bah, now I'm suspended too

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
liz3564 wrote:
FAIR/MAD has always had a more formal feel to it.

Formal or Uptight?

Shades' and Kevin's board have always had more of a "bull session", informal feel.

In other words, we don't post like we're undergoing an anal probe. :)

Speak for yourself!

I don't really think we have to worry about Sethbag turning to the Dark Side. Hopefully, when his suspension is over, he can return and be happy at MAD, till one of the mods feeling out of sorts that day decides to lower the boom on Sethbag. He will always have this place to welcome him.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

moksha wrote:
I don't really think we have to worry about Sethbag turning to the Dark Side.

You're obviously not aware of some of Mr. Scratch's tactics:

"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_why me
_Emeritus

Re: bah, now I'm suspended too

Post by _why me »

The Dude wrote:
Too bad, Sethbag. Here we are in reform school, and as often happens, not-so-bad kids turn worse in detention because they are kept in the influence of really-bad kids. It's just like in The Breakfast Club -- we're completely loosing respect for authority.

Actually, you should look upon this time as a time for innocent reflection. Reflect on your wrongs and seek wisdom to correct your behavior. This is actually a growing time for the both of you...a time for meditation and inner dialogue with an understanding heart, so that the both of you can grow as human beings and achieve Dharma with the outer world.

It is a moment to look on your experience not as reform school but as a lesson in the school of life, as you both reach for buddhahood.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

wenglund wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:
What "repelling behaviors," Wade? Why are you so shy about naming them?

For one, there is the marked blindness in some participants here to their own repelling behaviors. That you would need to ask this question, is valid evidence that speaks to this point--except in the minds of those, such as yourself, who are afflicted with this blindness.

No, Wade, that is not evidence at all! You say, "You're blind to your repelling behaviors". Well, what repelling behaviors? You cannot claim that I am blind to behaviors which you yourself cannot even identify.

So, for them and you, it does no good for me to even say, though I have on numerous occasion dealt in general and specifics here about the repelling behaviors (including my own), your implication to the contrary notwithstanding.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

No, Wade, you have never named specific "repelling behaviors" in the critics. You have named some of your own, but never for others. I wonder why that is?

You see, Wade, I am sensing a pattern here. I suspect that these "repelling behaviors" are sort of like your "Mr. D."---they are entirely a figment of your imagination (or a "cognitive distortion"?). You are so convinced that all of us display these "repelling behaviors," and yet you are unable to tell us what they are! Because we are "close minded"! How convenient. I think that you are just puffing smoke, Wade. I think that these "repelling behaviors" are non-existent.
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

Mister Scratch wrote:
wenglund wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:

For one, there is the marked blindness in some participants here to their own repelling behaviors. That you would need to ask this question, is valid evidence that speaks to this point--except in the minds of those, such as yourself, who are afflicted with this blindness.

No, Wade, that is not evidence at all! You say, "You're blind to your repelling behaviors". Well, what repelling behaviors? You cannot claim that I am blind to behaviors which you yourself cannot even identify.

So, for them and you, it does no good for me to even say, though I have on numerous occasion dealt in general and specifics here about the repelling behaviors (including my own), your implication to the contrary notwithstanding.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

No, Wade, you have never named specific "repelling behaviors" in the critics. You have named some of your own, but never for others. I wonder why that is?

You see, Wade, I am sensing a pattern here. I suspect that these "repelling behaviors" are sort of like your "Mr. D."---they are entirely a figment of your imagination (or a "cognitive distortion"?). You are so convinced that all of us display these "repelling behaviors," and yet you are unable to tell us what they are! Because we are "close minded"! How convenient. I think that you are just puffing smoke, Wade. I think that these "repelling behaviors" are non-existent.

Please click HERE

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Re: sethbag

Post by _Sethbag »

marg wrote:Sethbag, what country are you from? Were you raised by parents very religous? both Mormon? What influences do you think encouraged you to critically think... mainly from parents, from school, or no one in particular?

I'm from the US. My parents were both born in Utah, but I was born in Arizona and moved to Massachusetts when I was a kid. So I grew up around non-mormons. I was the only Mormon in my class in high school. None of my neighbors were Mormons, nor any of the friends I hung out with at school. While during that whole time I was truly a dyed in the wool kind of absolute Mormon believer, I can see how this experience of "real life" with non-mormons has enabled me to see the parallels between Mormonism and the beliefs of a lot of other people out there and realize that a lot of what Mormons think is unique and "special" to Mormonism really isn't.

I've always had an active interest in science. When I was a freshman in high school I wanted to be a geologist or meteoroligist or something like that, because that's what we were studying. As a sophomore I wanted to be a biologist when we studied biology. As a junior I wanted to be a chemist. As a senior I wanted to be a physicist. Well, that was the last I had done, so I started studying physics in college. I eventually strayed and switched to computer science and German, but for practical reasons and not because I didn't love science.

I think the open attitude, for the most part, toward science in the church helped me feel comfortable learning how to actually trust science, which is not the same thing as believing everything science says implicitly. I stopped disbelieving evolution and believing it instead in my teens, and that started me on a long journey of identifying more and more things (like the Noah's Ark story) that I couldn't reconcile between the LDS church's teachings and the things I believed scientifically. I believed there was good reason to trust the science more in these areas, and so I acknowledged that the church got it wrong on some things. That was the initial chink in the armor. I rationalized it all as not important to my salvation, etc. But the realization of an increasing number of cases where the church simply had it wrong grew and grew, and I had a hard time with that. When finally confronted with the depths of Joseph Smith's polygamy and abuse of power (telling a young girl that God had given her to him, and that an angel would kill him if she didn't agree to marry him, IS an abuse of power), combined with the even more potent evidence that Joseph Smith made up the Book of Abraham, really pushed me over the edge.

Ever since I made the fateful realization that I was kicking against the pricks of truth, and that the LDS church really might not be true, and then eventual realized that it is not in fact true, I've seen more and more ways in which this is now obvious. With the clearing of the fog of mental conditioning, and the ever-increasing clarity of being able to see the church from "the outside", I'm realizing more and more that there's been this gigantic puzzle all along showing clearly that the church is really man-made and not from God. This puzzle is made up of a great many individual puzzle pieces that each contribute to the picture. Book of Abraham is one such puzzle piece. Joseph's deception and abuse of power in the polygamy case is another. Lack of inspiration with regards human origins, age of the earth, things not dying before Adam, Noah's Ark, the many problems with the Book of Mormon, etc. are all pieces of this puzzle. That the LDS conception of how they receive "knowledge" from the Holy Spirit is not reliable, and not even unique, and that a lot of other people in the world use the same ideas to justify their "knowledge" that their beliefs are correct, is yet another puzzle piece. That Brigham Young was so uninspired that he taught things like Adam/God, blood atonement, black priesthood ban and the smearing of all black people with the believe that right out of the womb they were reaping the disadvantages they deserved as a result of their actions in the pre-existence, all these are yet more pieces of this puzzle.

When you put all these puzzle pieces together, you realize that it all clearly shows that this church is just a man-made institution like all the other churches out there. It's plain as day. Maybe you have to be a right-brain, "big picture" kind of guy, but that's what I am, and I'm seeing the "big picture" here and realizing that this church simply is not true. No way, no how. And tackling each and every one of the very many puzzle pieces and trying to present a plausible explanation that cancels out their evidentiary value is simply not cutting it. The net result of all these puzzle pieces is as clear as day, the nose on my face, etc.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

wenglund wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:
wenglund wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Please click HERE

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Is that the best you've got? Hilarious, Wade. In all seriousness: can you or can you not provide evidence for your claims?
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

why me wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:
why me wrote:
Why me wrote:
[b]Seth is 'boozing' it up, throwing darts with the RFM crowd. The tone of is fellow dart partners is affecting his judgement and tone. He needs to sit in the park, do some belching to let out the gas and join civilization. Or he could join the faye west charm school choir. That should do it.

Does Seth even post at RFM? I haven't seen anyone named "Sethbag" over there.

Yep, see his long post on page 3. He posts or posted on RFM. Thus, the wrong crowd influence. Hence, the need to do some belching to let out the gas. Nothing that alka seltzer couldn't handle.

A closer reading of my post shows that I have posted and read over there, but only infrequently, and that I don't identify myself with the attitudes of a lot of the posters over there, and can't really bear being over there very much. Which is why I am only there infrequently. As a rough guesstimate, I'd estimate I've spent at least 50 times as much time and energy on FAIR/MAD as on RFM.

And no, I didn't post as Sethbag. I'm not going to say what I did post as, but not because I posted things I wouldn't want you guys to know.
_marg

Re: sethbag

Post by _marg »

why me wrote:
marg wrote:Sethbag, what country are you from? Were you raised by parents very religous? both Mormon? What influences do you think encouraged you to critically think... mainly from parents, from school, or no one in particular?

Do you consider yourself to be a critical thinker marg? What exactly is a critical thinker? Your post implies that apologists are not critical thinkers. I hope that I am wrong. If I am not wrong, it shows that you are suffering from an extreme form of elitism. And that is not what critical thinking is.

I consider that critical thinkers are able to be open minded, intellectually honest, objective and can re-evaluate beliefs when new evidence becomes apparent which may oppose those beliefs. I think critical thinkers are more interested in truth as opposed to defending held beliefs. Apologists are not critical thinkers in that regard. Apologist's purpose is solely to defend, not to let the evidence lead the way, not to seek truth as a goal.

I think non critical thinkers in argument and discussion employ fallacies such as ad hominems on a frequent basis. See your post above.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Wade,

As long as you continue to focus exclusively on the "anti-social behaviors" and the "dysfunctions" of the critics, and refuse to engage believers on the same issues, then I will continue to believe this latest refrain of your is just one more in your long history of arguments that basically argue the same thing - nothing is wrong with the church or LDS beliefs, rather something is wrong with critics.

Aside from that, practically speaking, if one wants to impact a problematic dialogue between opposing groups, one's best bet is to focus on one's own group. You're already accepted and under less suspicion. You have no agenda which threatens your own group. Just as one is more effective engineering change in one's self rather than others, so it is true on the next level - one is more effective engineering change in one's won group rather than in others. I find it very suspicious you ignore this obvious reality.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com