Daniel C. Peterson's book

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Runtu wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:Yes. Smac was one of the biggest whiners once my blog came on line. There is also fairly good reason to suspect him of being Mr. Itchy. Also, why is it that he is the one quoting the post?

Oh, I didn't see it on MADB (I really don't go there much anymore). I saw it on RfM. So, smac is the one who brought it to people's attention on MADB?

Yes. Smac did a post on the fittingly named MADboard, which is where is saw this bit where my name is being used. Oh well. It is not like this is the first time smear tactics such as these have been used by the apologists. (Also, in all fairness, I *have* said mean things about DCP before, but have no problem copping to them.)

Yep. Dadof7 (a.k.a. "Nomos") followed me around during my tenure on the ironically named FAIRboard. He was the one who put me on the queue, and, after DCP pulled a stunt similar to what smac is (apparently) doing, I was banned by Dadof7/Nomos/DaddyMO. I agree with you that he is rather two-faced.

I really thought he was a nice guy.

I did too, and was enormously disappointed when he shunned me after I was queued. On the bright side, I got to take great relish in watching him squirm after he appeared to complain about his dossier. (Later, I found out that he was Nomos! Imagine that! Now I feel even less guilty!)

Doubtless it is in certain circles.

I used to see Nibley a lot when I lived south of campus (he lived down the street from us). At that time, I was in such awe of his intellect that I just said hello as I passed. I don't recall his ever acknowledging me, but I could be wrong.

Well, the possibility remains that he was just a self-important jerk.
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Re: Daniel C. Peterson's book

Post by _wenglund »

guy sajer wrote: n regards to DCP's dismissive comment on his critics at RfM and elsewhere, let me say that I've seen his CV (or what of it that is available), and I would be surprised if any credible research university would hire him given his complete lack of peer reviewed publications.

Ironically, what reason would I have to believe that you are in any position to know what so-called research universities would or wouldn't do regarding Dr. Peterson?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

wenglund wrote:
guy sajer wrote: n regards to DCP's dismissive comment on his critics at RfM and elsewhere, let me say that I've seen his CV (or what of it that is available), and I would be surprised if any credible research university would hire him given his complete lack of peer reviewed publications.

Ironically, what reason would I have to believe that you are in any position to know what so-called research universities would or wouldn't do regarding Dr. Peterson?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Unless I am mistaken, Mr. Sajer is himself a tenured professor.... (Way to set an example of being "charitable," Wade!)
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Mister Scratch wrote:Yes. Smac did a post on the fittingly named MADboard, which is where is saw this bit where my name is being used. Oh well. It is not like this is the first time smear tactics such as these have been used by the apologists. (Also, in all fairness, I *have* said mean things about DCP before, but have no problem copping to them.)

I remember a sister missionary in our mission who said some rather mean things about a particular missionary (they were well-deserved). One day at a restaurant, she said, "Elder Fulano, I wanted to apologize. I've said some nasty things about you behind your back, and that isn't right. So, I want you to know that I think you're a self-righteous jerk." Still makes me laugh.

I've probably said some mean things about DCP, though not intentionally. Once I called him a "jerk" for saying it was members' fault for not knowing church history, and he emailed me. I apologized, but I told him I didn't agree with that position at all. Still don't.

I did too, and was enormously disappointed when he shunned me after I was queued. On the bright side, I got to take great relish in watching him squirm after he appeared to complain about his dossier. (Later, I found out that he was Nomos! Imagine that! Now I feel even less guilty!)

That's how I feel about Jan's sharing things from a PM as a mod. (At least I'm assuming it was Jan because the reasons I gave Jan for asking to be banned last year were the same ones that the mod ridiculed me for publicly this year).

Well, the possibility remains that he was just a self-important jerk.

I have no idea what he was like. I just judge him by his scholarship, which I have come to learn is not universally praised.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

I certainly hope that this is genuine kindness coming from the posters on this thread. I think that daniel is regarded within his own circle and I do believe that he has given lectures and presentations on islam to academic audiences but I could be wrong on this.

Daniel seems to be a gifted individual who has been badly mistreated by the countermo critics who seem to have the knowledge of bar stool only because of their personal attacks against his character. And I include RFM in this circle of bar stools.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

why me wrote:I certainly hope that this is genuine kindness coming from the posters on this thread. I think that daniel is regarded within his own circle and I do believe that he has given lectures and presentations on islam to academic audiences but I could be wrong on this.

Daniel seems to be a gifted individual who has been badly mistreated by the countermo critics who seem to have the knowledge of bar stool only because of their personal attacks against his character. And I include RFM in this circle of bar stools.

I like Daniel Peterson just fine, and I sincerely wish him well and congratulate him on his book.

And I'm with Scratch: I don't know why you would question a tenured professor's experience with publication.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

why me wrote:I certainly hope that this is genuine kindness coming from the posters on this thread. I think that daniel is regarded within his own circle and I do believe that he has given lectures and presentations on islam to academic audiences but I could be wrong on this.

I don't know if you remember, but a long time ago on the MADB someone was prodding Dr. Peterson about name-dropping. to be facetious and to shut the other person up he produced the following pleonastic list:

You want more name-dropping? (Of course you do.) Here's a partial list, off the top of my head: I've lectured at Islamic schools, mosques, and universities in Australia, New Zealand, North Carolina, Egypt, Jordan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, and Syria. I've taken active part in small gatherings for interreligious dialogue in Idaho, Utah, California, Kansas, New York City, Austria, Israel, and Malta. I've met with senior cardinals of the Roman Catholic Church in Australia and in Vatican City. I've met, as part of an interreligious delegation, with the president of Israel, in his home. I've met with the head of the "Uniting Church" (the main Protestant denomination in Australia) in his home. I've met with senior Shi‘ite clerics in Iran. I've lunched with the Saudi consul general in Hong Kong and the Malaysian consul in Perth, Western Australia. I've hosted the soon-to-be president of Indonesia (and his eventual foreign minister) at BYU. At one point, at the United Nations building in New York, I addressed a group of forty-eight mostly Muslim ambassadors at an evening banquet. And so on and so forth.

As I hope is at least partially evident, he is very involved in their community and has earned the respect that is payed him. As much as he is criticized for not appreciating being misrepresented and misquoted, he's a responsible and respected scholar.
I like you Betty...

My blog
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

He's a smart guy. I think most people just wonder how such an intelligent guy can believe in such hogwash.

I also think most critics would love to have him on our side someday... ;)
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Mister Scratch wrote:
wenglund wrote:

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Unless I am mistaken, Mr. Sajer is himself a tenured professor.... (Way to set an example of being "charitable," Wade!)

Wade has Tenure envy.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Who Knows wrote:He's a smart guy. I think most people just wonder how such an intelligent guy can believe in such hogwash.

I also think most critics would love to have him on our side someday... ;)

Would critics also love to have Pahoran on their side someday? ;)
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO