Science VS Religion

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Science VS Religion

Post by _Mephitus »

Saw this and HAD to repost. Enjoy!
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

I've always considered science to be the friend of religion, at least as far as the LDS Church is concerned. What many believers do unfortunately, is confuse nonscience presented as science with actual science.
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

So.....anything that works in religions favor is true...and anything not is false, or otherwise non-science?
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

So.....anything that works in religions favor is true...and anything not is false, or otherwise non-science?

Religion in general? That may be true.

The LDS Church? Science and religious truth will meet and end up being the same thing as the LDS Church embraces all scientific truth.
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Re: Science VS Religion

Post by _Fortigurn »

Sono_hito wrote:Saw this and HAD to repost. Enjoy!

It's witty, but not representative of real life. Only certain religions fit in the category to the right. You can't throw all religions into that category. The Christian religion, for example, has enjoyed a longstanding positive relationship with science, despite a subculture of resistance to the implications of scientific discovery.
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

There's also a process error in the diagram on the left. It makes no provision for a theory to be falsified by new evidence. It should branch at the point where it says 'Revolution!' (a vague term), and provide the opportunity for the theory to be falsified by the new evidence, or remain unaffected by the new evidence despite the fact that it cannot explain the new evidence.

Newtonian physics was not able to explain the new evidence provided at the quantum level, but it was not falsified. The three laws of motion remain true, and E still equals MC^2. I would replace 'Revolution!' with 'Is the theory falsified by the new evidence?', and indicate the result of a positive or negative answer.
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

bcspace wrote:

The LDS Church? Science and religious truth will meet and end up being the same thing as the LDS Church embraces all scientific truth.

Do you really think so?

As the DNA evidence stands today, we have eve and adam living about 30,000 years apart and a long time before the biblical adam and eve show up on the scene.

How will that ever meet and end up being the same thing?
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

gramps wrote:
bcspace wrote:

Do you really think so?

As the DNA evidence stands today, we have eve and adam living about 30,000 years apart and a long time before the biblical adam and eve show up on the scene.

A long time before one interpretation of the Biblical Adam and Eve show up on the scene.
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Fortigurn wrote:
gramps wrote:
bcspace wrote:

Do you really think so?

A long time before one interpretation of the Biblical Adam and Eve show up on the scene.

Yes, point well-taken. However, for Mormons, I think they have to first take Adam and Eve as the literal parents of all the humans on this planet at this time. They also believe that Adam and Eve existed in North America, even Missouri, for that matter.

What is your interpretation of Adam and Eve, Fortigurn? I know you are a Christian. I would be very interested. Were they real people, living together in a state of bliss before the Fall? Are they the (physical) parents of the whole human race, literally?

Being a christian, where does your faith conflict with today's science, if at all?
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

i lol'ed when i first heard about where Joseph Smith prophecied where adam and eve where created. and likewise the location of the garden of eden.