A New Understanding of the Bible....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

A New Understanding of the Bible....

Post by _truth dancer »

One of my favorite must read blogs is written by Greg Laden...a brilliant reseacher! He is an archaeologist, anthropologist, and evolutionary biologist.

Greg's blog, "Evolution....not just theory anymore," is fabulous and each day i find somthing to spark my curiosity and give me new information!

His article yesterday particularly fascinated me... The Bible as Ethnography. He shares some very intriguing insight into the Old Testament based on his extensive research into the lives of various tribes and groups in Africa.

From his article...

The idea is simple. God existed, alright, but he was a king. In this African tradition, the royal lineage lives apart and speaks a separate language from the rest of the people. There is a second special lineage of interpreters, people who learn the language of the king, which is essentially a sacred language, as well as the language of the people, and who acts as a go-between. No one speaks to the king. You only speak to the interpreter. Most of the time, the interpreter is delivering the word of the king, with a certain amount of communication the other way round.

Read the full article... Here: http://gregladen.com/wordpress/?p=451 It really is fascinating! :-)

Greg also has one of the best most extensive collection of material on global warming in addition to everything you could ever want to know about evolution!

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj