There is much the LDS have to offer the world in knowledge

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

wenglund wrote:
Runtu wrote:
why me wrote:I just love grampa75. He is going to be a tremendous asset to this board. I nominate grandpa75 to be the moderator of the Telestial threads. He would get those lazy buggers back on track. Do you hear me Shades!!

Stick around grandpa75. I like ya.

I like him, too. It's kind of refreshing to see someone who believes in the absolute goodness and rightness of Mormonism. I hope he stays a good long time.

I agree with these sentiments, and I hope that gramps75's fine example will cause these kinds of positive expressions of belief and faith (whatever one's world view) to one day predominate here.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I am certainly one for free speech and I would never ask that grampa75 leave the board. It is, in a comical way, "refreshing" to have such a poster on the board.

However, two things:

First, I haven't seen a post from grampa75 that doesn't include quotes of biblical threats to all the non-believers with some kind of massive, cataclysmic destruction that we have been told is coming soon, very soon, for the last two thousand years.

If that's a "fine example" of "positive expressions of belief and faith" and some of you here like to hear such stuff, then by all means continue to enjoy his posts. I have found them to be a not so thinly veiled attempt at judgment of others who aren't quite yet up to spiritual snuff. There is nothing absolutely good or right about it, in my estimation. He fits right in with the whole line of holier-than-thou Old Testament prophets. So refreshing!

Second, because, after some seventy odd years, he still thinks this way, he is extremely naïve or a poseur. I am not sure which, yet. But, either way, positive, it isn't. Fun and entertaining? Sure.

Just my .02.
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

gramps wrote:I am certainly one for free speech and I would never ask that grampa75 leave the board. It is, in a comical way, "refreshing" to have such a poster on the board.

However, two things:

First, I haven't seen a post from grampa75 that doesn't include quotes of biblical threats to all the non-believers with some kind of massive, cataclysmic destruction that we have been told is coming soon, very soon, for the last two thousand years.

If that's a "fine example" of "positive expressions of belief and faith" and some of you here like to hear such stuff, then by all means continue to enjoy his posts. I have found them to be a not so thinly veiled attempt at judgment of others who aren't quite yet up to spiritual snuff. There is nothing absolutely good or right about it, in my estimation. He fits right in with the whole line of holier-than-thou Old Testament prophets. So refreshing!

Second, because, after some seventy odd years, he still thinks this way, he is extremely naïve or a poseur. I am not sure which, yet. But, either way, positive, it isn't. Fun and entertaining? Sure.

Just my .02.

I believe it was Wade who used the word "positive." What's refreshing to me, anyway, is that here's a guy who believes in the absolute rightness and goodness of the LDS church without hedging or making excuses. A rare individual indeed in these forums.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hi Grandap 75...

I like you too! :-)

In terms of your belief that this is a great plan? Well... I disagree.

In fact that plan to me seems about as good as an ancient tribal nomad and a few guys who want power could come up with.

Certainly a God who could create this universe could come up with something a little less cruel and horrific?

I'm just a regular mom with no special anything but I'm telling you, I would never come up with a plan where 1/3 of my children are cast into outer darkness, and where everyone else except a handful of people will return to me.

I would never come up with a plan or allow a plan where the horrors of life exists as they do for the vast majority of humans throughout the history of our world.

I would never come up with a plan where my children's (those who didn't get cast off into outer darkness), choices during this little tiny blink of an experience determine where they will go for eternity.

I would never ever come up with a plan where families and loved ones are separated unless they believe a story that is nearly impossible for most of humankind to believe, and participate in various rituals, ceremonies, and ordinances that feel odd to most people.

I would never come up with a plan where ones eternal wellbeing and relationship are based on knowing passwords and handshakes.

I would never come up with a plan that is tricky and confusing and requires horrific acts to prove obedience.

I would never come up with a plan that, to embrace it one must disregard all sense of reality, science, and real world experience to believe.

I would never come up with a plan where I have a few special, chosen, elite spirits who I want to return to me and the rest... well... whatever.

I would never come up with a plan where women are degraded and demeaned and considered nothing but servants or possessions to men.

AND... I would never come up with a heaven where women get to be a polygamous wife procreating children for all of eternity.

If I were the Goddess of the universe, (and we really lived in a world such as you believe), I'm pretty sure I could come up with a plan that brings all of my children back. A plan where my children have as long as it takes to learn all the lessons there are. A plan where women feel honored and respected and valued as human beings. A plan that is pure, simple, and clear enough for everyone to understand and embrace. A plan where the nonsense of judgments, heirarchy, power, authority, special and elect sprits is absent.

In fact I could do it in about five minutes! ;-)

But... I'm glad you find such peace in your beliefs. Do you understand why others may not?

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

grampa75 wrote:
gramps wrote:Hi grandpa75.

You've got yourself hold of some mighty fine stuff! I haven't had these thoughts since back in the days when good Columbian was available.

Peace, gramps

Very good saying: ha ha

I wasn't joking, at all. Hook me up when you have a chance. No bogarts on the board. We are all friends here. And the old guys have to staick together, you know.
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_grampa75
_Emeritus

Post by _grampa75 »

gramps wrote:
wenglund wrote:
Runtu wrote:
why me wrote:I just love grampa75. He is going to be a tremendous asset to this board. I nominate grandpa75 to be the moderator of the Telestial threads. He would get those lazy buggers back on track. Do you hear me Shades!!

I like him, too. It's kind of refreshing to see someone who believes in the absolute goodness and rightness of Mormonism. I hope he stays a good long time.

I agree with these sentiments, and I hope that gramps75's fine example will cause these kinds of positive expressions of belief and faith (whatever one's world view) to one day predominate here.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I am certainly one for free speech and I would never ask that grampa75 leave the board. It is, in a comical way, "refreshing" to have such a poster on the board.

However, two things:

Just my .02.

Good Point my friend;
I guess I have been a little toooooooo cynical, and even though I know this terrible destruction will not be for another 400 years, it is US who will be the inspiration that may save our future posterity. God is a God of love for sure, and know that his plan is created to cause all people to live a better life, and in the eternities we will all come to be as perfect as Jesus Christ Himself. The Lord told his apostles to go forth and cry repentence unto the people. You might ask why I would like all men, and some women, LOL, to try and life in such a way as to reflect the light of Christ in them. Do I believe that only Mormons will be saved in the Celestial Kingdom of heaven? Yes, but I am not saying that eventually all people everywhere in the eternities to come with put their lives in subjection to the wishes of Christ.
Don't let my negativity be the only words you hear. We all have to question our leaders, and our scriptures and never take any man's word on the meaning of any scripture or teaching, and the same goes with me. All I have provided you is food for thought.
grampa75
Paul W. Burt
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hi Grandpa...

God is a God of love for sure,

It is nice to say and believe but I sure don't see it. Not in scripture, not in real life.

:-(

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

The "knowledge" gained from being LDS is neither great nor useful. It is trivial and boring, inapplicable to anything in life. The belief you must hold onto Joseph Smiths asinine and stupid legacy in order to live a good life is ignorant. Furthermore, you should be ashamed of promoting this material to others, as it is destructive and damages ones self esteem. You might not feel the same way I do but you should.

Mormonism is indefensible.

Mormonism is institutionalized abuse.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Sethbag wrote:That's really great. I've got a question for ya Grampa75. What do you mean by "at the end of the first earth"?

this guys gone nanners
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Bryan Inks
_Emeritus

Post by _Bryan Inks »

wenglund wrote:
Runtu wrote:

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

So what do you say when someone's positive expression of belief and faith says that Mormonism is wrong?

Does't that kind of put you in a quandry?
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

truth dancer wrote:Hi Grandap 75...

I like you too! :-)

In terms of your belief that this is a great plan? Well... I disagree.

In fact that plan to me seems about as good as an ancient tribal nomad and a few guys who want power could come up with.

Certainly a God who could create this universe could come up with something a little less cruel and horrific?

I'm just a regular mom with no special anything but I'm telling you, I would never come up with a plan where 1/3 of my children are cast into outer darkness, and where everyone else except a handful of people will return to me.

I would never come up with a plan or allow a plan where the horrors of life exists as they do for the vast majority of humans throughout the history of our world.

I would never come up with a plan where my children's (those who didn't get cast off into outer darkness), choices during this little tiny blink of an experience determine where they will go for eternity.

I would never ever come up with a plan where families and loved ones are separated unless they believe a story that is nearly impossible for most of humankind to believe, and participate in various rituals, ceremonies, and ordinances that feel odd to most people.

I would never come up with a plan where ones eternal wellbeing and relationship are based on knowing passwords and handshakes.

I would never come up with a plan that is tricky and confusing and requires horrific acts to prove obedience.

I would never come up with a plan that, to embrace it one must disregard all sense of reality, science, and real world experience to believe.

I would never come up with a plan where I have a few special, chosen, elite spirits who I want to return to me and the rest... well... whatever.

I would never come up with a plan where women are degraded and demeaned and considered nothing but servants or possessions to men.

AND... I would never come up with a heaven where women get to be a polygamous wife procreating children for all of eternity.

If I were the Goddess of the universe, (and we really lived in a world such as you believe), I'm pretty sure I could come up with a plan that brings all of my children back. A plan where my children have as long as it takes to learn all the lessons there are. A plan where women feel honored and respected and valued as human beings. A plan that is pure, simple, and clear enough for everyone to understand and embrace. A plan where the nonsense of judgments, heirarchy, power, authority, special and elect sprits is absent.

In fact I could do it in about five minutes! ;-)

But... I'm glad you find such peace in your beliefs. Do you understand why others may not?

~dancer~

This provides an interesting contrast to the OP, not so much in terms of tone (both were stated nicely), but rather by way of bearing out what I meant by "positive". With dancer's post she mostly talked about what she thought was WRONG about Gramps75 belief, while Gramps75's post mostly talked about what he believes is RIGHT and VALUED about his own faith. Dancer's post, whether intended or not, was closed-minded and disrespectful of differing beliefs, where as Gramps75 was open-minded and respectful of his own belief. Dancer's post was geared towards tearing down, whereas Gramps75 was geared to uplift and enlighted. Etc., etc.

I think the more we each are able to respect and appreciate beliefs with which we may differ, focusing less on what we think is WRONG with other beliefs and more on what we think is RIGHT or VALUED about our own beliefs, the more mutualy efficacious our interfaith discussions will be.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
Last edited by Gadianton on Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.