Can we communicate with God directly as man does with man

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_grampa75
_Emeritus

Can we communicate with God directly as man does with man

Post by _grampa75 »

I would like just to see if anyone has experienced what I have in the study of my scriptures or listening to our prophet. First of all, every word we hear or read is not to be accepted as truth except by the mouth of two or more witnesses. Any Mormon should not be able to be deceived because one of the witnesses to any truth would have to be the whispering of the Holy Spirit. I would just like to quote some scriptures both from the Bible and from Mormon scripture.
D & C 6: 11 If thou wilt enquire thou shalt know mysteries which are great and marvelous, therefore, thou shalt exercise thy gift that thou mayest find out mysteries, that thou mayest bring many to the knowledge of the truth, yea, convince them of the error of their ways.
An LDS member should not even believe in the prophet unless the Holy Spirit testifies that what that prophet has taught is true.
Moroni 10: 5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of ALL things.
St. James 1: 5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God that giveth to ALL MEN liberally and upbraideth not, and it SHALL BE GIVEN HIM.
1 John 2: 27 The anointing which you have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you. But the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
St. John 8: 31 If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed.
32. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
D & C 93: 24 And TRUTH is the knowledge of things, as they were, as they are, and as they are to come.
I am just amazed that so many people don't seem to understand the scriptures that have been provided for them when we have the promise from God that HE will teach us the truth of all things, and all we have to do is ask.
grampa75
Paul W. Burt
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Can we communicate with God directly as man does with man?
God would always win the belching contest. Don't even think about horseshoes.
I see no reason to assume that God would be limited by our means of perception
or communication.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

I think God is clearly able to speak to us face to face--that is, if we can abide his presence. I think he also communicates with us through our minds and hearts also.

Gramps, that is a good point. I believe that is why we are counseled by God to seek our own witness of what is taught to us. Cultivating the gift of discernment is also an important part of being able to know "the truth of all things".
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Re: Can we communicate with God directly as man does with ma

Post by _Runtu »

grampa75 wrote:I would like just to see if anyone has experienced what I have in the study of my scriptures or listening to our prophet. First of all, every word we hear or read is not to be accepted as truth except by the mouth of two or more witnesses. Any Mormon should not be able to be deceived because one of the witnesses to any truth would have to be the whispering of the Holy Spirit. I would just like to quote some scriptures both from the Bible and from Mormon scripture.
D & C 6: 11 If thou wilt enquire thou shalt know mysteries which are great and marvelous, therefore, thou shalt exercise thy gift that thou mayest find out mysteries, that thou mayest bring many to the knowledge of the truth, yea, convince them of the error of their ways.
An LDS member should not even believe in the prophet unless the Holy Spirit testifies that what that prophet has taught is true.
Moroni 10: 5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of ALL things.
St. James 1: 5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God that giveth to ALL MEN liberally and upbraideth not, and it SHALL BE GIVEN HIM.
1 John 2: 27 The anointing which you have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you. But the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
St. John 8: 31 If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed.
32. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
D & C 93: 24 And TRUTH is the knowledge of things, as they were, as they are, and as they are to come.
I am just amazed that so many people don't seem to understand the scriptures that have been provided for them when we have the promise from God that HE will teach us the truth of all things, and all we have to do is ask.
grampa75

So, Paul, how does one know that what one is hearing is indeed the Holy Ghost?
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Well... all I can say is that as a believing, strong, as obedient as possible, devoted, member, the HG told me things that were different than what the church taught.

I had many very strong spiritual experiences that clearly told me various teachings were not of God.

What can I say?

;-)

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_grampa75
_Emeritus

Post by _grampa75 »

truth dancer wrote:Well... all I can say is that as a believing, strong, as obedient as possible, devoted, member, the HG told me things that were different than what the church taught.

I had many very strong spiritual experiences that clearly told me various teachings were not of God.

What can I say?
Dancer, I can appreciate your entry. I have found myself some differences, but the thing I have found is in interpretation not the teaching. For example, LDS are taught that once we aspire to the Celestial Kingdom of heaven we may be able to have spiritual children. The teaching is correct but I have yet to meet an LDS person, except for my own family, who knows the true interpretation of the spirit birth.
You see, we are also taught that we may become a God. This is also taught in St. John 5: 19-25, but so far as spirit children is concerned the only person who ever had spirit children born to them is Jesus Christ. Since we believe that we can become a God ourselves, wouldn't that mean if we combine the spirit birth that the God we may become might just require us to suffer, bleed, and die on some distant Calvary yet to be created.
I have never found a false teaching in the LDS Religion, but I have discovered through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit that many of the teachings are interpreted by the membership of the church wrong.
Good point Dancer.
grampa75

;-)

~dancer~
Paul W. Burt
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

grampa75 wrote:First of all, every word we hear or read is not to be accepted as truth except by the mouth of two or more witnesses.

Would this include Joseph Smith's account of the first vision?

Any Mormon should not be able to be deceived because one of the witnesses to any truth would have to be the whispering of the Holy Spirit.

Why did the Church buy the stuff by Mark Hofmann then?
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_grampa75
_Emeritus

Post by _grampa75 »

truth dancer wrote:Well... all I can say is that as a believing, strong, as obedient as possible, devoted, member, the HG told me things that were different than what the church taught.

What can I say?
As I said before Dancer, good point. And after that I pointed out some teachings that in my own personaly relationship with my maker is not being interpreted correctly. Now I would so much like to hear from you about the teachings that you claim the Holy Spirit has taught you is incorrect. I can believe that IF i knew what those teachings were that you don't believe in. That is the only way that I can communicate with others is to discuss our differences and how we came to believe or not believe in any subject.
So please present those teachings that we found to be wrong.
grampa75

;-)

~dancer~
Paul W. Burt
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Alter Idem wrote:I think God is clearly able to speak to us face to face--that is, if we can abide his presence. I think he also communicates with us through our minds and hearts also.

Gramps, that is a good point. I believe that is why we are counseled by God to seek our own witness of what is taught to us. Cultivating the gift of discernment is also an important part of being able to know "the truth of all things".

Hey Alter Idem, he/she is not gramps. We are very different. grampa75 is not gramps.
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
grampa75 wrote:First of all, every word we hear or read is not to be accepted as truth except by the mouth of two or more witnesses.

Would this include Joseph Smith's account of the first vision?

Any Mormon should not be able to be deceived because one of the witnesses to any truth would have to be the whispering of the Holy Spirit.

Why did the Church buy the stuff by Mark Hofmann then?

"Bond Da Balloon Buster!" ROTFLOL!!!!!! Made my day!! Thanks Bro! Roger :-)