ideological fanatics at the well heeled and vetted environmental lobbies and foundations are to be considered morally and intellectually pure as driven snow, and the backlash will be in full swing.

This is coming one way or another in any case, driven by the plain dearth of empirical evidence for the theory. The GCMs have pretty much worn out their welcome, as people are realizing they were never meant to by anything other than mental excercises, not serious predictive models of reality.

As to Fort, I've been studying this issue for upwards of 15 years now, and after looking at the evidence on both sides of the issue, with a primary focus on the empirics of the subject, the overwhelming predonderence of the evidence suggests that AGW is nonesense, no different from the global cooling scam of just 30 years ago, promoted by many of the same peopel and groups with the same agenda. AGW is a political tool of cultural struggle grounded in ideology, not science.

If you'd actually like to discuss, point for point, the evidence, go ahead. I'd like to see you make the attempt.
Last edited by Dr. Sunstoned on Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Oh, and the people here who actually believe in AGW because it suits their own ideological fancies, should actually do some in depth study of the issue, using as a starting points the substantial peer reviewed analysis and reportage available at some of the links I provided, as opposed to regurgitatin Al Gore, Sierra Club, and CNN talking points.

But, then, that would involve long term, serious reading and study wouldn't it. How quaint.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Loran---

You still haven't addressed my question. Do you object to global warming "alarmism" because you think it is a flat-out "hoax"? Or merely because it is aligned with the Left? After all, as you point out, scientists are not in agreement on a number of points, so thus, doesn't it seem a bit over-the-top to label this "alarmism" a "hoax"? Couldn't it equally be described as "healthy caution" or "preventative measures"?