Pressure from leaders and Mormon Stories/John Dehlin

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Gazelam wrote:If [Harry Reid] has a testimony, then why did he vote against the council of the Apostles after they stood against Gay Marriage? How does any Christian vote in favor of Gay mariage?

Simple. Harry Reid was elected to represent the people of the State of Nevada. He was not elected to represent the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.

He's merely doing his job.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Gazelam wrote:Yeh, I noticed the link above after I posted it.

If he has a testimony, then why did he vote against the council of the Apostles after they stood against Gay Marriage? How does any Christian vote in favor of Gay mariage?

Hi, Gaz. Check this link out:

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2007/3-16/news/national/10204.cfm

Here is what your own Church spokesman said about the issue and also what Romney's position is on the matter:

Romney has said his religion, which forbids gay sex, shouldn’t be an issue.

“I’m running for a secular position,” Romney told USA Today. “I subscribe to what Abraham Lincoln called America’s political religion. The Constitution and the rule of law are the highest promises I would make in taking the oath of office.”

Kim Farah, a spokesperson for the Mormon Church, spoke to the Blade from church headquarters in Utah. She said the church has a strict policy of neutrality in politics. She said not everyone has the same views on the candidates, including Romney, or the issues they represent.

“People don’t realize how much diversity there is in the church,” she said. “Members are encouraged to be active in politics, but their viewpoints and who they decide to support are entirely up to them.”

It seems you think if one is a member of the church, she must support the apostles' proclamation or else she isn't a worthy member. But the spokesperson for the Church seems to think differently. Do you think the spokesperson for the Church misspoke?
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I like the end of the article where it states that the gay man was a Relief Society president.

When the vote was being taken regarding gay marriage, they were making policy. There is no "supporting the political constitution" when they are writing the constitution. Reid is a hardcore liberal and a supporter of the gay community. That makes him in direct opposition to the stance of the church he is a member of.

Simple as that.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Gazelam wrote:If [Harry Reid] has a testimony, then why did he vote against the council of the Apostles after they stood against Gay Marriage? How does any Christian vote in favor of Gay mariage?

Simple. Harry Reid was elected to represent the people of the State of Nevada. He was not elected to represent the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.

He's merely doing his job.

Ah, finally! For a change *I* get to make a "I hate to be contrarian"-type post! I actually think that Harry Reid should have been rebuked by the Church somehow. This waffling on the part of the Hierarchy is a form of them trying to "have their cake and eat it too," in my opinion. I think the Church should either abandon its anti-gay agenda, or rebuke Harry Reid. Anything else is spineless, imho.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Mister Scratch wrote:Ah, finally! For a change *I* get to make a "I hate to be contrarian"-type post! I actually think that Harry Reid should have been rebuked by the Church somehow. This waffling on the part of the Hierarchy is a form of them trying to "have their cake and eat it too," in my opinion. I think the Church should either abandon its anti-gay agenda, or rebuke Harry Reid. Anything else is spineless, imho.

I agree with you--that they should do one or the other--but not because they'd be spineless by doing nothing.

If they abandon their anti-gay agenda, then so much the better for the world. If they rebuke Harry Reid, all the more negative publicity. Either way, a win-win situation for us all.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley