I'm not demanding respect; just asking for social civility

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

That is certainly one self-complimentary way of explaining the disparity.

However, I tend to think it has more to do with the lack of significant personalities and meaningful and enlightening conversation over here. I mean, I would think it would get quite boring after a while for MA&D participants to keep saying: "Gee...look what those guys as MD are saying about us!"

And, if they were all that interested in the participants and topics here, I would think they would engage them here rather than through the MA&D board. But they don't--and I think that is, in part, because there are participants here that they find repelling (perhjaps myself included), and would just as soon not associate with, and may even be glad to be away from, let alone talk about them over there, or at least not too often.

Of course your explanation was quite objective and far less self-serving. ;)

So, Wade, ZLMB certainly had plenty of interesting personalities and worthwhile conversation, and yet the believers still chose to flee to the safety of FAIR.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

beastie wrote:
That is certainly one self-complimentary way of explaining the disparity.

However, I tend to think it has more to do with the lack of significant personalities and meaningful and enlightening conversation over here. I mean, I would think it would get quite boring after a while for MA&D participants to keep saying: "Gee...look what those guys as MD are saying about us!"

And, if they were all that interested in the participants and topics here, I would think they would engage them here rather than through the MA&D board. But they don't--and I think that is, in part, because there are participants here that they find repelling (perhjaps myself included), and would just as soon not associate with, and may even be glad to be away from, let alone talk about them over there, or at least not too often.

Of course your explanation was quite objective and far less self-serving. ;)

I am not sure about objective, but I don't see how what I said could be viewed as self-serving since I am far more identified as a participant here than there, and I also included myself as a reason those at MA&D may not wish to participate here. But, I am sure you will find a way to view it differently. ;-)

So, Wade, ZLMB certainly had plenty of interesting personalities and worthwhile conversation, and yet the believers still chose to flee to the safety of FAIR.

Again, I saw the migration differently. I saw it as various interesting personalities and worthwile conversations fleeing the ZLMB board along with other believers and non-believers for less repelling and seemingly more efficacious cyber-marketplaces of ideas. And, as may be expected, some of the repelling and counter-efficacious elements later followed the migration, but for various reasons (likely having something to do with their repulsion and counter-efficacy, not the least of which entails a seeming inability to adequately recognize and change their repelling behavior, but dysfunctionally shifting the blame for their alienation entirely to others) they ended up here and at other boards of obsessive discontent, and have been reduced to conversing remotely about the objects of their obsession. This, in many ways, applies as much to me as others here. ;-(

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I'm curious about the "repelling" aspects of ZLMB. What were they?
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

beastie wrote:I'm curious about the "repelling" aspects of ZLMB. What were they?

I wonder if those of us who have been banned from MADB qualify as the "repelling" aspects. Just wondering.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Wade wrote:they ended up here and at other boards of obsessive discontent, and have been reduced to conversing remotely about the objects of their obsession.

Hmmm....I was banned from FAIR, and I don't feel like I'm "reduced" to conversing here. Does anyone who was banned from FAIR/MAD feel that way?

As far as FAIR/MAD being an obsession....For me, I can honestly say it's not. At least not anymore. There was a period where I was angry and hurt because of how I was treated. But, to be honest, it's been about two weeks since I even bothered to read MAD.

I do find Scrath's findings amusing, and sometimes I'll pop over and see what he's talking about. Most of the time, I just go by what I read here.

If Juliann apologized tomorrow, and asked me to return to MAD and be a Mod again, I would accept the apology, but respectfully decline the offer.

I don't like the politics that occurs on the board. I never did. I thought I could make a difference by being in a leadership role there. I was obviously wrong.

The people here are much more "real", down to earth, and actually have a sense of humor! I wouldn't trade the friends I have made here for anything. :) (and, yes, Wade, that includes you! LOL)