Selek the Terrible -- and major freak show on MAD

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Great Cthulhu
_Emeritus

Selek the Terrible -- and major freak show on MAD

Post by _Great Cthulhu »

Holy Mackerel! Did anyone see the closed thread on MAD called "Jesus Sired in the Flesh by Elohim -- A Contemporary LDS Doctrine"

http://www.mormonapologetics.org/index. ... opic=22732

Check it out. It's all good.

The LDS basically ran for cover when the opening poster presented several recent quotes from teaching manuals and LDS prophets, implicating physical intercourse between god and Mary exactly as the Godmakers shows in a cartoon. There is even a cartoon for teaching your kids about how Jesus was made. It shows [Mommy + Daddy = you] and then a cartoon of [God + Mary = Jesus].

A non-LDS poster said, "Last time I checked the mere fact of sexual reproduction is not considered dirty or even taboo.
Yes my parents had sexual intercourse and so did everyone elses."

In response to this person who basically didn't understand why the LDS were denying this as a doctrine, a poster named Selek just blew up, saying:

Judging by their spawn, however, your parents have clearly not reached the level of holiness that our Heavenly Father has.

You are attempting to profane the sacred by diminishing Heavenly Father to a mere carnal being- which is the usual complaint the anti's make against the Mormons.

You wouldn't tolerate me speculating baselessly about your mother's mating habits- I don't particularly appreciate you speculating baselessly about someone far more sacred.

Holy cow! Who is this person?
Next to his avatar (a strange bird-like graphic) it says:
Group: Members
Member No: 2953
Mad, Bad, And Dangerous To Know

So he's been on their board for a year + two weeks, making 2266 posts, and earning him the proud reputation of being angry and dangerous.

Okay MAD, you must love posters like this. All the lurkers and potential MAD members are impressed, for sure.

I highly recommend this great thread for all readers of Dr Shades' board. The poor guy who started the thread (cksalmon) began with some good research and LDS quotes, and tried against all odds to keep the train on its tracks. I'd say it exploded in his face.

(Also noted: the one-two closure maneuver between Juliann and Skylla -- Juliann is a MADMOD, right. I guess we know who.)
_Great Cthulhu
_Emeritus

Post by _Great Cthulhu »

And there's this choice line from Selek:

These are our boards, and you have no more right to pollute them than you do to come into our homes and urinate on the carpet.

That's what you get for raising a legitimate issue of LDS doctrine. Apparently this is enough to make some seasoned MAD posters react with violent potty imagery.
_cksalmon
_Emeritus

Post by _cksalmon »

I don't know who got the thread shut down.

It was shut down by Skylla who quoted Juliann that the thread was ultimately speculative. Of course, it was nothing of the sort.

Perhaps it was offensive to some LDS, but that hardly ranks it as speculative. I think the sources demonstrate that the doctrine is a contemporary LDS belief. I kept warning posters not to invoke offense or personal attacks, at the risk of getting the thread shut down.

But the fact that it was shut down in less than two hours after it was posted (on spurious grounds) shows, I think, that a TBM poster on MADB was involved in its demise.

Best.

CKS

PS. And why on earth, Dr. Shades, does the board rewrite the word "shut" as "s***"? That's not my doing. What the h*** is up with that?
Last edited by Guest on Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
_Great Cthulhu
_Emeritus

Post by _Great Cthulhu »

(Holy s***!

...did you hear an echo?

All my sh-words are turning into stars. I guess this has to do with the security factor and it will go away once Keene get's the MAD-bombers kicked out....)
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

We had a similar thread here a while back, and it didn't get shut down, and we had a nice discussion about it.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Why is the word s h u t being asterixed?

[MODERATOR NOTE: It's been fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.]
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Well, first let me say that, as a TBM, I personally do not object to speculation that God the Father actually had sex with Mary to produce the physical body of Jesus nor do I object to non vulgar discussion of it. Frankly, I think sexual relations in this case is highly likely, but no more likely than by some artificial means.

A non-LDS poster said, "Last time I checked the mere fact of sexual reproduction is not considered dirty or even taboo.
Yes my parents had sexual intercourse and so did everyone elses."

In response to this person who basically didn't understand why the LDS were denying this as a doctrine

I looked at the thread. What doctrine are you talking about? In addition to my Stake calling, I teach the 11 year olds in Primary. In one of the very first lessons it was stressed that God the Father is the literal father of the physical body of Jesus Christ. However, no details are given. The most anyone can say about LDS doctrine is that Jesus Christ has his Father's (God the Father) DNA. As for what the Great Cthulhu seems to believe about LDS doctrine, it seems to be yet another case of FLR (Fortigurn's Lazy Research). Nothing published by Bookcraft or Deseret Publishing is considered a doctrinal work.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_Great Cthulhu
_Emeritus

Post by _Great Cthulhu »

You tried pretty hard, cksalmon. The LDS were the ones who got out of line with their disgust and anger. Quite a display.

So it used to be different when it was connected to FAIR?
_cksalmon
_Emeritus

Post by _cksalmon »

bcspace wrote: Nothing published by Bookcraft or Deseret Publishing is considered a doctrinal work.

But what of the Ensign, which published the article entitled "The Father and the Son: A Doctrinal Exposition by the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles” (Ensign, April 2002, 14), in which one reads:

God the Eternal Father, whom we designate by the exalted name-title “Elohim,” is the literal Parent of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and of the spirits of the human race. . . . Jesus Christ is the Son of Elohim both as spiritual and bodily offspring; that is to say, Elohim is literally the Father of the spirit of Jesus Christ and also the body in which Jesus Christ performed His mission in the flesh . . . .

Is this statement republished in the 2002 Ensign as "A Doctrinal Exposition by the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles" not considered a doctrinal pronouncement?

Best.

CKS
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Nothing published by Bookcraft or Deseret Publishing is considered a doctrinal work.

But what of the Ensign, which published the article entitled "The Father and the Son: A Doctrinal Exposition by the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles” (Ensign, April 2002, 14), in which one reads:

God the Eternal Father, whom we designate by the exalted name-title “Elohim,” is the literal Parent of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and of the spirits of the human race. . . . Jesus Christ is the Son of Elohim both as spiritual and bodily offspring; that is to say, Elohim is literally the Father of the spirit of Jesus Christ and also the body in which Jesus Christ performed His mission in the flesh . . . .

What of it? Did I not just say in my previous post that it is stressed, even in our lessons to young children, that God the Father is the literal Father of the physical body of Jesus Christ? I believe it wholeheartedly. But as you know (unless you've just crawled out from under a rock) it is possible for a homo sapiens (which God is) to be the literal father of another homo sapiens without have had sexual relations with the mother.

You'll have to find a doctrinal work stating as doctrine that God the Father had sex with Mary. And even if you did (you won't be able to), I would have no problem with the concept and not feel that it contradicts any other doctrine.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.