Mitt campaign microcosm of Morg assimilation? ...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

Rollo: It's kind of ironic that you chose the word "Morg" for the LDS church, when the article, as you present it, tells how the LDS church is trying to become assimilated. Who represents the Borg Collective in this picture? It's mainstream Christianity, isn't it?
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

The Dude wrote:Rollo: It's kind of ironic that you chose the word "Morg" for the LDS church, when the article, as you present it, tells how the LDS church is trying to become assimilated. Who represents the Borg Collective in this picture? It's mainstream Christianity, isn't it?

That's precisely why I found it amusing -- the irony is that the Borg/Morg was being assimilated; usually, it's the reverse. I apologize for my strange sense of humor.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_why me
_Emeritus

Re: Mitt campaign microcosm of Morg assimilation? ...

Post by _why me »

Runtu wrote:[Can you be in the morg but not of the morg? ;-)

Seriously, I don't consider inactive members to be Mormon conformists. And for the record, I don't like the term "morg"; it's insulting.

But you didn't get my point. I am never silenced for my ideas regardless of my inactivity. I bring them up in meeting when I attend. Only once I was silenced by a senior missionary when I wanted to bring up a comment on a satanist website about how to live life. And this was in regard to the influence of satan in our society since many in society possess this Satanic value.

But outside of that, my marxist-humanist stance is in the meetings. And most know my politics. No Morg impression at all. But that is not say that there isn't conformity. Of course, there is. But it is a matter of choice. Nothing more.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

To get back to Mitt. Of course there will be a sense of conformity in the Romney campaign. It is called political survival. We all must sacrifice here and there to achieve are goals. Mitt will be no exception to the rule. This is only one aspect of human meaning.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Just a little FYI... Mitt will be interviewed by Larry King tonight!

My guess?

A similar fluffy piece like the GBH interview... where teachings of the church are denied to appear more mainstream.

:-)

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
wenglund wrote:Your subject heading mentions the "Morg". Could you please explain what that term is in reference to and why you chose to use it?

Mr. Scratch explains the meaning of "Morg" very well above. I used it in this particular thread because of the article's use of the word "assimilation," which was a favorite word (along with the phrase "resistance is futile") of the Borg in the Star Trek: The Next Generation TV series. The fact the author of the article refers to the apparent desire of the LDS Church (and Mitt) to "assimilate" (i.e., mainstream) in traditional Christianity, struck me as funny since the Church is often (in jest, in my case) referred as "the Morg."

I asked, because, like Runtu, I find the term insulting, and given how many here have colored you at times as one of the more respectful and fair-minded critics, I thought it somewhat out of character with that perception.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

wenglund wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:
wenglund wrote:Your subject heading mentions the "Morg". Could you please explain what that term is in reference to and why you chose to use it?

Mr. Scratch explains the meaning of "Morg" very well above. I used it in this particular thread because of the article's use of the word "assimilation," which was a favorite word (along with the phrase "resistance is futile") of the Borg in the Star Trek: The Next Generation TV series. The fact the author of the article refers to the apparent desire of the LDS Church (and Mitt) to "assimilate" (i.e., mainstream) in traditional Christianity, struck me as funny since the Church is often (in jest, in my case) referred as "the Morg."

I asked, because, like Runtu, I find the term insulting, and given how many here have colored you at times as one of the more respectful and fair-minded critics, I thought it somewhat out of character with that perception.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Once again, Wade misses the irony (and the joke).
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

harmony wrote:Once again, Wade misses the irony (and the joke).

How so? (This should be interesting to hear since I think I do understand Rollo's reasoning for saying what he did in "jest", and I am also fully aware of people's looong memories of when I have been insulting.)

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Pokatator
_Emeritus

Post by _Pokatator »

why me wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:"Morg" is a slang term used primarily by critics of the Church to describe the conformist tendencies in Mormonism (e.g., standardized dress, bloc voting, insistence on obedience, etc.) "Morg" is a play on the word "Borg," and if you are a Sci-Fi fan, you will know that the Borg were a hostile alien race from the series, Star Trek: The Next Generation. The Borg were a frightening cyborg race that flew around space in a giant cube, "assimilating" other races into "the Borg collective."

Yep, I am certainly in the Morg. My Marxist, humanist lds slant on life difinitely places me among Morgbots. And the fact, I never wear a white shirt to church only the more so, places me within a morg type setting. And the fact that I often bring into play my Marxist, humanist slant on the world and the gospel in church settings does also give me a morg feeling.

Aren't generalizations wonderful!

In fact, it was on a postmorg site that my marxist, humanist slant on life got me a warning not to post such slants again. But on Morg sites, no one gives a hoot.

It was the postmormon.org not postmorg.... 2 years ago give or take. You were pathetic then you are pathetic now. And I give a hoot.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

why me wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:"Morg" is a slang term used primarily by critics of the Church to describe the conformist tendencies in Mormonism (e.g., standardized dress, bloc voting, insistence on obedience, etc.) "Morg" is a play on the word "Borg," and if you are a Sci-Fi fan, you will know that the Borg were a hostile alien race from the series, Star Trek: The Next Generation. The Borg were a frightening cyborg race that flew around space in a giant cube, "assimilating" other races into "the Borg collective."

Yep, I am certainly in the Morg. My Marxist, humanist LDS slant on life definitely places me among Morgbots. And the fact, I never wear a white shirt to church only the more so, places me within a morg type setting. And the fact that I often bring into play my Marxist, humanist slant on the world and the gospel in church settings does also give me a morg feeling.

Aren't generalizations wonderful!

In fact, it was on a postmorg site that my Marxist, humanist slant on life got me a warning not to post such slants again. But on Morg sites, no one gives a hoot.

Do you suppose if more LDS were to embrace your Marxist-humanist leanings that the sobriquet of "The Morg" would go away? It is worth a try!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace