Steel in America during the time of the Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_grampa75
_Emeritus

Steel in America during the time of the Book of Mormon

Post by _grampa75 »

Did the people living in the Americas at the time the Book of Mormon was being written by the American prophets, have steel as it was written in the Book of Mormon when Nephi broke his bow of steel.
Anyone who doubts that steel existed during those times must not be well read in the scriptures.
The time that it was written in the Book of Mormon that Nephi broke his bow of steel was about 600 BC. But about 1000 BC this verse is written in the Bible concerning steel weapons.
2 Samuel 22: 35 He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken in mine arms.
There is one other things that tends to prove the validity of the Book of Mormon is when Lehi, after having marched for three days from Jerusalem camped by the borders of the Red Sea. He named a river that flowed into the Red Sea after one of his son. And named a valley which was by the river that flowed into the Red Sea after his other son. The problem with that verse is that the Red Sea is over 200 miles from Jerusalem and could not be reached in only 3 days. The Red Sea is situated in a volcanic mountain and is fed from underground. In the entire history of Israel (until 1963) there was never a river that flowed into the Red Sea.
In the Book of Josephus, which was published in the United States in 1963 we find this verse:
The Tigres, the Phison (Which is now called the Ganges) and the Euphrates flowed into the Red Sea.

There is a footnote after that 3rd verse on page 25 in the book called Antiquities of the Jews that reads: (here is not only the South Sea which alone we call by that name today, but all the water surrounding Israel up to the East Indies were called the Red Sea.)

Joseph Smith had no way of knowing that there was a river that flowed into the Red Sea because that information was not known to anyone at the time of Joseph Smith. So wouldn't you say that Joseph Smith had to be inspired of God to know that a river flowed into the Red Sea when the world believed that there was never a river that flowed into the Red Sea.

Just wondering how others would take that information.
grampa75
Paul W. Burt
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I don't understand your question. You seem to ask whether or not steel existed in ancient America during the Book of Mormon time period, but the "evidence" you cite is a scripture from the Old World.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_grampa75
_Emeritus

Post by _grampa75 »

beastie wrote:I don't understand your question. You seem to ask whether or not steel existed in ancient America during the Book of Mormon time period, but the "evidence" you cite is a scripture from the Old World.

Richard Dawson;
What I was saying is that some say that steel was not invented until the first century therefore that would make the entry in the Book of Mormon concerning Nephi breaking his bow of steel totally wrong. But since the Bible also teaches that King David used the same weapon, a bow of steel, we know then that it had to be steel since iron does not have a spring to it as does steel. So the knowledge that some form of steel existed as far back as 1000 BC seems to verify the entry in the Book of Mormon when others say that it makes the Book of Mormon wrong.

grampa75
Paul W. Burt
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I don't know about that, gramps, but I do know that no steel existed in ancient America during the Book of Mormon time frame. No metallurgy existed at all during that time frame in ancient America. They knew how to work with metal outcrops, but no metallurgy, which the Book of Mormon clearly describes.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

As such, if there WAS steel weapons or implements of any kind there would be quite a bit of archaeological evidence showing not only its use, but harvesting of metal and its refining into. There has been nothing of the sort forthcoming. Especially considering the astronomical amounts that the Book of Mormon credits use of here in america for purposes of war.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Strong's listed the translation reference to steel in that particular verse of 2 Samuel King James Version as:
H5154
נחשׁה נחוּשׁה
nechûshâh nechûshâh
nekh-oo-shaw', nekh-oo-shaw'
Feminine of H5153; copper: - brass, steel. Compare H5176.

The God's Word Tranlation says this:
2Sa 22:35 He trains my hands for battle so that my arms can bend an archer's bow of bronze.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

The Reformed Egyptian word could have easily come up as Steel
in the Urim and Thummin translation.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

Again. there would still be evidence of the vast use of metals prescribed in the Book of Mormon.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Re: Steel in America during the time of the Book of Mormon

Post by _Fortigurn »

grampa75 wrote:Did the people living in the Americas at the time the Book of Mormon was being written by the American prophets, have steel as it was written in the Book of Mormon when Nephi broke his bow of steel.
Anyone who doubts that steel existed during those times must not be well read in the scriptures.
The time that it was written in the Book of Mormon that Nephi broke his bow of steel was about 600 BC. But about 1000 BC this verse is written in the Bible concerning steel weapons.

2 Samuel 22: 35 He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken in mine arms.

This passage very usefully provides evidence for three important points:

* Smith using the KJV as as source for the Book of Mormon

* Smith having little or no understanding of when the KJV translation was wrong

* Smith having little or no understanding of Hebrew metaphor

The KJV is wrong to translate the Hebrew word here as 'steel'. It does not mean steel. Modern translations render it 'bronze'. Moreover, the Hebrew literally means 'and a bow of bronze is bent by my arms', nothing about it being broken. It is in the context of a laudatory ode, and is a poetic metaphor. It seems that Smith simply lifted it the phrase from the KJV without understanding that the translation was wrong on two points, that steel was not known in the Ancient Near East this early, and without realizing it was a metaphor.
Lazy research debunked: bcspace x 4 | maklelan x 3 | Coggins7 x 5 (by Mr. Coffee x5) | grampa75 x 1 | whyme x 2 | rcrocket x 2 | Kerry Shirts x 1 | Enuma Elish x 1|
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Re: Steel in America during the time of the Book of Mormon

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Fortigurn wrote:
This passage very usefully provides evidence for three important points:

* Smith using the KJV as as source for the Book of Mormon

* Smith having little or no understanding of when the KJV translation was wrong

* Smith having little or no understanding of Hebrew metaphor

The KJV is wrong to translate the Hebrew word here as 'steel'. It does not mean steel. Modern translations render it 'bronze'. Moreover, the Hebrew literally means 'and a bow of bronze is bent by my arms', nothing about it being broken. It is in the context of a laudatory ode, and is a poetic metaphor. It seems that Smith simply lifted it the phrase from the KJV without understanding that the translation was wrong on two points, that steel was not known in the Ancient Near East this early, and without realizing it was a metaphor.

I think you can add to your signature "grampa75 X 1"
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07