Joseph Smith believed all sects were false

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_marg

Post by _marg »

Q: Are you suggesting to me, that you don't appreciate any ideas in the Book of Mormon as absurd..magical thinking sort of stuff?

Certainly from a secular stand point there are absurdities in the Book of Mormon. The journey of the Jardites seems hard to account for. The journey by Lehi's family seems more plausible. The account of there being light for a day and a nigh and a day can only be attributed to the miraculous and is not explainable to me. I guess I would have to say there are no more absurdities in the Book of Mormon then there are in the Bible. Well, the Bible does have some grounding in historical fact and places in the Bible we know existed. The Book of Mormon has scant evidence for it being a true historical record and an account of real people. Both books must be taken ultimately on faith to be believed.

Yes the Bible is also filled with magical thinking.
I get the impression from your response that you think of the Bible as a bench-mark. So if God exists in the Bible, God must be true. If a man Jesus, can come back from the dead as per the Bible, it must be true.
By magical thinking I’m referring to things which happen which appear to defy the physical laws of nature. God as an entity which communicates and interacts with man is magical thinking, Jesus’s resurrection is magical thinking, Jesus appearing in America, is magical thinking. Anything at all which defies what we rationally appreciate to be within the physical laws of nature and can not be explained in any comprehensible naturalistic way is magical thinking.

If we see a magic trick and it appears to defies physical laws and we can not figure out how it is done, to assume the magician has supernatural powers and that’s how he/she accomplished the trick is magical thinking.

This is why Jason it’s difficult for us to discuss J.Smith's character, the Book of Mormon, the D& C rationally. You have some irrational thinking which you don’t appreciate is irrational.
You haven’t given up magical thinking. This is one of the reasons you are unable to appreciate the Book of Mormon is a hoax. You are looking at it from the perspective that it’s true, not from a skeptical rational perspective.

Your last line is quite telling, “Both books must be taken ultimately on faith to be believed.” In otherwords you are telling me you believe the Book of Mormon to be true despite lack of evidence, despite it requiring magical thinking to do so. That is an irrational approach, which you see no problem with. What you call “secular thinking” is the rational approach.

Q: Do you think J. Smith was a sincere con man with his night time head in the hat treasure seeking activity. By that I mean to you think he truly believed he had the capability of finding treasure underground by the manner he employed?

I think it is probable that he did believe he had some ability to do this. I do not know this for certain.

So you do think he was sincere, that he thought he could actually could find buried treasures with the seer stone in a hat prop.

Well then you don’t acknowledge a hoax, being played upon marks. You do not view J. smith as a con artist.

I could agree Jason that initially someone might believe they have special powers, but overtime, when for example treasures don't turn up, one would catch on, that those powers don’t exist. The brain recognizes and forms conclusions based on repeated observable patterns. Is there any evidence that Smith was actually successful in these endeavours? Why do you think he was charged and taken to court over it?

Q: How long did J. Smith conduct this night time treasure seeking activity for?

Off the top of my head probably for 5-8 year off and on.

In that case don't you think he had ample opportunaty to test his magical abilities? The reason length of time is also important is because it shows J. Smith’s ability to successfully keep to a con over long periods of time, without admitting to it. Of course, you don’t appreciate it was all a con on his part. So of course, you are going to interpret information entirely different to me. You are going to take Smith at his word. If he says something in the D & C, you are going to interpret it as being true, rather than all part of a manipulative skillfully played out con.

Q: Do you think his family and friends didn't appreciate it was a con?

I think his father and his friends believed it. He had partners in this activity in the Palmyra vicinity that believed he and another young women, I forget her name, had abilities. In fact when he allegedly had the plates for the Book of Mormon locals believed he had them because the came after them a number of times. Some of them believed that they had a right in a share of the plated because they were partner in the treasure seeking activity.

It is understandable that J. Smith's claims to finding gold plates, would be believed and accomplice treasure seekers would feel they had a right to a share in the profit. The story put out by Smith and family that they were hounded for these plates is contradicted by P. Tucker who says there really wasn’t much interest in the plates in the town. If you want I could find and quote Tucker on this but I don’t think you’d be interested or believe him.

Q. Do you think there might have been some other benefit besides payment from his marks for this treasure seeking activity?

Prestige, fame, etc all could have been benefits.

P. Tucker mentions that meat..was an incentive for night time treasure seeking. Yup meat. Desert_vulture mentioned this in his post above. Smith would claim a lamb needed to be slaughtered and the blood sprinkled around where they dug. After the meat was taken home for consumption. In addition farms would be missing live stock and it was suspected that the night time treasure seekers were the culprits. So perhaps it wasn’t just buried treasure which motivated these men in their treasure seeking activity. Why does one need to search at night?

Q. Did Smith ever come clean about this activity being a con..if so to whom?

The only account I know of is the admission to his Father in Law. In his official history he denies treasure seeking activity but for his employment by the Knight family.

I believe there were some others, Peter Ingersol I think. I believe Smith gave a statement in court as well owning up to it being a con. There are a few others that I’ve read but off the top of my head, I don’t remember the names. It seems to me that it is established fact that Smith conducted these night time treasure seeking trips with some other men. If Smith denied it, it suggest Smith had no problem lying.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Certainly from a secular stand point there are absurdities in the Book of Mormon. The journey of the Jardites seems hard to account for. The journey by Lehi's family seems more plausible. The account of there being light for a day and a nigh and a day can only be attributed to the miraculous and is not explainable to me. I guess I would have to say there are no more absurdities in the Book of Mormon then there are in the Bible. Well, the Bible does have some grounding in historical fact and places in the Bible we know existed. The Book of Mormon has scant evidence for it being a true historical record and an account of real people. Both books must be taken ultimately on faith to be believed.

Yes the Bible is also filled with magical thinking.

Yes.

I get the impression from your response that you think of the Bible as a bench-mark.

No that is not correct. I simply was noting that both the Bible and the Book of Mormon give accounts of supernatural events which have no proof or evidence with which to test them agains.

So if God exists in the Bible, God must be true. If a man Jesus, can come back from the dead as per the Bible, it must be true.

No. God could exist and the Bible could be false. I hold that as a possibility. I doubt the world wide flood occured and am skeptical that there was a real Adam and Eve.

By magical thinking I’m referring to things which happen which appear to defy the physical laws of nature. God as an entity which communicates and interacts with man is magical thinking, Jesus’s resurrection is magical thinking, Jesus appearing in America, is magical thinking. Anything at all which defies what we rationally appreciate to be within the physical laws of nature and can not be explained in any comprehensible naturalistic way is magical thinking.

Yes I understand this. I was simply stating that the Bible had some proofs-some or it is historical and some od the places have been proved to exist. Not so for the Book of Mormon.

This is why Jason it’s difficult for us to discuss J.Smith's character, the Book of Mormon, the D& C rationally. You have some irrational thinking which you don’t appreciate is irrational.

I think you misunderstand me. I agreee there is not rational evidence for these things. IF I believe them I believe them on faith only. That is it. I can choose to believe them based on faith and must admit that there is not a rational explanation for such "magical" or supernatural stories.

You haven’t given up magical thinking.

Well perhaps not totally but I am not so sure. Is irrational? Can one choose to have faith in God without all the proofs?

This is one of the reasons you are unable to appreciate the Book of Mormon is a hoax. You are looking at it from the perspective that it’s true, not from a skeptical rational perspective.

I have major doubts that the Book of Mormon is what I was taught it is. I can still value the principles it teaches however.

Your last line is quite telling, “Both books must be taken ultimately on faith to be believed.” In otherwords you are telling me you believe the Book of Mormon to be true despite lack of evidence, despite it requiring magical thinking to do so. That is an irrational approach, which you see no problem with. What you call “secular thinking” is the rational approach.

Once again I think you misunderstand. My point about faith is really in agreeement with you. I see no rational evidence for much of what I used to just take as truth period. So, IF I STILL believe it is BASED on faith wothout proofs. That may be folly to you and maybe it is folly.

I think it is probable that he did believe he had some ability to do this. I do not know this for certain.

So you do think he was sincere, that he thought he could actually could find buried treasures with the seer stone in a hat prop.

Like Dan Vogel I believe he convinced himself that he could to this.

Well then you don’t acknowledge a hoax, being played upon marks. You do not view J. smith as a con artist.

I do not view him as a malicious con at this point in time. I base that on what I have read from the man himself.

I could agree Jason that initially someone might believe they have special powers, but overtime, when for example treasures don't turn up, one would catch on, that those powers don’t exist. The brain recognizes and forms conclusions based on repeated observable patterns. Is there any evidence that Smith was actually successful in these endeavours? Why do you think he was charged and taken to court over it?

He was taken to court over a myriad of things and was convicted only once that I know of.

Off the top of my head probably for 5-8 year off and on.

In that case don't you think he had ample opportunaty to test his magical abilities? The reason length of time is also important is because it shows J. Smith’s ability to successfully keep to a con over long periods of time, without admitting to it. Of course, you don’t appreciate it was all a con on his part. So of course, you are going to interpret information entirely different to me. You are going to take Smith at his word. If he says something in the D & C, you are going to interpret it as being true, rather than all part of a manipulative skillfully played out con.

The revelation from the D&C even if made up by Smith reveals that he did fear God or he wanted people to think he did. One or the other.

I think his father and his friends believed it. He had partners in this activity in the Palmyra vicinity that believed he and another young women, I forget her name, had abilities. In fact when he allegedly had the plates for the Book of Mormon locals believed he had them because the came after them a number of times. Some of them believed that they had a right in a share of the plated because they were partner in the treasure seeking activity.

It is understandable that J. Smith's claims to finding gold plates, would be believed and accomplice treasure seekers would feel they had a right to a share in the profit. The story put out by Smith and family that they were hounded for these plates is contradicted by P. Tucker who says there really wasn’t much interest in the plates in the town. If you want I could find and quote Tucker on this but I don’t think you’d be interested or believe him.

I would read what Tucker said along with what others said. There were Palmyra cistizens who said they believed Smith had the plates.

Prestige, fame, etc all could have been benefits.

P. Tucker mentions that meat..was an incentive for night time treasure seeking. Yup meat. Desert_vulture mentioned this in his post above. Smith would claim a lamb needed to be slaughtered and the blood sprinkled around where they dug. After the meat was taken home for consumption. In addition farms would be missing live stock and it was suspected that the night time treasure seekers were the culprits. So perhaps it wasn’t just buried treasure which motivated these men in their treasure seeking activity. Why does one need to search at night?

This is new information to me.

The only account I know of is the admission to his Father in Law. In his official history he denies treasure seeking activity but for his employment by the Knight family.

I believe there were some others, Peter Ingersol I think. I believe Smith gave a statement in court as well owning up to it being a con. There are a few others that I’ve read but off the top of my head, I don’t remember the names. It seems to me that it is established fact that Smith conducted these night time treasure seeking trips with some other men. If Smith denied it, it suggest Smith had no problem lying.

I do believe Joseph Smith was capable of lying. The polygamy issue substantiates that.
_marg

Post by _marg »

previously: I get the impression from your response that you think of the Bible as a bench-mark.

No that is not correct. I simply was noting that both the Bible and the Book of Mormon give accounts of supernatural events which have no proof or evidence with which to test them agains.

Jason, ok then it's irrelevant for our discussion what is in the Bible. Let's stick with the Book of Mormon.

previously: So if God exists in the Bible, God must be true. If a man Jesus, can come back from the dead as per the Bible, it must be true.

No. God could exist and the Bible could be false. I hold that as a possibility. I doubt the world wide flood occured and am skeptical that there was a real Adam and Eve.

Right, so where are you in your beliefs. Do you have a belief in a Christian or Mormon god or are you a deist? And I'm not going to let you fence sit, with agnosticism. I'm not asking for what you know, I'm asking what you believe. Do you acknowledge there are supernatural claims in the Book of Mormon? Do you for operational purposes assume the Book of Mormon is mainly true, do you assume for operational purposes that a God aided Smith in producing it, do you assume for operational purposes the contents of the Book of Mormon are records of real, actual events.

previously: By magical thinking I’m referring to things which happen which appear to defy the physical laws of nature. God as an entity which communicates and interacts with man is magical thinking, Jesus’s resurrection is magical thinking, Jesus appearing in America, is magical thinking. Anything at all which defies what we rationally appreciate to be within the physical laws of nature and can not be explained in any comprehensible naturalistic way is magical thinking.

Yes I understand this. I was simply stating that the Bible had some proofs-some or it is historical and some od the places have been proved to exist. Not so for the Book of Mormon.

Ok but both texts you acknowledge have supernatural claims in them. And you acknowledge that God, angels, heaven, hell, resurrections, those sorts of claims are supernatural. All I'm trying to do Jason is not prove anything or trip you up. I'm just trying to understand your perspective, where you are coming from. Because in discussion that is important. If your perspective is much different to me, it helps to explain why we come to different conclusions.

previously:This is why Jason it’s difficult for us to discuss J.Smith's character, the Book of Mormon, the D& C rationally. You have some irrational thinking which you don’t appreciate is irrational.

I think you misunderstand me. I agreee there is not rational evidence for these things. IF I believe them I believe them on faith only. That is it. I can choose to believe them based on faith and must admit that there is not a rational explanation for such "magical" or supernatural stories.

So the question is, do you believe most of the church claims are true or not, i.e. J. Smith's story of angels, ancient golden plates existed and inscribed with reformed egyptian, God choosing J. Smith, that sort of thing.

previously: You haven’t given up magical thinking.

Well perhaps not totally but I am not so sure. Is irrational? Can one choose to have faith in God without all the proofs?

Yes one can. Is it irrational? yes. It's irrational in that there is no consensus nor evidence to warrant the claim. If the belief serves a purpose it's rational to hold the belief for the purpose alone. So the purpose is a rational one. Everyone is irrational about lots of things, we can't all have evidence and reasoning for all our beliefs. A god belief, becomes more ludicrous, as claims are piled on with regards to a God. Notions like what gender he is, what he may appear like, who he cares about, how he thinks, what he does, where he lives, etc.

previously: This is one of the reasons you are unable to appreciate the Book of Mormon is a hoax. You are looking at it from the perspective that it’s true, not from a skeptical rational perspective.

I have major doubts that the Book of Mormon is what I was taught it is. I can still value the principles it teaches however.

Sure principals are a good thing no matter where you get them from. Can you list for me some principles that you employ which you've inherited solely of the Book of Mormon?

previously: Your last line is quite telling, “Both books must be taken ultimately on faith to be believed.” In otherwords you are telling me you believe the Book of Mormon to be true despite lack of evidence, despite it requiring magical thinking to do so. That is an irrational approach, which you see no problem with. What you call “secular thinking” is the rational approach.

Once again I think you misunderstand. My point about faith is really in agreeement with you. I see no rational evidence for much of what I used to just take as truth period. So, IF I STILL believe it is BASED on faith wothout proofs. That may be folly to you and maybe it is folly.

Well whether it is folly or not is a separate issue. I'm interested in your perspective. So for example if you present to me evidence of what is written in the D& C, my interpretation of that will be much different that yours, if you accept what Smith says or writes as likely being honest while I might view Smith as a fraud capable of lying to perpetuate it.

previously: So you do think he was sincere, that he thought he could actually could find buried treasures with the seer stone in a hat prop.

Like Dan Vogel I believe he convinced himself that he could to this.

We are coming from a different perspective again. I disagree with Dan on this, and I'm finding due to the Spalding thread I don't agree with his reasoning there either. Dan tend in my view to present a perspective which the church can tolerate.

previously: Well then you don’t acknowledge a hoax, being played upon marks. You do not view J. smith as a con artist.

I do not view him as a malicious con at this point in time. I base that on what I have read from the man himself.

I don't either at this point in time...the benefits exceeded the costs.

previously: I could agree Jason that initially someone might believe they have special powers, but overtime, when for example treasures don't turn up, one would catch on, that those powers don’t exist. The brain recognizes and forms conclusions based on repeated observable patterns. Is there any evidence that Smith was actually successful in these endeavours? Why do you think he was charged and taken to court over it?

He was taken to court over a myriad of things and was convicted only once that I know of.

That's not really relevant to my point. My point is that through experience with his treasure in the hat, and it being unsuccessful which is a reason he was taken to court, he would learn from that experience that the didn't have magical abilities..even if other people thought he did, he would know differently. I can not fathom a person commiting fraud not appreciating what they are doing. I think your position that he may have thought he had treasure seeking magical abilities is not reasonable..if over time experience would tell him differently. But again this is a different perspective and explain why I've reached different conclusion about him than you.

previously: In that case don't you think he had ample opportunaty to test his magical abilities? The reason length of time is also important is because it shows J. Smith’s ability to successfully keep to a con over long periods of time, without admitting to it. Of course, you don’t appreciate it was all a con on his part. So of course, you are going to interpret information entirely different to me. You are going to take Smith at his word. If he says something in the D & C, you are going to interpret it as being true, rather than all part of a manipulative skillfully played out con.

The revelation from the D&C even if made up by Smith reveals that he did fear God or he wanted people to think he did. One or the other.

Correct, so yes the D & C is evidence and how one interprets it makes a difference. Also keep in mind the D& C is later evidence to his younger treasure seeking, it's under his control, actions speak louder than words.

previously: It is understandable that J. Smith's claims to finding gold plates, would be believed and accomplice treasure seekers would feel they had a right to a share in the profit. The story put out by Smith and family that they were hounded for these plates is contradicted by P. Tucker who says there really wasn’t much interest in the plates in the town. If you want I could find and quote Tucker on this but I don’t think you’d be interested or believe him.

I would read what Tucker said along with what others said. There were Palmyra cistizens who said they believed Smith had the plates.

Ok I'll look for the part I read &post it, not that it's going to make much difference to anything. I'll will try to respond regularly as warranted to this thread, but my husband is back tomorrow from a long trip.. so I'll probably spend less time on the net.

Your attitude has changed significantly. You seem much more interested in dialogue.

One more part...

previously:P. Tucker mentions that meat..was an incentive for night time treasure seeking. Yup meat. Desert_vulture mentioned this in his post above. Smith would claim a lamb needed to be slaughtered and the blood sprinkled around where they dug. After the meat was taken home for consumption. In addition farms would be missing live stock and it was suspected that the night time treasure seekers were the culprits. So perhaps it wasn’t just buried treasure which motivated these men in their treasure seeking activity. Why does one need to search at night?

This is new information to me.

Well that was in Tucker's book ..so I'll post that section as well. This is one of the major reasons I have empathy for his treasure seeking...he was not trying to make a fortune or even take significant advantage of others, he was only trying to survive.

I do believe Joseph Smith was capable of lying. The polygamy issue substantiates that.

So we are in agreement with that. There are differenc degrees of lying though. People lie about small things all the time but some lies are not acceptable. Do you think J. Smith's lying regarding polygamy was acceptable?