The Dude is suspended from MAD. Is this "goading"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_It occurs to me . . .
_Emeritus

The Dude is suspended from MAD. Is this "goading"

Post by _It occurs to me . . . »

I don't know if it's appropriate for me to bring this up, but I was enjoying the thread http://www.mormonapologetics.org/index. ... opic=22510 on MAD that D. Peterson started about a review of Dawkins' The God Delusion, The Dude asked if Dr. Peterson had read the book himself:
Daniel, have you read The God Delusion? Yes/No.

If yes, then we will likely have an interesting and potentially useful discussion.

For which he was immediately suspended:
Goad posters on another board. Two days and two ignored warnings and you are suspended. ~ Mods

I'm just having a hard time figuring out how this is "goading". It sounds like a logical request for information. It is pretty difficult to discuss a book, or even a review of a book if one of you haven't read it. This seems like a reasonable question to which a suspension is a huge over reaction.

By the way, how do you put in a link here? Haven't quite figured it out yet. Color me green!!
Last edited by NoCoolNameTom on Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Be careful or you'll be next it occurs to me... and your suspension will contain the words "take it to another board".

The easiest way to add a link is to copy the address and paste it into the message. You can also highlight the address and click the "URL" button in the reply window.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_It occurs to me . . .
_Emeritus

Bond...James Bond wrote:Be careful or you'll be next it occurs to me... and your suspension will contain the words "take it to another board".

The easiest way to add a link is to copy the address and paste it into the message. You can also highlight the address and click the "URL" button in the reply window.

I know how to paste the link in, but I can't figure out how to change the link into one of the words in my message (is there a technical term for that?)

As far as being next to go, HEY, I like living on the edge:)
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

It occurs to me . . . wrote:
I know how to paste the link in, but I can't figure out how to change into one of the words in my message (is there a technical term for that?)

As far as being next to go, HEY, I like living on the edge:)

I guess the word would be hyperlink. We're too lazy to do much of that stuff here though. Just throw the link up and we'll live with it :)
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

This week on the soap opera that is "As Kolob Turns..."

Apparently DCP thought he was being goaded...check out this response:

Krispy Kreme King wrote:I haven't read it yet, but I've read other things by Dawkins and I have a copy of it.

And, anyway, I'm not sticking around for a discussion here. Not interested. I simply wanted to call attention to Plantinga's review. (As I said on 14 February 2007, "from here on out, I'll limit my participation on this board to occasionally announcing publications that I think people ought to know about.")

So I fail your test (for the nonce, at least), but your test is both moot and irrelevant.

Still, since we're barking out demands for yes/no answers, I might as well bark one out to you: Have you read Plantinga's three volumes on epistemological warrant? Yes or no! Now!

My bet is that ole DCP ran to Mommy and Daddy and said "get that nasty Dude off my back for a few days".

------------------------

As to the this suspension incident, I think it's definitely making a mountain range out of the first specks of dirt in an ant hill. The Mods should realize that The Dude isn't the run-of-the-mill critic (such as myself) and his long presence on the MAD board should earn him a little leeway. Sadly it appears that the thumbscrews are being used equally, and The Dude is just a little too much of a maverick (a definite plus in my book) for this new style of board they're trying to create.

It would be a great loss to them if they ban him or he leaves, but then again they believe the Book of Mormon is history, so I don't have much faith in their critical thinking skills. Hopefully they realize that he's an excellent critic and ostrocizing (spelling? I don't care at this time of the morning) him is not in the best interest of MAD.

--------------------------

The fun continues:

Orpheus wrote:My guess is that Mr. Dude and you had a bad day yesterday and it didn't take much more blazing past mod warnings to get a reaction. Maybe that was the point but who knows and there are other boards if demanding respect for our LDS posters is too overwheleming. You can bet your britches that certain posters will get the respect that we expect for all our LDS posters no matter how "mild" the unnecesary goads are. What do we have to do to make that more plain?

Notice the use of "there are other boards". Obviously this is nicespeak for "get thyself to another board apostate".
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Re: The Dude is suspended from MAD. Is this "goading&a

Post by _The Dude »

When I try to log in it says I'm suspended until Mar 16 at 11:50-something PM. So that's one week.

Goad posters on another board. Two days and two ignored warnings and you are suspended. ~ Mods

It's hard to tell what this murky moderator is trying to say. Maybe another mod will come along and rewrite it for him/her.

It says "Two days and two ignored warnings"... hey, at least I get some warnings. I saw the warning in that particular thread about "ad hominens" in Dr. Peterson's thread, but nothing else in the last two days.

Anyone else see anything? I noticed the lovely "Global Warming" thread was heavily edited this morning. I'm guessing the first warning was taken down before I even saw it. I noticed that one of my posts in that thread was gone.

But I didn't see no first warning.
_Bryan Inks
_Emeritus

Post by _Bryan Inks »

To hyperlink a url using the BBCode you will need to do the following. *Make Sure that BBCode is enabled in your profile*

[url=http://www.webaddress.com]Word or Words you want linked[/url]

I always add a single color and an underline so that people know that it is a link (pretty common courtesy for those that spend lots of time on the web).

This would look like: [url=http://www.webaddress.com][color=red][u]Word[/u][/color][/url]

I always use red, but you could insert any of the base color words in there.

Hope it helps.
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

I'm just having a hard time figuring out how this is "goading".

Come on.

Does this really surprise anyone here?

When Dan walks into the forum MAD becomes something like the twilight zone where insults are defined as anything that could possibly be understood as a challenge to Dan. Mods act preemptively so Dan doesn't have to risk embarrassing himself. And to be sure, it is an embarrassment to speak negatively about a book you haven't even read. How many times do LDS apologists criticize others for criticizng LDS books they haven't read, especially the Book of Mormon? He pulled this stunt on me in the past , making his snide remark before hearing my response, by saying, "Have you read (some book on Islam)? Probably not." So virtually anything you say to Dan that doesn't follow a huge waving white flag that says, "I would never dare intentionally offend you oh mighty one," will be monitored with suspicion by the mods.

On the other hand, is Dan spits in your face and you do not immediately respond with "thank you sir may I have another?" the mods will view this as disrespecting a "world-renown" scholar.

They really do lay the red carpet out for this guy.

Dan insists he never requests this royal treatment, but we'd be foolish to think he doesn't see it and that he actually loves it. You have to either love it or hate it, and if he hated it he would have told the mods by now to ease up with the royal treatment.
_It occurs to me . . .
_Emeritus

Bryan Inks wrote:To hyperlink a url using the BBCode you will need to do the following. *Make Sure that BBCode is enabled in your profile*

Word or Words you want linked

I always add a single color and an underline so that people know that it is a link (pretty common courtesy for those that spend lots of time on the web).

This would look like: Word

Hope it helps.

Hey, thanks! I edited my OP as per your instructions. Now, all I have to do is remember how to do it :)

. . . . . nevermind . . .my link doesn't seem to be working. Not quite sure why. Here's the link I posted:

http://www.mormonapologetics.org/index. ... opic=22510
_Bryan Inks
_Emeritus

Post by _Bryan Inks »

It occurs to me . . . wrote:
Bryan Inks wrote:To hyperlink a url using the BBCode you will need to do the following. *Make Sure that BBCode is enabled in your profile*

Word or Words you want linked

This would look like: Word

Hope it helps.

Hey, thanks! I edited my OP as per your instructions. Now, all I have to do is remember how to do it :)

. . . . . nevermind . . .my link doesn't seem to be working. Not quite sure why. Here's the link I posted:

http://www.mormonapologetics.org/index. ... opic=22510

Part of the problem with linking to MA&D is that they have a redirect/some other techno wizardry that doesn't allow links clicked from this site to their's to function.

The hyperlinking that I showed you would probably be best used for sources, search results or if you are feeling particularly ventursome, links to scriptural verses.