I'm not demanding respect; just asking for social civility

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Alter Idem wrote:
twinkie wrote:When you say "vulgarity," do you mean only vulgar words? I have to admit I sometimes confuse Terrestrial and Telestial.

In answer to your question Twinkie, Bryan has graciously supplied me with an example of vulgarity;

Bryan quote: "Gaz, go fornicate yourself with an iron-spiked stick."

If it was vulgar, why repeat it?
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

Lucretia MacEvil wrote:I never use the f word and I dislike it intensely.

However, Bryan makes intelligent posts and anyone who decides to disregard everything he says simply because of a couple of f words because of their "sensitivities" is only doing themselves a disservice. The f word isn't going to go away in any of our lifetimes. Deal with it.

Lucretia, I AM dealing with it. You just don't happen to agree with me. I saw the Fword used in the Terrestrial forum, I assumed it was not allowed and I spoke up. That is my right and I would rather not be told to go sit in a corner and shut up just because others are fine with it.

I never said I would disregard everything he says, you are over-generalizing my comments. I said I did not read much of what he wrote on the Martha Brotherton thread after I got side-tracked by the Fbombs (I did skim it, if that makes you feel better). I will though, wade cautiously into his posts in the future. If what he writes interests me, I'll read it--otherwise, I'll skip it. Everyone has a bad day and maybe I caught him on one of his.
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

Runtu wrote:
Alter Idem wrote:
twinkie wrote:When you say "vulgarity," do you mean only vulgar words? I have to admit I sometimes confuse Terrestrial and Telestial.

In answer to your question Twinkie, Bryan has graciously supplied me with an example of vulgarity;

If it was vulgar, why repeat it?

You're right, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have repeated it. It did not help the discussion and I easily could have just referred her to the post rather than using the quote.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Alter Idem wrote:You're right, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have repeated it. It did not help the discussion and I easily could have just referred her to the post rather than using the quote.

Don't worry about it. I've learned that we're all sensitive about different things. I tend to just ignore people who don't care about my expectations for civil discourse.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

(Moderator Note) Alter Idem and any others who are concerned about language:

Dr. Shades and I do our best to comb the threads in the Terrestrial and Celestial Forums. However, if you notice what you believe to be a language violation, please PM one of us, and we will have a look at it.

As a rule, "F*** and "Sh** are not allowed in the Terrestrial forum. However, at times, when someone is passionate about a topic, it is easy for one of these words to slip into the post for dramatic effect. In those cases, Shades and I normally opt to simply edit the language rather than deleting the entire post or splitting the topic.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

liz3564 wrote:(Moderator Note) Alter Idem and any others who are concerned about language:

Dr. Shades and I do our best to comb the threads in the Terrestrial and Celestial Forums. However, if you notice what you believe to be a language violation, please PM one of us, and we will have a look at it.

As a rule, "F*** and "Sh** are not allowed in the Terrestrial forum. However, at times, when someone is passionate about a topic, it is easy for one of these words to slip into the post for dramatic effect. In those cases, Shades and I normally opt to simply edit the language rather than deleting the entire post or splitting the topic.

Of course, the alternative is to go to another board and cluck self-righteously about how awful this place is.
Runtu's Rincón

_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Runtu wrote:
liz3564 wrote:(Moderator Note) Alter Idem and any others who are concerned about language:

Of course, the alternative is to go to another board and cluck self-righteously about how awful this place is.

Yes, and what is so deliciously ironic about this is that some of their own---urroner and MorningStar, for example---are extremely vulgar themselves. As Dr. Shades recently pointed out, MorningStar, using a sockpuppet, was responsible for some of the most scatological and puerile posts this board (or its previous incarnation) have ever seen.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Alter Idem wrote:
twinkie wrote:In answer to your question Twinkie, Bryan has graciously supplied me with an example of vulgarity;

This is clearly wrong and Bryan should be sent to his room.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

moksha wrote:
Alter Idem wrote:
twinkie wrote:In answer to your question Twinkie, Bryan has graciously supplied me with an example of vulgarity;

This is clearly wrong and Bryan should be sent to his room.

"And then....she sent me to my room, which is where I wanted to go in the first place!" Bill Cosby, "Bill Cosby: Himself", 1983.

:)
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Mister Scratch wrote:Yes, and what is so deliciously ironic about this is that some of their own---urroner and MorningStar, for example---are extremely vulgar themselves. As Dr. Shades recently pointed out, MorningStar, using a sockpuppet, was responsible for some of the most scatological and puerile posts this board (or its previous incarnation) have ever seen.

As I mentioned, I used to post on an American Idol-related board (at MorningStar's request) to combat a couple of rather vicious EV critics of Mormonism. The odd thing was that MorningStar had a sockpuppet over there, which she used to post about bodily excretions and other vulgarities. It was kind of odd, to say the least. Sounds like she was doing the same thing here.
Runtu's Rincón