Mitt campaign microcosm of Morg assimilation? ...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_why me
_Emeritus

Re: Mitt campaign microcosm of Morg assimilation? ...

Post by _why me »

Pokatator wrote:
why me wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:"Morg" is a slang term used primarily by critics of the Church to describe the conformist tendencies in Mormonism (e.g., standardized dress, bloc voting, insistence on obedience, etc.) "Morg" is a play on the word "Borg," and if you are a Sci-Fi fan, you will know that the Borg were a hostile alien race from the series, Star Trek: The Next Generation. The Borg were a frightening cyborg race that flew around space in a giant cube, "assimilating" other races into "the Borg collective."

Yep, I am certainly in the Morg. My Marxist, humanist lds slant on life difinitely places me among Morgbots. And the fact, I never wear a white shirt to church only the more so, places me within a morg type setting. And the fact that I often bring into play my Marxist, humanist slant on the world and the gospel in church settings does also give me a morg feeling.

Aren't generalizations wonderful!

In fact, it was on a postmorg site that my marxist, humanist slant on life got me a warning not to post such slants again. But on Morg sites, no one gives a hoot.

It was the postmormon.org not postmorg.... 2 years ago give or take. You were pathetic then you are pathetic now. And I give a hoot.

Actually, I prefer it to be the postmorg. Have you noticed the comformity on that site? All seem to have created a morgue like atmosphere where all agree with eachother and when there is a minor disagreement, apologies for disagreeing are in order. And yet, there they are criticizing lds conformity and everything else lds. At least when I was there I was a true post-lds in mind, embracing outside thought in my marxism and remaining positive about the lds church, something that their webpage says they also do. ;=o

But all the negatives on that site about the lds church without a positive creates a borg/postmorg atmosphere that leaves one shaking their head over hypocrisy. And yes, it is still one of the borgish sites on the internet.

I remember you also. You bolted a long time ago...I assumed because of the borgish hardcore posters.
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

And the fact, I never wear a white shirt to church

Really? That must be awkward. The first time I visited an LDS ward I wore tan slacks and a plaid shirt. I felt royally stupid. Only one other male in the entire building was wearing something other than black pants and a white shirt, and he was a Catholic foreign exchange student from Brazil!
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

whyme wrote:

Actually, I prefer it to be the postmorg. Have you noticed the comformity on that site? All seem to have created a morgue like atmosphere where all agree with eachother and when there is a minor disagreement, apologies for disagreeing are in order. And yet, there they are criticizing lds conformity and everything else lds. At least when I was there I was a true post-lds in mind, embracing outside thought in my marxism and remaining positive about the lds church, something that their webpage says they also do. ;=o

But all the negatives on that site about the lds church without a positive creates a borg/postmorg atmosphere that leaves one shaking their head over hypocrisy. And yes, it is still one of the borgish sites on the internet.

I remember you also. You bolted a long time ago...I assumed because of the borgish hardcore posters.

The irony of this post is killing me.

I was always taught in the morg that fence sitters are the worst of the hypocrites. What is that scripture again that says something like it's better to be hot or cold, just get off your a## and choose one or the other. So how does one of the worst fence sitters, as the poster above, come off judging others for their hypocrisy?

You've been doing a lot of "pot-kettle" replies lately, whyme. Where do you get off calling someone a hypocrite? Really. And to complain about conformity: read your last 100 posts or so. That's conformity, par excellence.

And yes, I agree, that avatar is so ... Well, I shouldn't complain about that avatar. At least, that guy got off his a##, and accomplished something, whether for good or for ill. Dum, dum, dum, dum.
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Pokatator
_Emeritus

Post by _Pokatator »

Why Me

I don't know about bolting but yes I did leave. And I remember you as quite disingenuous when they would confront you as a TBM and how you would deny it.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Pokatator wrote:Why Me

I don't know about bolting but yes I did leave. And I remember you as quite disingenuous when they would confront you as a TBM and how you would deny it.

I was never a TBM and this is what annoyed some on that forum. All knew that I was inactive and I took flak for that also. But I did challenge their negativisms. For after all, the site does claim to embrace all that was positive about the lds church that they may have felt or experienced. I stressed the positive but I also made comments about philosophy, postmodernism, humanism etc. But the tone of the day on postmorg is still: The lds church made me a poor victim. Please kiss my butt and give me hugs.

But heaven forbid if one challenges their negative assumptions. And in this we have conformity once more. On the postmorg site and on some exersites, conformity is a must. But on many lds sites, conformity is not encouraged. I also post on mormonfeministhousewives and there is a rich diversity of thought as there is on LDSliberation front. Both prolds sites. Likewise for Jeff Lindsay's blog and Times and Seasons. I see no morg behavior...but I do see it on the postmorg. The lesson: A Post life is a morg life.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

CaliforniaKid wrote:
And the fact, I never wear a white shirt to church

Really? That must be awkward. The first time I visited an LDS ward I wore tan slacks and a plaid shirt. I felt royally stupid. Only one other male in the entire building was wearing something other than black pants and a white shirt, and he was a Catholic foreign exchange student from Brazil!

Like I said, it is a choice. Dare to be different and change the world. And if someone says something, just say, I like blue or green or red, or black but I hate white and continue to be different. You will not be disfellowshiped for wearing a yellow shirt. But a plaid shirt with checkered pants might.... :=)
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

why me wrote:A Post life is a morg life.

You know, I agree with you. One would hope that abandoning a false religious belief system would open one up to a world of possibilities. When we decide that a "postmormon" life has specific features and requires certain attitudes, we close off so many of those possibilities.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

gramps wrote:whyme wrote:

The irony of this post is killing me.

I was always taught in the morg that fence sitters are the worst of the hypocrites. What is that scripture again that says something like it's better to be hot or cold, just get off your a## and choose one or the other. So how does one of the worst fence sitters, as the poster above, come off judging others for their hypocrisy?

You've been doing a lot of "pot-kettle" replies lately, whyme. Where do you get off calling someone a hypocrite? Really. And to complain about conformity: read your last 100 posts or so. That's conformity, par excellence.

And yes, I agree, that avatar is so ... Well, I shouldn't complain about that avatar. At least, that guy got off his a##, and accomplished something, whether for good or for ill. Dum, dum, dum, dum.

I never heard such a thing about me. I am upfront with my fence sitting and so, what would be hypocritical about that? And as a fence sitter I have a pretty open mind about the lds church, however, I do challenge the negatives or negative interpretations. I have a different take on many things that a critic complains about. And as you know, gramps, I do have a rich diversity to my thinking. I called no one a hypocrite but I can call a board hypocritical. When one posts on a critic board that rails against morg mentality and yet shows the same mentality on its own board, I can call a spade a spade. They need to look at the board grass growing on their own board before criticizing someone else's church or cyberboard. And I am not addressing you here but I can address the morg mentality on their boards.

And gramps I have always been upfront with my fence sitting and with my politics. And that gramps is not being hypocritical. And no one in the church made me feel that way you related in your post.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Runtu wrote:
why me wrote:A Post life is a morg life.

You know, I agree with you. One would hope that abandoning a false religious belief system would open one up to a world of possibilities. When we decide that a "postmormon" life has specific features and requires certain attitudes, we close off so many of those possibilities.

And yet, what is false? And can someone make such a statement? False is in the eye of the beholder, isn' it? But you are right. Certain posters on that other board do have a certain attitude about just what a postmorg life is and what is required. Hence, the hypocritical nature of the board.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

wenglund wrote:I asked, because, like Runtu, I find the term insulting, and given how many here have colored you at times as one of the more respectful and fair-minded critics, I thought it somewhat out of character with that perception.

My apologies. I intended no insult -- the article's use of the word "assimilate" led me to use the word "Morg" (which I do find very funny, but not in an insulting way).
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)