Mormons, Scholarship and Tenure - Just for mac

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Mormons, Scholarship and Tenure - Just for mac

Post by _Mercury »

While reflecting upon Mac's (laughable) comments concerning animal sacrifice a question came to mind.

To what extent have graduates of BYU's biblical studies/Near Eastern Studies/anthropology schools gained in the academic world? How do, when compared to actual, more (ahem) academically reliable schools compare when looking at their alumnis track record outside the Mormon bubble? This being, of course, outside the students taking tenure at a MormonCorp-owned schools?

The subtext of this post concerns the worldview of the student studying ancient languages and their laughable opinions gleaned from life as one who believes that reformed egyptian is somewhere out there,waiting to prove the truth claims of a convicted grifter and confidence gamer. And that by drawing laughable conclusions between unrelated ritual and belief ones methodology is fundamentally flawed. Being that the Mormon worldview is the ultimate pattern of interpretation to these McScholars, how can one trust their conclusions? How can one turn to them for research outside of their magical thinking and applications of "comparative mythology"? Specifically Nibley, the greatest mopologist in history is trumpeted as the pattern for Mormon scholarship but his research is neither edifying (unless your looking for excuses to hold onto your garmies) nor is it scientifically sound.

This being said, I am sure there are individuals out there who have studied at BYU and yet somehow obtained tenure elsewhere. But what have they done for their respective field? I'm all ears and eargerly await the denouncement of my thoughts with obscure papers containing no actual substance.

In discussing this matter with the head of my Anthro dept, she stated in no uncertain terms that BYU is the laughing stock of anthropology and its related fields.

And finally, as a personal shout out this post is an attempt for mac to change his major to something useful. I believe marketing/PR would be a good fit for ya, mac.
Last edited by FAST Enterprise [Crawler] on Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

for what it's worth, I have heard BYU described as an "academic laughingstock" in a number of circles. Of course, some of its programs are highly regarded, but overall it just doesn't seem to be taken very seriously. (Just my .02)
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Mister Scratch wrote:for what it's worth, I have heard BYU described as an "academic laughingstock" in a number of circles. Of course, some of its programs are highly regarded, but overall it just doesn't seem to be taken very seriously. (Just my .02)

I have found that there is some good stuff coming out of their engineering programs in particular but frankly, theres even better stuff coming out of a large number of state schools that are comparable if not surpassing BYU's technical achievements.

My brother, formerly an engineering student at BYU proclaimed the greatness of BYU through mentioning run of the mill achievements.

This pattern of justification is, I believe a pattern of Mormon behavior. MormonCorp often showcases their paltry altruistic works in an attempt not to further Mormonism amongst the general public but instead use it to strengthen their stranglehold on Mormons themselves. Its easier to b***s*** the converted than it is to b***s*** the general public.
Lost in time
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

VegasRefugee wrote:I have found that there is some good stuff coming out of their engineering programs in particular but frankly, theres even better stuff coming out of a large number of state schools that are comparable if not surpassing BYU's technical achievements.

My brother, formerly an engineering student at BYU proclaimed the greatness of BYU through mentioning run of the mill achievements.

This pattern of justification is, I believe a pattern of Mormon behavior. MormonCorp often showcases their paltry altruistic works in an attempt not to further Mormonism amongst the general public but instead use it to strengthen their stranglehold on Mormons themselves. Its easier to b***s*** the converted than it is to b***s*** the general public.

I have both undergraduate and graduate degrees from BYU. Maybe that's where I learned to do lazy research. ;-)
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Runtu wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:I have found that there is some good stuff coming out of their engineering programs in particular but frankly, theres even better stuff coming out of a large number of state schools that are comparable if not surpassing BYU's technical achievements.

I have both undergraduate and graduate degrees from BYU. Maybe that's where I learned to do lazy research. ;-)

Degrees in what?

Keep in mind that its the worldview im lambasting in this post, not the degree holder nor the degree.

So, how many of your classmates obtained tenure?
Lost in time
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

VegasRefugee wrote:Degrees in what?

Keep in mind that its the worldview im lambasting in this post, not the degree holder nor the degree.

Undergrad: Latin American Studies and English

Graduate: English
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Runtu wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:Degrees in what?

Undergrad: Latin American Studies and English

Graduate: English

Then those degrees are not under the umbrella of topics I am discussing.

Also the tenure question is moot unless theres someone you knew in the programs I have outlined.

im not trying to pick at all of the BYU alumni, just BYU alumni from "mormon-centric" (whatever that means) programs. Anthropology mostly.
Lost in time
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

VegasRefugee wrote:Then those degrees are not under the umbrella of topics I am discussing.

Also the tenure question is moot unless theres someone you knew in the programs I have outlined.

im not trying to pick at all of the BYU alumni, just BYU alumni from "mormon-centric" (whatever that means) programs. Anthropology mostly.

I took a couple of anthropology classes as part of my Latin Am major, and I don't recall ever talking about anything Mormon in regards to ancient American history. One of my professors, John Hawkins, has written some apologetic stuff, but it never came up in our classes. I think he's a fairly well-respected scholar of Central American ethnic self-identification.
Runtu's Rincón

_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

Mister Scratch wrote:for what it's worth, I have heard BYU described as an "academic laughingstock" in a number of circles. Of course, some of its programs are highly regarded, but overall it just doesn't seem to be taken very seriously. (Just my .02)

I can partially agree with this. There are definitely specific issues attached to a degree from BYU.

My BS degree in microbiology/molecular biology and I'm not aware of any way that the school has been a hindrance to me. I once had a potential employer in the SLC area mention that they prefer graduates from BYU (over UofU) because the undergraduates get better training.

I didn't get to interview at all of the graduate programs I wanted... maybe that had something to do with BYU? Again, not that I'm aware of. Back in the early 90s, before DNA made it's mark on LDS apologetics, I did have one grad program interviewer ask me about the genetic history of Native Americans, and how Mormons (not asking my views, particularly, but those of certain professors at BYU) reconcile the Book of Mormon with modern DNA studies. I believe I said something like, "duh... I don't know how they do it." I was accepted to that program, but I chose to go somewhere else.

I'm sure Mak will handle himself fine if he ever finds himself in that kind of situation.

And on the whole, I haven't heard BYU described as a laughingstock in any academic circle.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

My BS degree in microbiology/molecular biology and I'm not aware of any way that the school has been a hindrance to me. I once had a potential employer in the SLC area mention that they prefer graduates from BYU (over UofU) because the undergraduates get better training.

Two students are just finishing up at the urinals of the men's room. The BYU student exclaims, "they teach us to always wash our hands after we pee at BYU". The other student replies, "well at the UofU they teach us not to pee on our hands". Besides this specific lesson learned at BYU, undoubtedly employers have found them to be more compliant with taking orders in general.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace